Rest Of Leopardstown

Agreed that was very impressive - but what speed did they go (it looked pretty fast-run to me) and did he have a hard race?

I'd prefer to see Notre Pere go for the National after a decent break than go for the GC - he certainly had a hard race!

Last edited:
Can somebody enlighten me as to where I have formed an opinion on the rights and wrongs of Cousin Vinny's fall?

Need to be bottomless for Notre Pere to line up in the Gold Cup I would have thought. Looks like he could be tricky to place from here on in as he will struggle off very high marks in handicaps and probably needs it to be barely raceable against some of the top 3 milers.

I thought it was a thorough test, certainly after half a mile I thought The Listener was setting too strong a pace.

Cheers UG, I had the same feeling - and the way he dropped away seemed to indicate that too, Mind you the change of trainer does not seem to have done The Listener a power of good... Anyway I'll interested to hear what the speed boys put up for that

O'Grady's Rare Commodity is the one they want against the fav in the bumper. No win situation for Sicilian Secret as regards his Champion Bumper chances. Anything less than a 15 lengths victory will leave question marks as to who is "The One" for March.

Quotes of 5/1 for Neptune Collognes are an over reaction in my opinion.. He won like the ratings suggested he should unless you believe The Listener ran to somewhere near his best and Notre Pere has improved greatly.

Well the Tote have been short on the four horses around Denman since his return last week so it's no surprise to see them be as short as 5/1.

I recall Carberry staying on Dorans Pride after a mistake in Leopardstown when most other jocks would have come off. A professional would certainly have had a better chance of staying on, simply because they go through it more often. Cousin Vinny nearly went at the first by overjumping and Patrick wasn't much help. It was unfortunate but you have ot think a professional would have been more likely to stay on and the stumble wasn't that bad.

FPTP is proving frustrating. They don't know whether to send him on or hold him up. Geraghty is a bit lost on him and he looks distance less at the moment. Gutsy performance from Cooldine.

Had spotted Alexander S in running to the last and thought his jock was far too easy on him. I'd be disappopinted with the ride and def think there is a plan with him. Maybe the Fred Winter.

And finally, Pandorama is going to need three miles over fences. As I mentioned previously, he is flat out all the way in his races. It's a good one pace, but still one pace and he will need to step up in trip to show his best over fences.

Meade is talking about the 3 mile novice hurdle for Pandorama now.

The Fred Winter was the race I was thinking about for Alexander S too.

MADNESS

Money going up to back Sicillian Secret @ 6/1 for the Champion Bumper during the Leopardstown race! Talk about hype.

4/1 with VCbet and 5/1 with Boylsports. More to do with the €100K/€4K reportedly laid by Ladbrokes on ATR than anything he did on the track today.

William Hill still 12/1. Can't last.

Last edited:
Neptune Collanges won well enough I thought. They certainly did go a decent gallop from the off but he was always holding Notre Pere having travelled well the whole way round.

Having looked at the Delloite replay again, I still think Paddy Mullins didn't help Cousin Vinny at all. He asked him for a big jump at the last, but set him alight too close to the hurdle and as a consequence the horse couldn't see a stride and overjumped the fence and pitched him.

Interesting to hear Willie Mullins say he did it to give him experience before Cheltenham, but he certainly didn't look to need a big jump and probably confused the horse, who certainly isn't the most polised hurdler, IMO.

Last edited:
Asked him for a big jump (hardly a crime), got the jump he desired only to stumble on landing...no need to over analyise it.

Was there any need to ask him for a big jump though? Whatever about Cheltenham, it's cost him a Grade 1 today.

All of that said, I hope this doesn't affect the confidence of either horse or jockey.

Was there any need to ask him for a big jump though? Whatever about Cheltenham, it's cost him a Grade 1 today.

All of that said, I hope this doesn't affect the confidence of either horse or jockey.

How many times have we seen top jockeys ask their horse for a big one at the last when it was not needed? Loads of times....and they all don't have a Mr before their name on the racecard.

Incidentally Patrick Mullins was remarkably lucky not to be seriously hurt by the horse that followed him through. Absolutely ploughed through him.

best be looking forward at the hurdles rather than looking around for dangers..i would imagine its easy to unbalance a horse by shifting position...why look round anyway?..if you must do it on the run in...poor judgement imo..we all make mistakes though

Back