Queally

Speaking as a regular Queallybasher, I don't need to see the race myself but after Dettori's performance on Farhh in the POW and Murtagh's in the Jersey, I'm more inclined to accept that all jockeys get it badly wrong often enough.

Last edited:
Speaking as a regular Queallybasher, I don't need to see the race myself but after Dettori's performance on Farhh in the POW and Murtagh's in the Jersey, I'm more inclined to accept that all jockeys get it badly wrong often enough.

Slightly surprised it has taken you until Royal Ascot 2012 to become more inclined to accept this! Surely Sparkler or Gold Rod got the odd shocker.

I would have said uncommon but not unheard of.

Extraordinary ride. He appeared to look for walls of horses as opposed to gaps and when the gaps came he hardly made any effort until the last few hundred yards.

Slightly surprised it has taken you until Royal Ascot 2012 to become more inclined to accept this! Surely Sparkler or Gold Rod got the odd shocker.

I would have said uncommon but not unheard of.
Touché ;)

Just took me until now to let people know I accept it...

Having read the piece on page 7 of today's Post, I've now watched the race. While I'm inclined to accept the reasoning of Richard Lowther in the Analysis - having met trouble, Queally seemed "resigned to the fact that his chance had gone" - the failure of the stewards to hold an inquiry was bizarre, especially as John Maxse is quoted as saying that they "looked at the ride closely...[but]...were not persuaded he would have finished any faster for a stronger ride". If they felt they needed to look at it closely, why not just hold an inquiry? And, in truth, if they really felt a stronger ride wouldn't have made any difference, they shouldn't be stewards.

I borrowed your last sentence and used it elsewhere Gus, hope you don't mind. I thought the most disappointing aspect of the piece was the implication from its writer that the only people that were annoyed about the ride were those that backed it. I think its closer to the truth that the only folk that thought it was sufficient was Moore, Queally and the stewards.

Under such circumstances, surely it's always better to hold an enquiry. At least you are then seen to be taking a proactive approach to such rides, rather than merely sweeping them under the carpet.

I borrowed your last sentence and used it elsewhere Gus, hope you don't mind.

I've seen your tweet, DJ, and have no objection although I'm disappointed you didn't include the words "by a noted judge" immediately after "as pointed out elsewhere" - presumably something to do with the 140 characters limitation.

Watched it again last night and even though I don't think it was sinister it was a poor ride probably inept and worthy of a suspension.I think Tom thought his chance was gone and decided to give him an easy time-the horse dcided to run on and made Tom look stupid.

If PD had won by a nose instead of losing by one, I wonder if the ride would be hailed a masterpiece?

I say that having watched it for the one and only time a moment ago. I got the impression he'd been told beforehand he was on a cert and that he should arrive on the scene as late as possible. Buick's quote after winning on Camborne at Royal Ascot came to mind, that he was on a favourite and should ride him like one, with bags of confidence. The big difference, of course, is that Buick won by daylight, going away.

I don't think Queally's effor was as bad as Dettori's on Farhh.

Though it was a complete horlicks of a ride, it's laughable to speculate he lost deliberately.
I know Tom Q is not held in high regard by some, but to suggest he deliberately threw the race in such amateurish fashion borders on the ludicrous, imo.

Last edited:
I've seen your tweet, DJ, and have no objection although I'm disappointed you didn't include the words "by a noted judge" immediately after "as pointed out elsewhere" - presumably something to do with the 140 characters limitation.

That was exactly the problem. I'm thinking of starting a company along the lines of twitter+, basically the same, but with 150 characters.

I have not seen this particular example of Queally riding moderately but I thought it was a pretty poor ride he gave Twice Over on saturday .

Back