Punchestown Day 5

granger

Senior Jockey
Punchestown Day 4

Hurricane very short at 4/6. Sure Binocular will come in for some support at that price. Am guessing Thousand Stars will make the pace

So Young remarkably short aswell. He is one I like though. Probably a race i'll just watch

Wishful Thinking has to give away some weight in the novice handicap

Last edited:
Your stamina astounds me Granger!! So Young has been a bit of a talking horse - First L has done it when it's mattered!! Major fan of Wishful Thinking - will give weight and a beating to these - NAP!:whistle:

Leave the woolly jumper to Stampy - best we could go today was a second place!

I do agree on their being alot of type on So Young but I thought he was going well at cheltenham in what prob wasn't ruby's finest ride and I see FL as a chaser of serious potential. I's like to think SY will have enough gears for him tomorrow... I woudn't be keen on taking 6/4 mind

Major fan of Wishful Thinking - will give weight and a beating to these - NAP!:whistle:

You might want to take some insurance on the fc with The greatjohnbrowne. Keen on this monstor myself. Getting almost a stone from Wishfull Thinking, he'll put it right up to him, and some!!

You might want to take some insurance on the fc with The greatjohnbrowne. Keen on this monstor myself. Getting almost a stone from Wishfull Thinking, he'll put it right up to him, and some!!

Point taken - does he not look like a bit of a boat though?

Just off the phone to someone who was in Punchestown yesterday, speaking to Henderson connections who said "Binocular wont be beat"....there was drink taken though....So I dont know what way to go.

I have two trains of thoughts, Hurricance Fly has had more runs this season than before, and maybe has had enough...The horse was peaking for Cheltenham and might not be as sharp here today...Binocular will strip fitter today than the last day and will be a major danger...

On the other hand, Hurricane Fly has been winning with ease in his races prior to Cheltenham, and won there with a bit left I feel, so the amount of racing he has had shouldnt be a problem...There has to be doubts about Binocular after his last run...

So im none the wiser.

I done a bet last night, Hurricane, So Young and Adrian Lewis in the darts at 4/6 who won, so I may cover that bet with a win on Binocular and see how that goes.

Either way its an all in day on So Young.

I like Tharawaat a lot in that race, was well beaten by Thegreatjohnbrowne earlier in the year but has a small weight pull and was quite ragged that day, will have improved for further experience much more than that one. I thought he ran better than his finishing position suggested at Cheltenham and thought he was well worth keeping an eye on to step up next time. Mr Elliot must have thought so too as he started at only 10/1 to beat Wishful Thinking and friends off levels. Not surprising he couldn't. Assuming the rain has or will hit the track, and I haven't checked, he has to be worth 20/1 today.

Last edited:
I like Tharawaat a lot in that race, was well beaten by Thegreatjohnbrowne earlier in the year but has a small weight pull and was quite ragged that day, will have improved for further experience much more than that one. I thought he ran better than his finishing position suggested at Cheltenham and thought he was well worth keeping an eye on to step up next time. Mr Elliot must have thought so too as he started at only 10/1 to beat Wishful Thinking and friends off levels. Not surprising he couldn't. Assuming the rain has or will hit the track, and I haven't checked, he has to be worth 20/1 today.

Ye are all trying to piss on my chips!!:rolleyes:

Point taken - does he not look like a bit of a boat though?

Yeah fair point, certainly a big horse who will be seen to better effect over further next year. Hopefully a nice bit of rain arrives. Will do him the world of good.

Mullins has given a great word for Blazing Tempo in his column today, so starting to become a no-bet race for me. Perhaps an ew bet to nothing on Blazing Tempo at 4/1 w/o WT. Bit of a cowards bet, but have been destroyed this week by the bookies........should be in hiding in reality!

Your stamina astounds me Granger!! So Young has been a bit of a talking horse - First L has done it when it's mattered!! Major fan of Wishful Thinking - will give weight and a beating to these - NAP!:whistle:

Leave the woolly jumper to Stampy - best we could go today was a second place!
Agree on SY but he was very impressive FTO - worth mentioning something Oran said earlier in the week regarding the Gigginstown House Stud horses in that O'Leary is running anything that is still in training, there's a chance he'll be ready for a break etc.

Binocular is becoming such an enigma I don't necessarily agree with Henderson.s averment - it was not the distance that beat him at Aintree - although the latest suggestion appears to be he needed the run !

At the moment he seems capable of running very flat or turning in a terrific run . His canter over Overturn at Christmas is very good form.

Binocular is becoming such an enigma I don't necessarily agree with Henderson.s averment - it was not the distance that beat him at Aintree - although the latest suggestion appears to be he needed the run !

We all know his quirks but if he hadn't run at Aintree he'd be 7/2 for this. The needing the run excuse sounds plausable to me. He'd have been primed for Cheltenham so surely having him at that level again would take time.
I've taken 7 on the machine. Too big.

We all know his quirks but if he hadn't run at Aintree he'd be 7/2 for this. The needing the run excuse sounds plausable to me. He'd have been primed for Cheltenham so surely having him at that level again would take time.
I've taken 7 on the machine. Too big.

I agree he is too big .

Grim staying chase there - poor old Fair Along hope he is just tired after hitting the last - perhaps Flint should have ridden him with a bit more restraint. I think he would be much happier back in staying handicap hurdles - shame he looked to have them all cooked 2 out the old boy

Superb performance by Wishfull Thinking there off top weight and I bet he did not like the rain softened ground much either.

Back