Road to the 1000 Guineas

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
After such a tremendous Cheltenham I understand that it's hard to get too enthused about the flat but the Guineas are less than a month away now so it's time to get involved. This applies especially to the 1000 where the market leaders look very falsely priced. If Havant wasn't trained at Newmarket she'd be 16/1 and above. No form, all hype. White Moonstone is a Godolphin animal who won't have the speed for this - plenty of far better Fillies Mile winners have been
chinned at Headquarters.

The two French fillies stand out for me and I've backed Midnight Cloud at 20s. She ran a cracker behind Wootton Bassett in the Lagardere and the word on the street is that Freddie Head knows a thing or two about training the fairer sex. She's lining up against Helleborine in the Imprudence later this week.

I love getting enthused about the Flat! It's always great to see grass action again and SPEED, where horses are running in less time than it takes to cook a three-course meal. I sometimes forget, after all the staggering around in the mud, just why Thoroughbreds were created!

I haven't paid attention yet - although I should've done, so will welcome seeing some rationales posted for certain combatants.

I couldn´t disagree more about Havant. She is the one for me. The fact that she will run a prep tells me that they are aiming at the Guineas (instead of running the Guineas as a prep for the Oaks) and she is my only ante-post bet for a Classic race at the moment.

I love getting enthused about the Flat!

Well said.

Helleborine travelled like a really good filly in the Marcel Boussac but didn't seem to get home on the softish ground. She'd have a great chance of reversing the form with the winner (Misty For Me) on a faster surface at Newmarket.

Havant looks on the short side now but you'd be patting yourself on the back if you'd got double figures ante-post. I quite liked Cape Dollar from the same yard but there's not much doubt that they favour Havant over her.

I think Havant will be a St Leger or Oaks type, I dont think she will have the speed for a Guineas, especially on good or firmer ground.

I really like the filly that finished second to Havant in Newmarket. She won a maiden in Fairyhouse with a real eye catching turn of foot. Might be one for the Irish Guineas and than a tilt at the Oaks. I'll edit in her name later!

That's the one! Thanks Colin. Well worth having a look at the Fairyhouse race she won on the ATR website. The 2nd runs in 4.45 Limerick (Shelley Beach) and the 4th run in the 5.15 in Limerick today (Asheerah).

Last edited:
Most of you will be aware that a 'P' behind a horse's Timeform rating infers that they expect a lot of improvement from the horse.

As far as I can see there are five of these with entries in the first fillies' classic.

They are, with their Betfair quote:

MORNING CHARM (JGosden) 60 (winner of her only race, Newmarket in August)

WONDER OF WONDERS (APO'Brien) 110 (second in her only race as a 2-y-o and a beaten favourite at Leopardstown last month)

HANDASSA (KPrendergast) 140 (impressive winner at the Curragh in October)

ZAMINAST (DKWeld)200 (winner of a Galway maiden in July)

IZZI TOP (JGosden) 230 (promising second at Doncaster in October)

Obviously improvement has to be made an some, if not all, won't make it to the race but it might be interesting to keep an eye on these.

If anyone has any news or views about any of them please share.

Handassa disappointing the stable at the moment and might not be seen for a while.

I go away for a fortnight and miss things like this. Think you've found the winner here Euro and I'm tempted to join in at 8s to be honest with you. Will try and rate the card up when I get a second and like that she made the running easily too.

I think the Roger Charlton horse Pontenuovo (ran in France last year, connections paid 450k for her at the end of the season) could be worth a stab at 25s before she runs in the Fred Darling too, that Morny run is solid and she should bounce back after her disappointing run in heavy ground. Cape Dollar would be the other one I'd be interested in at 25s, she probably only needs to prove her well being on Saturday to shorten in the betting.

Havant is an embarrassing price although I respect her credentials.

It is worth mentioning that between me and Euro, we have found the winner of the 1000 Guineas for 4 of the last 5 runnings! :D

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of following Charlton this year, he's starting to get some good animals again. The name Pontenuovo brings back happy memories, won a packet on him in a Handicap at the Ebor meeting in the early 90s. I think Julian Wilson was involved somewhere.

Report in the Racing Post that Richard Hannon says that MEMORY will run in the 1000 Guineas without a prep race.

Hasn't been seen since a disappointing effort in the Moyglare at The Curragh in August.

Before that she had been unbeaten in three runs over six furlongs.

Has wintered well and Hannon confident she'll get the trip.

Anyone know of somewhere on the web where I can see a video of Moonlight Clouds win in the imprudence?

I've hunted round for ages without success. Those fucking arseholes at the RP are completely hopeless when it comes to properly covering racing on the continent and further afield.
When the Imprudence should have been up on RPTV it was full of pointless replays of Aintree races and geeks wanking off about the Grand National and it's history.

Top man Stan.

From the reports I thought she had won further. Helleborine got a bit caught in and may have got closer with a clearer run. Has to be respected though.

Back