Punchestown Day 2

He looked great, was going comfortably and jumped beautifully. Surely something went amiss.

He looked great, was going comfortably and jumped beautifully. Surely something went amiss.

he had one of his hardest races on very fast ground last time..thats what went wrong imo..same with Denman..should have left us with the Cheltenham memory for both horses

Last edited:
Getting back to the nitty gritty of it -plan c was to back Follow the Plan in running in case there was a pace collapse -got matched at 40s at the off but after my main 2 were out of the running I put up a lay of 1.55 to win on the race.Long story short Roberta was a decent winner for me but when I tried to lay him off at 1.22 I got a dose of shaky hands.

At least you didn't blow a tank at 11/8. Punters really fell for it.

Last edited:
I can usually tell when a horse is travelling well or not by looking at the body language of the jockey - to me, Ruby did not look at all comfortable and had been gently squeezing at him for quite some time before he pulled up - I don't think he was travelling at all for the last circuit.

Can't see any other decision but to retire him.

he had one of his hardest races on very fast ground last time..thats what went wrong imo..same with Denman..should have left us with the Cheltenham memory for both horses

He did indeed have a very hard race in the Gold Cup, maybe there's no fight left. I suppose we'll know in a day or two.

He did indeed have a very hard race in the Gold Cup, maybe there's no fight left. I suppose we'll know in a day or two.

what made me a little sad in the GC..as i mentioned on other thread..was that there was just nothing there after the last..it was as if someone had just removed his finishing kick..a weapon that was his strength.

when they came to the last two at Cheltenham..it was some spectacle..i'll never forget it..but after the last was just a little deflating.

that race was such a perfect swansong for those two horses

I am going against myself in the Champion Bumper but LoveTheHigherLaw at 12's and 14's with the money back offer in Powers is worth a saver. They reckon he didnt handle the ground when 2nd to Martin's lovechild Mount Benbulben at Limerick and has been crying out for a bit of good ground. Completely overpriced IMO. The fav is there to be beaten and with his high knee action may not be wild about the good ground. I'd almost lay him at 5/4. Kauto is definitely a better 5/4 shot than Waheeb.

well done :D

Like Some Wait in the last, had him backed on debut e/w at 16s and stayed on nicely, JP has bought him since

Luck was on his side, but I'm so pleased for Tom Doyle winning the Gold Cup -- a prize his talents richly deserve. A lovely guy who has been scandalously under-used imo since he returned to Ireland.

Today I backed Askanna at 80,Follow The Plan at 40,Golanbrook 44 and I laid Lord Henry for a monkey in the last at Cheltenham.
I lost a little under 83 euro.Sad.

Today I backed Askanna at 80,Follow The Plan at 40,Golanbrook 44 and I laid Lord Henry for a monkey in the last at Cheltenham.
I lost a little under 83 euro.Sad.

Could have been worse Luke....A guy I know had a huge bet on Kauto today.. One unfortunately he couldn't really afford! He couldn't be talked out of it

Last edited:
You won't hear me say this too often, but Mullins was good on LoveTheHigherLaw.

The ground on the hurdle and bumper course is a disgrace. Way overwatered and Elliott summed it up "what's the point" when talking about fast ground lover Steps of Freedom. I'm all for safe ground, but its dead ground out there.

Could have been worse Luke....A guy I know had a huge bet on Kauto today.. One unfortunately he couldn't really afford! He couldn't be talked out of it

I probably laid his bet on Betfair! I hadn't a clue what would win it, but had a Beef Or Salmon feeling about it. Just couldn't have him today.

Interestingly, NAMA had an involvement in the first four jumping the last!! They won't be happy that Roberto came down.

It was a dreadful race for a Grade One chase once Kauto bombed - even a reproduction of his 3rd in the GC this year should have seen him win in a canter.

As for the bumper - horrible whip use I thought.

Luckily enough when I bet it's from my own pocket.I have no credit card or overdraft but yet the bank felt the need to lecture me about the level of business I do with Betfair-a couple of years ago-tossers.

I probably laid his bet on Betfair! I hadn't a clue what would win it, but had a Beef Or Salmon feeling about it. Just couldn't have him today.

Interestingly, NAMA had an involvement in the first four jumping the last!! They won't be happy that Roberto came down.

:lol:

Roberta would have been a result for me -I tried to press the lay button but I got a dose of the shakes-not good on an iPhone.Touched 1.08.

My first time at the Punchestown festival yesterday, a good day out, just a pity that Kauto was a shadow of himself.

I was glad to see the very consistent Scotsirish win a big pot.

Back