Road to the 1000 Guineas

Godolphin would appear to be jinxed/a jinx (delete as applicable) as far as the early classics are concerned.

Does anyone have any theories as to why so many Godolphin horses appear to regularly to miss early classics through injury or fall off a cliff in terms of form from 2 to 3? I am writing from impression rather than data, admittedly, but this has been a pretty regular occurence for a while hasn't it?

I really liked White Moonstone last season and was looking forward to seeing her run. Thought she might have been a special filly.

I see little talk of Memory for this but she appeals to me as the one with the best chance of winning..

On what basis? It's obvious Hooray improved a lot from the Cherry Hinton to the Lowther so the Newmarket form can't be taken at face value. Memory is more of a danger to the French filly than Havant but I don't see why she should be shorter.

If this is true:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/cambridge_forecast_weather.html

and the ground has the word soft in the description then Nova Hawk should win by half the track. Her win at St Cloud last month is very very impressive, she pulls like a lunatic and then Pasquier gives her a couple of slaps about 1f out and she quickens away to win by 2.5L under hands and heels going away ears pricked. She looks to have really come on as a three year old and the time was quicker than Barocci's time on the same card. Take the 25/1 NRNB with Ladbrokes.

Make A Dance has been well punted in recent days and I can see why, similar profile to Ghanaati, from the same yard and that maiden she won last year at Newmarket was a hot time. The noises from the yard are that she's working very well and has really developed into a nice 3yo. I wouldn't go in at 16s but she's one that slipped under the radar when she was 40s.

Moonlight Cloud is too short for me now, I still maintain she was flattered at Maisons-Laffitte.

Last edited:
Gamla Stan -

Very strong words about Nova Hawk. Someone pointed me in her direction on Twitter but I did not give it much thought. BrianH is advising a bet on Make A Dance and Ghanaati was the first horse to come to mind. Almost a carbon copy with the profile, a bit too close for me.

Bugger. It's changed from heavy rain and thunderstorm to just cloud.

Still think she'll go on good ground and have a cracking chance.

Gamla Stan -

Very strong words about Nova Hawk. Someone pointed me in her direction on Twitter but I did not give it much thought. BrianH is advising a bet on Make A Dance and Ghanaati was the first horse to come to mind. Almost a carbon copy with the profile, a bit too close for me.

I'm very sweet on her, I've watched her run back and it's really really impressive. I genuinely would have my biggest ever bet on her if the ground had soft in the description but I've been quite restrained upto now.

Think Make A Dance has a good chance but like I say, she's the right price now.

Make A Dance has been well punted in recent days and I can see why, similar profile to Ghanaati, from the same yard and that maiden she won last year at Newmarket was a hot time.

On my figures, it was a decent time but it still leaves her a fair way short of the figures clocked by Maqaasid in the QM, Hooray in the Cheveley Park and Memory in the Albany. I've got those three well clear on the clock but Memory is the only one I think will stay.

Agree Gus but think Make A Dance is a lot more unexposed and more chance of improving than the three you mention.

All academic as Nova Hawk wins the race, not sure why the others are even bothering to turn up. :D

They sound very sweet on Memory . She is the one for me - her Cherry Hinton win looks the best form and best performance . I will be gobsmacked if Hooray stays.

Makes no difference. Connections never look at a race in a balanced, controlled way. So their opinions are generally irrelevant. Two pages the RP gave Hughes in his column today, absolutely pointless.

Thats a bit sweeping. Depends on the connections doesnt it?
Roger Charlton tends towards the pessimistic ive found and Gosden is always pretty realistic. I think Godolphin are good communicators too. Trainers have to look at races with some control or balance other wise they would end up overfacing everything

Last edited:
I like what Moonlight Cloud has done and think that 6.4 on Betfair is reasonable. Blue Bunting is proven and has fought back after being headed, a trait I like, has no stamina worries. Being an early season Group 1 many of the speed horses are done with a furlong out and it is the true class or stamina horses that come into contention. Should there not be true class then at 40/1 Blue Bunting is a credible bet for at least a place.

Thats a bit sweeping. Depends on the connections doesnt it?
Roger Charlton tends towards the pessimistic ive found

You'll be lumping on Primevere in the Pretty Polly, then, Clive.

Trainer states: "Her work has always been encouraging. I am pleased with the progress she has made during the spring and I hope she will handle the fast ground...I am hoping and expecting her to run well."

Back