Road to the 2000 Guineas

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Racing Post today:

Simcock has ground worries for Dream Ahead

BY PETER SCARGILL 10:50AM 29 MAR 2011

DAVID SIMCOCK is convinced Dream Ahead can show his true colours in the Qipco 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on April 30, but will not run his stable star "if the ground is on the fast side of good."

The Diktat colt, who ranges from 12-1 to 16-1 in the Guineas betting, won the Group 1 Middle Park on soft ground last season and Simcock said : "I really, really want to run in the 2,000 Guineas, but if the ground is on the fast side of good he won't go.
"It's a very important race but he's a young horse and has his whole career ahead. There's more likely to be cut in France or Ireland so they'd be alternatives."

Owned by Khalifa Dasmal, Dream Ahead finished fifth behind Guineas favourite Frankel, whom he topped the juvenile world rankings with, in the Dewhurst, but had impressed in winning the Prix Morny and Middle Park.

Simcock believes the Middle Park - two weeks before the Dewhurst - took the edge off Dream Ahead, who "puts everything" into his races.

"He puts a tremendous amount in and he's a horse where the longer between races the better," Simcock said at an open day at his Newmarket yard on Tuesday.

"After the Middle Park he seemed to be showing all the right signs but they were probably all the wrong signs. He was a little fresh early and it just was not him."

He added: "He looked light in the paddock and I know Channel 4 commented on it. He got best turned out and I couldn't see why. He was a different horse to the one that won the Prix Morny and Middle Park."

Another Newmarket trainer with his eye on the 2,000 Guineas is William Haggas, who could be represented by the unbeaten Fury.

As short as 20-1 for the Classic, Fury could make his seasonal reappearance at the Craven meeting.

Haggas, speaking on At The Races, said: "He's very well and we adore him. He's on schedule to make the Guineas if he's good enough. He will have a trial - perhaps in the Free Handicap as he's rated 103, though I'm also tempted by the Craven.

Following my post about Timeform 'P' on the 1000 Guineas thread, there is only one entry in the colts classic that qualifies.

WESTERN ARISTOCRAT (JNoseda) 160 (easy winner of a Newmarket maiden in October)

RICHARD FAHEY is facing a race against time to have Wootton Bassett ready for the Qipco 2,000 Guineas and has issued a warning to punters that his unbeaten colt is "only 50-50" to make the Classic line-up at Newmarket on April 30.
The Malton trainer's concern stems from a gallop over the weekend that left him doubting whether Wootton Bassett, who missed three weeks cantering at the turn of the year, would be ready in time for his clash with Frankel and company.
Fahey said: "We took him away to work him, and although he worked well, he had a good blow. He's come out of it fine and looks a picture. But we all know when the Guineas is, and it waits for nobody, and it may come too soon for us.
"We'll work him again this week and see exactly where we are with him, but at the moment I would say he's only 50-50 to run at Newmarket, and it's only fair to everybody for that to be known."

I am disappoint.

Frankel to run in the Greenham on Saturday.

The field:

EXCELEBRATION (M.Botti)
FRANKEL (H.Cecil)
GLOR NA MARA (J.BOLGER)
NEEMAS (Al Zarooni)
PICTURE EDITOR (H.Cecil)
SHROPSHIRE (B.Hills)
STRONG SUIT (R.Hannon)
VANGUARD DREAM (R.Hannon)

Frankel to run in the Greenham on Saturday.

The field:

EXCELEBRATION (M.Botti)
FRANKEL (H.Cecil)
GLOR NA MARA (J.BOLGER)
NEEMAS (Al Zarooni)
PICTURE EDITOR (H.Cecil)
SHROPSHIRE (B.Hills)
STRONG SUIT (R.Hannon)

OTB is a big fan of this horse, and I wouldnt be surprised if he is on later on bigging it up..

I'll have a stab:

1/6 FRANKEL (H.Cecil)
7/1 STRONG SUIT (R.Hannon)
16/1 NEEBRAS (Al Zarooni)
33/1 SHROPSHIRE (B.Hills)
33/1 PICTURE EDITOR (H.Cecil)
66/1 GLOR NA MARA (J.BOLGER)
66/1 VANGUARD DREAM (R.Hannon)
100/1 EXCELEBRATION (M.Botti)

Last edited:
"Neebras" - is that Glasgie-speak for no underwear?

It actually means a cresset or an oil lamp in Arabic.
Be interesting watching Glor Na Mara on Saturday. Not doing so well in his comeback but can still go very close to Frankel.

Glor na Mara will be a completely different horse on quicker ground. He won't be good enough to win but I would take Gearoid on at 66/1 E/W!!!!

There won't be enough runners for any more than 2 places at best. I'm happy to acommadate win only....

There won't be enough runners for any more than 2 places at best. I'm happy to acommadate win only....

Lay him all day - he'd struggle to beat his shadow running into the sun. One of the most over-rated yokes to come from Coolcullen in a long time. Wonder what 2 year olds the grump has this year because his three year olds are muck!!! Liked his in the maiden at Leopardstown - yard probably full of Teofilos!

Willi: never having heard of a cresset before, I looked it up, and it's a hanging brazier. The wonders of this forum!

Field for the Greenham:

EXCELEBRATION (M.Botti)
FRANKEL (H.Cecil)
PICTURE EDITOR (H.Cecil)
SHROPSHIRE (B.Hills)
STRONG SUIT (R.Hannon)

On The Bridle will be pleased.;)

Back