Retirements & Departures 2012

Big decision for me to make, but ive got quite a bit of support and I hope shes going to be just fine and make lots of talented (if likely to be quirky!) Grapelets...

Kissed's dam, Gwynn, has produced 5 foals of racing age (ignoring her 2-y-o of this season), and they've amassed the mighty total of 23 career starts between them, so there might be a soundness issue with her offspring.

Neither Gwynn, nor her dam Victoress, managed to make it to the racecourse.

I said before the Oaks that she looked very weak and gangly. It's a shame she has suffered this injury but I must admit that I'm not altogether surprised.

We are lucky Coolmore bought him to race here. With his wild mane and tail was a real Crocadile Dundee of a horse; always as fresh as paint and the best reference horse of his class since Falbrav for ratings folk or just race fans who like to see a good sound honest genuine horse who wanted to race.

Miinnehoma just reported as having died at the weekend, aged 29. Grand old National winner. RIP.

RP 9th July 2012:
MIINNEHOMA, winner of the Grand National in 1994, died at the weekend at the age of 29.
Owned by comedian Freddie Starr, Miinnehoma was the oldest living winner of the Grand National and was a regular at Aintree for the popular parade of former winners.
During his career, Miinnehoma won 11 of his 25 starts including the Listed Philip Cornes Saddle of Gold Hurdle at Newbury in 1990 where he slammed subsequent Champion Chase winner Remittance Man by 12 lengths, the Grade 1 Sun Alliance Chase at the 1992 Cheltenham Festival and the Grade 2 Newton Chase at Haydock in 1995.
David Pipe, son of his former trainer Martin, told his website: "He was a wonderful old horse - a real character and he remained at the yard under the care of our former head lad until the very end. He was a great champion and will be missed by all associated with him."
Miinnehoma was also placed in other top races including the Welsh National and Cheltenham Gold Cup, but he will always be most famously remembered forhis Aintree win under Richard Dunwoody.

Such a shame, Norma and Dennis are going to be so sad. Big hole in the yard now, wish Id made it up to see him when I first went down to see Grape,but we didnt get there. Honoured to have met him - what a character !

Prime Defender

Prime Defender had a fatal heart attack on the gallops this morning. A personal favourite of mine and sorely missed.

The ex-Paul Nicholls trained Ramses De Marcigny had a heart attack in his field a few weeks ago, his new trainer had only had him a couple of months :(

Martin

**** Bollocks and Crap.Just seen one that if i remember rightly is a forum horse - So sorry Roddy, what a ****, such a shame.

RIP Mike Towey...

Last edited:
Back