Queally

I'm thinking of filing Graham Lee in the same box as Queally. Tactically hopeless. Looks great if it all falls into place for him but dreadful decision-making.

I got enough of a kicking from Noble Mission today to more or less walk away from the game until October -but while it was an absolutely dreadful ride which gave the horse no chance of winning I wonder if the horse is running over the correct trip-maybe front running over ten furlongs or shorter would be his game.

Coke and hookers in the shower?

:lol:

I suspect that there are two things that have stopped HRAC going right back to the top - despite the fact he has had these great Abdulla horses recently and Light Shift - and they are (a) concern by prospective owners whether each bout of lymphoma that needs treatment will finish him off and (b) his lack of a top jockey since Fallon - Quinn,Durcan and Queally are not an inspiring trio .

Dettori would be ideal - and of course square the circle as his dad rode Bolkonski and Wollow for Cecil in 1975/6

Last edited:
Another dodgy ride on Thomas Chippendale - didn't make the difference to the result but he let Hanagan pinch three lengths off the home turn.

Good ride in the handicap before though .

Last edited:
One treble does not Steve Cauthen make !

I was pondering after the Victoria Cup how different the rules are nowadays . Excellent Guest carried Bertiewhistle into the centre of the course but there would be no question of a stewards enquiry . In 1978 Yamadori did the same and won on the bridle but got placed behind Private Lines the second he had carried across .

One treble does not Steve Cauthen make !

I was pondering after the Victoria Cup how different the rules are nowadays . Excellent Guest carried Bertiewhistle into the centre of the course but there would be no question of a stewards enquiry . In 1978 Yamadori did the same and won on the bridle but got placed behind Private Lines the second he had carried across .

The same Yamadori had as desperate a dose of seconditis as any horse in trainin g if memory serves !

The same Yamadori had as desperate a dose of seconditis as any horse in trainin g if memory serves !

Indeed until Lester took over and they won the Spring Cup , the Earl of Grosvenor at Chester and then had the Victoria Cup taken off them - a horse of talent who downed tools the moment he put his head in front .

Last edited:

Indeed until Lester took over and they won the Spring Cup , the Earl of Grosvenor at Chester and then had the Victoria Cup taken off them - a horse of talent who downed tools the moment he put his head in front .

Loved Piggott on Yamadori (and so many others) but your minds are playing tricks on you, lads.

Those wins mentioned were in the spring of 1978 but the previous year Yamadori won four races from eleven starts - a very respectable strike rate for a handicapper - and was second only once, beaten half a length at levels in an amateur riders' race by Gunner B, no less.

Of the four wins the first was at Beverley in April under Eddie Hide. Led one and a half furlongs out and won by a length and a half. Hide was in the saddle again at Ayr in May - hdwy on bit to lead dist, easily - when he had three lengths to spare. He won again by three lengths at Beverley in September under Pat Eddery (rdn to ld ins fnl f). Piggott won on him at Ascot the next month when he led a furlong and a half out and won by three-parts of a length.

1976 Gus
2 wins 5 seconds 4 thirds and 1 fourth.
Placed Newbury Spring Cup, Thirsk Hunt Cup, Royal Hunt Cup in the days Frank Morby rode him. He improved with age unlike my memory !
Thanks for the info Gus.

No problem. To be fair, it would clearly have presented a slightly different picture if I'd included the 1976 information so we'll call it a draw.

What were the colours? I've got a picture of black and white hoops in my mind.

It's a funny thing. I was just starting to follow the game from 1975 onwards and there's a string of names from that era that trip off the tongue, not all of them particularly high class: Berkeley Square, Rhodomantade, Ardoon, Record Token, High Award, Coed Cochion, Jon George, Jumping Hill, Rundontwalk...

Rhodomontade - winner of the Whitsun Cup at Sandown in the hands of the maestro .

Gus you must be right but I am sure I have memories of Yamadori downing tools in the Lincoln close home and being caught by Captain's Wings . He then won the Spring Cup but again downed tools and just held on - maybe he just became very cute in his old age .

Rhodomontade - winner of the Whitsun Cup at Sandown in the hands of the maestro .

Gus you must be right but I am sure I have memories of Yamadori downing tools in the Lincoln close home and being caught by Captain's Wings . He then won the Spring Cup but again downed tools and just held on - maybe he just became very cute in his old age .

That Lincoln was run on the round course was it not ?
Black Minstrel was 3rd and stood at Clongeel Stud locally.
Watching Sports Stadium on RTE Saturdays in 1976 Yamadori seemed to run every 2 or 3 weeks and was always placed but never seemed to win.
His winning days may not have been televised in 77 and 78 on RTE so my memory is somewhat skewed!
All those names ring bells alright Gus; we must be of similar vintage !

Jumping Hill winning the Hunt Cup for Murless and Piggott in Murless's final year training . The old team reunited . Lester even did something sentimental for once and rode the horse in the Cambridgeshire though he suspected his ride Intermission for Jeremy Tree might beat him and she did in the hands of Pat Eddery.

The 1970s and 80s were the golden days of TV racing - BBC and an ITV 7 every Saturday - and weekday flat racing started with the Lincoln meeting, the Craven , Friday at Newbury, the old three day Epsom spring meeting, Sandown , the Guineas meeting , Chester , Lingfield , York , Newbury , Goodwood , Bank Holiday Monday and Tuesday at Sandown

Those were the days .

Intermission is in the record books as trained by Stoute to win the Cambs. Tree sent him to Stoute's yard shortly before the race due to the firmness of the gallops at Beckhampton. The funny thing is that I was sure the same could be said of John Cherry's win in the Cesarewitch that year but I've checked and the Form Book says the trainer was Tree.

This has rather hijacked the Queally thread. We should have a separate thread called something like "jumpers for goalposts" for boring old f arts who could simply put up the names of old handicappers for like-minded people to respond in an "ah Bisto" vein.

I am sure Intermission was a filly . Tree also sent Bright Finish up from Beckhampton and he won the Jockey Club Cup . In the hands of Lester Piggott for Stoute.

170 acres of gallops in Beckhampton yet they had to move stock a dry year.
M H Easterby when touring the place told Roger Charlton that Sea Pigeon did all his work on an all weather strip with him. Different strokes...

170 acres of gallops in Beckhampton yet they had to move stock a dry year.
M H Easterby when touring the place told Roger Charlton that Sea Pigeon did all his work on an all weather strip with him. Different strokes...

1976 ! The drought year .

No surprise Lady Cecil was already using other jockeys on her string and not only as the Abdulla horses - Queally was jocked off Hamelin the other day and Hughes was booked for her eventual non-runner at Doncaster before being diverted to Newbury .

I suspect it was only Abdulla's respect for HRA Cecil that prevented him from seeking a retained jockey well before this summer .

Back