Queen Elizabeth II Stakes

Both Zacinto and Aqlaam have profiles which suggest that they could jump forward on previous form, even allowing for the fact that they have a deal to find. On the flipside, both, as well as RVW, have had serious training setbacks (Aqlaam has had two separate stress fractures while Zacinto was injured in March) which make them vulnerable. It's one of the most fascinating four runner races you'll see.

The time for backing Zaccinto was AP, e/w 3 places, I didn't as I never dreamed it'd cut up so badly, kicking myself now... As Rory says, as interesting a 4 runner contest as you'd wish to see.

Were you disappointed?

It was a bizarre race - Aqlaam was ridden like a spoiler. If a Coolmore owned horse did that to a Godolphin horse there would be team tactic accusations everywhere.

I thought it was a nice trial for the Classic and that given the way the race was run Zacinto was greatly flattered to get so close.

I agree totally. Aqlaam did not deserve that either. Was a shame. But pleased for Rip, always loved him and great to see one who had such promise, then loads of problems finally come really really good. :<3:

Rip is by far my favourite horse in training has been unlucky a few times and it was great for him in the sussex and now this Breeders Cup next oh ya

It was a bizarre race - Aqlaam was ridden like a spoiler. If a Coolmore owned horse did that to a Godolphin horse there would be team tactic accusations everywhere.

I thought it was a nice trial for the Classic and that given the way the race was run Zacinto was greatly flattered to get so close.

Why was Zacinto flattered? They went a proper gallop and there was no interference. Grimthorpes comments before the race were telling; they had shown up to win and certainly thought the horse was capable. I thought he comes out 2nd best on merit. After all that was only his fifth race. He could be tough to beat in the champion stakes on that showing for me.

Were you disappointed?

No not really considering the shocking tactics adopted on Aqlaam - treating a G1 winner like a pacemaker was bizarre especially as it backfired so badly conclusively proving that Delegator does not get a stiff mile.

Also Zacinto showed the much improved form I was expecting !

Why was Zacinto flattered? They went a proper gallop and there was no interference. Grimthorpes comments before the race were telling; they had shown up to win and certainly thought the horse was capable. I thought he comes out 2nd best on merit. After all that was only his fifth race. He could be tough to beat in the champion stakes on that showing for me.

I do not think Zacinto is within a couple of lengths of RVW. RVW was softened up by Aqlaam off a strong pace yet could still hold off Zacinto relatively comfortably in the end. If RVW has been given the opportunity to run a more consistent race through out, he would have shown his true level of superiority on Saturday.

Murtagh didn't have to lie up with Aqlaam though, did he?

I agree Aqlaam was not ridden to best effect, but I disagree he ran as a spoiler.

Murtagh didn't have to lie up with Aqlaam though, did he?

He had to make it a proper test over a mile so he needed to ensure Aqlaam was kept honest. Aqlaam was ridden from the front (first time?) knowing that Murtagh was going to ensure a strong test anyway, jockey kept looking over to Murtagh after moving him out to the centre of the track - it was just very odd indeed.

as you know did really fancy aqlaam so was sort of disappointed with run, but these 4-horse-races are notoriously difficult to ride. aqlaam looked superb beforehand, and was not ridden as a spoiler, but tried to set an "even" pace, rather than fighting for his head etc, and remember o´brien said in interview they did not run a pacemaker as it would have to be a group one spinter! everyone who read the big hills-article in rp knows what his main aim for the horse would have been - to ensure aqlaams best possible place, what else? - but horse did never move proper and seem to be retired now, so may have felt an old - or new - problem in any case.

zacinto was not flattered imo, but is a horse still improving big time.

He had to make it a proper test over a mile so he needed to ensure Aqlaam was kept honest. Aqlaam was ridden from the front (first time?) knowing that Murtagh was going to ensure a strong test anyway, jockey kept looking over to Murtagh after moving him out to the centre of the track - it was just very odd indeed.

Fair enough, but surely it is Murtagh/BD'S problem if a horse chooses to lie up with them? I would have expected someone to do it, as not to would have meant a repeat of the Sussex Stakes would be inevitable.

I didn't see the race but just saw the picture of him crossing the line. Did he get warm before the race and will this cause any problem at the Breeders Cup (I don't even knnow where it's on but normally hot).

Interesting piece. I think it may well be the case that Rip Van Winkle may be better running in the style of his Eclipse run.

Interesting piece. I think it may well be the case that Rip Van Winkle may be better running in the style of his Eclipse run.

Perhaps...he just looks a little bit more uncomplicated now compared to earlier in the season. I still like to see a horse that uses himself like the Rip does to stride on and use that cruising speed and early comfort zone he has to best advantage.

Edit - nice write up Prufrock.

Back