Retirements & Departures 2012

Taken from David Pipe's website: -

Talking of the Long Distance Hurdle at Haydock, stable stalwart Buena Vista (pictured left) competed in the race twice, finishing third in 2008. He will not be lining up in this year’s contest however as our dual Cheltenham Festival hero has been retired. He never really fired last season and even a return to his beloved Prestbury Park in March (where he was bidding for an incredible third win in the Pertemps Handicap Hurdle) could not revive his fortunes. Nevertheless, he retires with a wonderful record – winner of nine races (a bumper, two chases and six hurdles) and perhaps more remarkably he managed to compete at eight successive Cheltenham Festivals. He was owned by Matt Archer and the late Jean Broadhurst who absolutely idolised her horses. When Jean sadly passed away in 2005 after a long battle with illness she left a trust to make sure that her horses were well looked after when she was gone and Buena Vista will enjoy a wonderful retirement in her paddocks.

Wouldn't say a lot of potential but still disappointing to see two classics and two deaths in recent weeks.

Shame that due to the nature of Ballydoyle and size of the operation he probably won't be remembered in 5 years time - easy come easy go.

Nomadic Way pts today aged 26. Winner of the Irish Champion Hurdle. Had been standing at Louella Stud since his retirement from racing.

Zaarito fractured his stifle at Killarney

That's a right shame.

He had a completely frustrating novice chase season, when he fell seemingly time after time in big events with the race at his mercy, but he looked like he was going to consolidate and become a decent chaser, at Grade 2 level at any rate.

It is all the more sad when we lose a horse with more to come. Whilst i reget it when an old stalwart passes away at the end of his career I feel this more ( perhaps selfishly) because I was really looking forward to Brindisi next year.
Odd coincidence that Brindisi is in the news today with even more awful happenings.

What an awful way to go, and such a loss for the yard and connections. I wonder what prompted him to jump out?

Poor Birindisi! My only winner at a hopeless festival, and surely had plenty of other big days ahead. Really sad

Back