Punchestown Festival 2017

Any reason given for Bellshill not running.

As a Melon Champion Hurdle backer I want an impressive performance, the last thing needed is for them to think Yorkhill is their number 1 CH contender.

Surely Melon will be heading for the Arkle?

The only reason he's fav for tomorrow is Labaik's RR record otherwise he'd be odds on to beat him again IMO

I thought he absolutely trounced him in the Supreme

My plan is simple...Put 1pt on Melon around 6/4 or better and 1 Pt on Labaik 3/1 or better and if Labaik jumps off immediately lay back Melon even if at small loss if he doesn't jump off Melon will then surely hack up and you'll still be in profit

You get ready with the eggs if I am wrong :)

WPM has nothing for the Champion Hurdle. Melon was immense at Cheltenham given his lack of experience. Faugheen is a goner.

I think the CH theory for that horse was voiced after the disappointment of Fairyhouse. Ultimately the Gold Cup is the race he wants more than any other and Yorkhill is the only horse he really has for that realistically.

The stable availability list will determine it alright Euro

Killultagh Vic is their only other one with a realistic chance and he is prob gone at this stage

I know where i'd send him and it wouldn't be over hurdles

The stable availability list will determine it alright Euro

Killultagh Vic is their only other one with a realistic chance and he is prob gone at this stage

Sure I read they'd retired him. Can't think where though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rightdownthemiddle - Guinness Chase - Wednesday. Will go off favourite. Rightly so.

Last edited:
Front two in the Supreme are both smart, but if Labaik jumps-off, I think it's hard to see Melon turning the form around. I know he lacked experience, but he wasn't beaten for experience in the Supreme, imo - he was beaten for turn-of-foot, and on the same or quicker-ground at Punchestown, I can only see Labaik extending his advantage, tbh. I can't see any 3/1, but I figure Victor is taking a bit of a chance offering 11/4 about Labaik consenting, because I think he wins if he gets away with them.

Insofar as next year's Champion Hurdle is concerned, I'm in much the same position as Euro is with Melon, in that I'd prefer to hear Hobbs dismiss all talk of Arkle bids with Defi. Unfortunately, with Buveur D'Air in the same ownership, I feel there's a certain inevitability about a chasing campaign for Hobbs horse next season (though I'll be happy to be proven wrong).

Last edited:
To be fair, I have included him in a couple of (very) long-range multiples, and that's it.

If I hadn't lost my stones at Aintree and Ayr, I might have included another couple with him in the Arkle. Will take a look again after Punchestown.....if I have any money left.

Surely Melon will be heading for the Arkle?

The only reason he's fav for tomorrow is Labaik's RR record otherwise he'd be odds on to beat him again IMO

I thought he absolutely trounced him in the Supreme

My plan is simple...Put 1pt on Melon around 6/4 or better and 1 Pt on Labaik 3/1 or better and if Labaik jumps off immediately lay back Melon even if at small loss if he doesn't jump off Melon will then surely hack up and you'll still be in profit

You get ready with the eggs if I am wrong :)

Have the 2 points on Melon.

I'd be a confident backer of Labaik at that price if he was guaranteed to start. Don't see why Melon should turn it around, tbh.

Has to be a no bet race - too much guesswork as to whether he'll consent to race. If forced I might be tempted to go for the Tizzard horse actually - was taken with his Aintree performance despite doing my stones on the second.

Has to be a no bet race - too much guesswork as to whether he'll consent to race. If forced I might be tempted to go for the Tizzard horse actually - was taken with his Aintree performance despite doing my stones on the second.

No bet what? Get off the ******* forum.

Whatever you bet on, your money is either in good or bad depending on whether he jumps off. Surely that's just betting on a coin toss. Unless there's a different angle?

I've taken 11/4 about Labaik this morning (Coral).

Stakes are limited for the obvious reason, but if he consents to race with them, Labaik will be very hard to beat. I think he is a fundamentally better horse than Melon, and don't see the latter improving past him, in a straight fight (where I would have Labaik shading odds-on).

Melon is a 1/4 shot if Labaik RR's you will get close 1/2 by Dutching them if you box clever...................One of them is all but certain to be winning so it's a "I must have a bet Benny"...be nuts not too..Licence to print money IMO

Back