Punchestown Day 5

Was in transit during the race. Hurricane is some animal. His novice win at Leopardstown years ago is still the most excited i've ever been about any horse

Grandouet is a maximum bet at 7/2. He is more suited to running away from Cheltenham, and has 2 pounds less to give to Unaccompanied than at Cheltenham, hence bridging the 2 length gap. He would have won comfortably at Aintree imho, and I can't see past him today. 7/2 is huge.

Have had word for The Snuffler in the hunter chase. I have backed him at 60s and 80s win on Betfair for shillings, and 15s to place.

Went as low at 1.55 in running before finishing fifth....Youd think id have laid out.....:(

Grandouet is a maximum bet at 7/2. He is more suited to running away from Cheltenham, and has 2 pounds less to give to Unaccompanied than at Cheltenham

I thought he ran well at Cheltenham, just got chinned by speedier bred types on the quick ground.

I think Sizing Australia is a lay in the first at Ptown at anything close to 11/10.He isn't exactly a win machine,stable form isn't great and he disappointed at the meeting last year.

Beautiful Sound is a slow old boat who is well worth a place lay at around the 4/5 mark in the 5 o clock.

Grandouet is a maximum bet at 7/2. He is more suited to running away from Cheltenham, and has 2 pounds less to give to Unaccompanied than at Cheltenham, hence bridging the 2 length gap. He would have won comfortably at Aintree imho, and I can't see past him today. 7/2 is huge.

Good shout well done.

Cheers, delighted for the horse who I thought has been underestimated after Aintree.

I've had a savage day to be honest; am betting in very small amounts yet this, the Victoria Cup and the cricket (& double with Grandouet) has sorted out the month! There is something to be said about betting smaller - you really handle any downside better and a win is a win.

Apart from some grand finishes, wonderful efforts from horses and riders, what I'm taking away in a very positive fashion from five days of humungous fields is the stat that, as far as I know, 'just' two horses met with fatal injuries (JOE SMOOTH and CURRAGH GREY) throughout.

Now, it's difficult enough to hold onto novices who are up for it, but overall I feel the behaviour of Irish horses, and most particularly the Irish hurdlers at Novice level, is far superior to the British ones. The races tend to be run at perhaps slower paces than here, given the serious contours of the course, but it's not just that which perhaps makes the racing more orderly. There was a lot of commonsense used by jockeys in keeping some air around them, not too much bunching resulting in barging, and the general impression of excellent professionalism in the saddle and the way the horses have been schooled for presentation on course.

I have quite a nice selection of summery straw hats, so I'll take each one off in turn to those who've worked so hard to put on the festival.

The only caveat is - what the hell is it with that damn last fence?!

I think part of the last fence thing is related to an earlier point. In races where they've been crawling a little bit, there's a charge down to the last which means they're meeting it at a speed they haven't hit elsewhere in the race. Ok, that doesn't extend to all the races, but it might explain the carnage in the banks race yesterday where TheRoadToCroker fell at the last. They'd hunted around prior to then and just pressed the button heading around the final bend. Thrilling, terrifying stuff. Inevitable consequences.

Back