Retirements & Departures 2012

Ballydoyle

At the Start
Wasnt looking good after the first @ Chelts 2.10 for Hidden Keel :( Shame as he was highlighted on yesterdays Morning Line as "Dark Horse to Follow"

He did pull up flipping quickly didnt he - couldnt really see enough to know what went amiss though - hopefully it wasnt him,it was tack or something....

What worried me more was when he pulled up behind the next fence and seem to go down at the back end and the jockey quickly jumped off and was holding reins. Plus on the next circuit they changed the angle of the camera to avoid the fence?

Yes, it looked like that to me, Bally. Could be the pelvis gone, or a hip. Very sad loss if he's had it. What are the chances of getting an update from Ch.4, I wonder?

Bummer-bummer-bum! First of the year, RIP.

Possibly not good, either, for THIS MASQUERADE at Exeter. This is a 9 y.o. gelding which has seen just six runs since kicking off in November 2009 - essentially, six under Rules (inc Bumpers) in two years, which I find very odd. I don't know if he started out pointing, but he has won and placed zero times up until today, and now he's 'standing behind a screen, but it doesn't look good' according to Matt Chapman. You do wonder why they've persevered with an aged animal that hasn't shown any aptitude.

Last edited:
Confirmed that THIS MASQUERADE is also dead, so the first day of the new year didn't bring much happiness for two sets of connections.

Sad to hear on the first day. Hidden Keel was such a pretty horse too. Commiserations to all connections.

God, the beautiful Hidden Keel, the pride and joy of the Longsdon yard. Feel like crying into my Pinot Noir tonight.

Our sport can be so bloody cruel at times.

He was extremely talented, too, with 10 visits to the win/place circle out of just 15 races before today's. Would it be too soppy to imagine that his late part-owner and breeder, Mrs Matthey, might be greeting him home?

He was extremely talented, too, with 10 visits to the win/place circle out of just 15 races before today's. Would it be too soppy to imagine that his late part-owner and breeder, Mrs Matthey, might be greeting him home?

Not at all Kri. I think that's a really nice thought.

Sad to report a couple of losses from the Pointing ranks over the turn of the New Year, and neither in racing incidents, at that.

Nile Moon, the former Howard Johnson and Ann Hamilton inmate who scored three victories last spring for Lucy Sutcliffe (culminating in the novice riders' championship final at Tabley in May), was reported dead over the weekend having suffered a ruptured abdomen at home.

The death has also been announced of Strong Weld, who suffered a fatal injury whilst out hunting with the Ledbury. Like Nile Moon seen to best effect latterly as a front-runner, Rhys Jenkins' pride and joy had won 16 Points and a beginners' chase, including four Points in 2011 at the age of 14.

Rest easy, both.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

Really devastating about Hidden Keel. I know a few people connected with the Longsdon yard and they all say that this one was the real deal. Tragic that he will not get the opportunity to show the rest of us.

R.I.P

If it's any slight comfort, Zen, then your HIDDEN KEEL connections might like to know how much his demise is regretted on here and elsewhere. I always think it's comforting for those viewing the empty stable and the abandoned rug to know that the outside world cares, too.

Really sad about Hidden Keel, he was a gorgeous horse. I missed the beginning of that race and wondered what had happened to him - my unobservant family hadn't noticed anything amiss.

Thoughts are with his connections.

RIP Hidden Keel

For once glad that visitors turned up when the racing was on and I was surrounded by very small grandchildren and had to watch the race on 4+1. Had a nasty feeling that something bad had happened. Charlie came to one of our racing previews a few years back. Very decent bloke. Rotten luck.

Sad to report a couple of losses from the Pointing ranks over the turn of the New Year, and neither in racing incidents, at that.

Nile Moon, the former Howard Johnson and Ann Hamilton inmate who scored three victories last spring for Lucy Sutcliffe (culminating in the novice riders' championship final at Tabley in May), was reported dead over the weekend having suffered a ruptured abdomen at home.

The death has also been announced of Strong Weld, who suffered a fatal injury whilst out hunting with the Ledbury. Like Nile Moon seen to best effect latterly as a front-runner, Rhys Jenkins' pride and joy had won 16 Points and a beginners' chase, including four Points in 2011 at the age of 14.

Rest easy, both.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

Sorry to hear about Nile Moon, he won a few quid for me last year. Sad about both.

Last edited:
Such a shame to be posting commiserations to so many connections on this thread already :(

Particularly sorry to see Hidden Keel go - such a lovely horse - and Echo of Light; that's not proving to be a long-lived sire line, is it? (Not that I'm wishing any ill on Dubawi - far from it!)

Any news on A P LING from Huntingdon who was taken back to the stables by horse ambulance? BW and I couldnt see anything obvious but there was no TV screen at the course so we are a bit in the dark?

Just watched the replay on the Sporting Life site, Bally, and as you say, nothing obvious there - he was PU fairly leisurely and I couldn't see him looking distressed. The site only says PU, too, nothing further.

Not mentioned on here, but MELODIE D'AMOUR, just after winning her race at Dundalk on the 6th, was injured and pts.

FATH, at stud in Oz at 15, died as a result of being bitten by a snake.

TOBELUCKYENOUGH killed at Warwick on December 31 (not sure if it got into the 2011 list, but he's not with us in 2012).

Back