Road to the 2014 Cheltenham Gold Cup

No doubt a brilliant training performance in terms of a specific plan executed near-perfectly. I also don't believe that the horse's achievements should be denigrated just because he was active in a less-than-stellar era. But Kauto and Denman were simply operating at a different level at their best.

Which is exactly what you then proceed to do . I know perfectly well how ratings operate and how they are assessed but I do not have blind faith in them as you seem to do.

Does Brian O'Connell ride Last Instalment now that Bryan Cooper is injured? O'Connell rode him last time at Leopardstown when Cooper opted for First Lieutenant.

I am finding it difficult to see past Bob's Worth tomorrow . It sounds like he is quite a fragile horse but he has the best form - this year he has the ground on which he has been most impressive. He has already won three times at Cheltenham on the bounce .

Silviniaco Conti is very talented but the ground I suspect will favour BW . Last Instalment may find it too fast and FL has never beaten Bobs .

I am finding it difficult to see past Bob's Worth tomorrow . It sounds like he is quite a fragile horse but he has the best form - this year he has the ground on which he has been most impressive. He has already won three times at Cheltenham on the bounce .

Silviniaco Conti is very talented but the ground I suspect will favour BW . Last Instalment may find it too fast and FL has never beaten Bobs .

That was my concern with Last Instalment but he won a grade 1 on good ground at Leopardstown. They are not watering tonight as far as I'm aware. The Irish Hennessy win was quite impressive and it's one that should stay the trip.

Anyone concerned about the form of Nicholls runners and how that bodes for Silviniaco Conti? I was on Bobs Worth in multiples but they are all buggered now anyway and I'm not sure I want to take 2-1 on him. I've backed Last Instalment each way at 7-1 and it wouldn't surprise me to see The Giant Bolster run a big race but probably without being quite good enough. By 3.30pm I hope I'm not regretting backing Bobs Worth and looking back in hindsight that 2-1 was a gift.

Nicholls' horses are running to form mostly. The horse that Fingal Bay beat ran really well, Wonderful Charm needs three miles and stayed on well after being hampered at one point, and Al Ferof struck into himself.

I'm on the two Giggs animals each way. Beyond the front four it's a poor race with no sustance.

i can't believe triolo d'alene's price. ridiculously short. thought the same for synchronised 2 years ago though. think this is a stronger renewal but not by much.

think front 2 set decent yardstick and LI interesting. FL held on form and would be disappointed if he won but definitely a place chance.

Katgary ran a great race in the Fred Winter too. Zarkandar ran his best race of the year today too.

I would say his slightly fancied ones have slightly disappointed, but that can happen.

The main thing to focus on with Nicholls is right now he just doesn't have the same quality of horses as a couple of years back, and it's not an enormous surprise to find him at the end of day 3 with no winners.

He'll probably be Champion trainer. Just more of a Pipe type championship. As you say, lower quality nags.

Please Bar.....don't ever compare Nicholls to Pipe.

One is the best trainer that has ever trained a racehorse and the other......is Paul Nicholls!!!

Weirdly, it was a pipe comparison I had pop into my head when he announced about big buck's retiring yesterday - but I'm not sure Jonjo has ever particularly upset him? (Apart from beating his five out of sight in the world hurdle!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says plenty about his skills that he leads the table without a hatful of stars. And unlike m pipe his runners will survive more than one season

His runners have been running fine this week. I'm on conti today. For me it's a two horse race and only one has run to a genuinely high standard this season. Have all the time in the world for little bobs worth and yet always find myself opposing him.

I'm with Bar on this too.I wouldn't be to confident in the champ,ran a stinker first time out and if this isn't run at speed he will get done by Conti in a turn of foot.

Back