Queen Elizabeth II Stakes

Guest_

At the Start
RACING NEWS : AIDAN O’BRIEN is still hopeful he can get Rip Van Winkle to Ascot on Saturday week for the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes. Foot problems have been the bane of Rip Van Winkle’s campaign and they again proved a problem after the Galileo colt’s scintillating Sussex Stakes victory at Goodwood in early August.
The QEII has been his target since then, but injuries continue to dog the colt who Johnny Murtagh rates among the best he has ridden. “We are getting there with him and are happy enough with the horse. I think there is a reasonable chance we will get him to Ascot, but it’s not definite just yet,” O’Brien said.

No Paco Boy or Goldikova to take him on, so will it be up to Delegator? I suspect Ghanaati will wait for the Sun Chariot.

Wasn't there an outside chance of Sea The Stars turning up in this if the going looked like being soft at Longchamp?

He was given an entry, but I suspect it was only an option if Leopardstown fell through as well as the Arc looking unlikely to suit.

A match up with Delegator would certainly be interesting to see how the pair have progressed relatively at a mile since the Guineas.

Current entries -

Aqlaam (likely runner)
Beacon Lodge
Famous Name (likely runner)
Gladiatorus
Poet
Virtual
Windsor Palace
Goldikova (virtually certain not to run)
Border Patrol
Delegator
Donativium
Lord Shanakill
Mastercraftsman
Rip Van Winkle
Set Sail
Zacinto
Ghanaati

I fancied Lord Shanakill at Goodwood and hope that a few have missed the fact that he finished lame. I'd be happy to go in again given some positive news about his well-being.

I don't think Lord Shanakill is being aimed at the QEII, he was switched from Jarvis to Richard Mandella in the US at the beginning of this month.

If RVW is fit and well in I would be very confident he would be too good now for Delegator .

I'm still not convinced RVW is a mile horse by any means, they have just switched to campaining him at that distance to avoid the likes of STS. I think there's a danger that he could be vulnerable to a top class miler such as Goldikova. That said I still expect him to have the ability to see off this lot.

I'm still not convinced RVW is a mile horse by any means, they have just switched to campaining him at that distance to avoid the likes of STS. I think there's a danger that he could be vulnerable to a top class miler such as Goldikova. That said I still expect him to have the ability to see off this lot.

I think he is a mile/10 furlong horse with little or no difference over the trips now that he has looked a far less complicated ride. The Ascot mile should suit him far better to the Goodwood version.

Delegator's defeat (Heartbreaking defeat in my case!) in the St James Palace would put me off backing him against the proven stamina of Rip. I'm not sure the stiff mile suits him and Ballydoyle will make it a searching test as well. I'd fancy Delegator to reverse form at the Breeders Cup though if they both went for that race.

Delegator's defeat (Heartbreaking defeat in my case!) in the St James Palace would put me off backing him against the proven stamina of Rip. I'm not sure the stiff mile suits him and Ballydoyle will make it a searching test as well. I'd fancy Delegator to reverse form at the Breeders Cup though if they both went for that race.

RIP will go for the Classic no doubt.

A match up with Delegator would certainly be interesting to see how the pair have progressed relatively at a mile since the Guineas.

Does anyone really believe it would be a contest??

A fit and well Rip would rip Delegator to shreds.

You're mistaken and taking form lines too literally (especially the Eclipse which needs to be put into context) if you think it wouldn't be some sort of contest. Delegator has the potential to be a better horse than Paco Boy, and should get within 2 lengths (probably much less) of RVW. He certainly will not be 'ripped to shreds'. Fans of Delegator can point to how close he ran Mastercraftsman, and an impressive (visually) Celebration mile victory.

I have to admit I don't really get it about RVW either. I'd give him an edge over Delegator, but not much more than that and am not convinced that either will necessarily win.

I think RIP will prove to be comfortably to good for Delegator - but that Delegator is a fascinating prospect for the Breeders Cup Mile imo.

Back