Punchestown Today

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

It's all about Biz Zeb. Thoughts on Sizing Europe back over 2m? I think he could give Big Zeb a real test but has to be at his very best to have any chance and his preperation for the race is anything but ideal.

The one I really like today is Byerley Bear 2.20 in the Grade 2 Novice hurdle. Anything around 5/1 in the morning will do me. He won a poxy maiden at Cork but did it very easily and Letter of Credit who won at Gowran on Friday was 3rd when he won his bumper also at the Mallow track. Jetson should finally get off the mark over hurdles in the 3.20 and the 5/2 currently on Betfair is more than fair. In the 3.50 I just have to back L'Ami in a handicap hurdle off a rating of 119. He looked very smart in October at Galway and any 16/1 will be impossible to refuse.

Big Zeb should win - they are not giving him away at 4/6 and after missing the best 4/6 shot of the week in Mourad - I'll give this one a miss - probably.

Having a miserable week and will try to get out today on three horses. Byerley Bear is my starter also - will take the fives ew - mullins yoke doesn't
look anything special and got an easy lead the last day and was the second string before the two favs got in a tangle down the back at Naas.

Benash is the one for me in the handicap hurdle that L'ami runs in. He was very impressive the last day at Naas and has to have this gluey ground. They think he is better than this grade and his penalty wouldn't worry me,

We have been lucky in bumpers recently and despite not backing my fancy Tusa Eire yesterday I think Steele'a Rock is the one with it in the book. It's not from a punting stable so you can obviously wait to see what the Market is doing before making you'd mind up.

Last edited:
Fancy Harpsy Chord to improve on his runner-up placing behind the highly impressive So Young at Leopardstown over Christmas. Was a costly purchase at Cheltenham in November after winnings his Point in impressive fashion and I think he can go one better today though it's interesting that VC are very short about the Mullins horse in the race the ex-French Raptor (who'd run down the field in a few Auteuil hurdles).

Best price on Harpsy Chord is 100/30 whilst Raptor is available at 9/2.

The one I really like today is Byerley Bear 2.20 in the Grade 2 Novice hurdle. Anything around 5/1 in the morning will do me. He won a poxy maiden at Cork but did it very easily and Letter of Credit who won at Gowran on Friday was 3rd when he won his bumper also at the Mallow track.

I wouldn't take the form with Letter of Credit too literally. LOC has improved due to a change of tactics. He made the running at Cork but was held up in his two next runs, including Gowran where he was rather impressive.

As much as liked the look of Rocco's Hall for the Thyestes, I am not convinced he would have beaten Droim Toll at Fairyhouse, who I think will confirm the form.

Last edited:
Trying to break my run of losers

I think there is a flaw in betting on Big Zeb today - I think he is better with a break between his races.

His chase record after being away from the track for 43 Days or more is:

His record when returning to the track in less days is
1F21FF24

so I'm laying today at the prices

but the way my luck is going :)

Last edited:
Superb ride and the horse did terrifically well to get up after making a mistake at the fence before the home turn .

Sizing for the Ryanair ?

Treble up for Mullins and Townend - good run from Earlson Gray in second too, judged on the write-up in the Post today it sounds like Mullins has bigger plans for the runner-up over fences :)

Treble up for Mullins and Townend - good run from Earlson Gray in second too, judged on the write-up in the Post today it sounds like Mullins has bigger plans for the runner-up over fences :)

Similar type to Golden Silver actually - average (relatively) enough form in France and comes to Mullins after a hectic career already.

My hunch is they will end up running him in the Gold Cup - owners seem keen all season on the race and Ryanair is a long long way second.

You are probably right but I think the jury is seriously out on whether he gets the trip properly over 3 miles let alone another 2 and a half furlongs

True Gal - plenty of experience under his belt (mostly at Auteuil) so hopefully he'll do well in the decent handicaps for the yard.

Interesting to see how Raptor goes in the next - poor enough form (relatively speaking) back in France so hopefully Mullins has seen something in him, looks to be up against a smart one in Harpsy Chord and if nothing else we'll get to see the strength of the So Young Maiden Hurdle at Christmas.

Back