Road to the 2014 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Not sure if it was the good ground or an initial slow pace which made that a lottery. For a Gold Cup there were way too many in contention late on.

Everyone was expecting Last Installment to make it a test and it never happened.

No chance that's getting reversed. Two knackered horses at the end of 3m, jockey with the whip in his correct hand.

'Whip in the correct hand' is academic - what he should have done according to the Rules is put his whip down and corrected the drift.

I don't think he will lose it and it's to his advantage that Casey didn't stop riding, plus they came closest after SC swerved across the track and caused LW to move off to his right again but it's a close one given the amount OOH was carried over and the narrowness of the winning distance.

Last edited:
Its a good point about SC coming across the track. That definitely caused it. Russel had no chance to correct it

Inquiry brilliant, Russells account re Silvianaco's starting the drift trend was the key.

Thing is, under the present rules he would not have been disqualified anyway. He rode him correct, whip etc..

reminded me completely of mccoy's ride on synchronised two years ago. dead to rights the whole way round and then stays on to win.

silvi conti definitely worth backing over 3m trips next season. was absolutely cruising at the 3rd last again.

I might have seen everything now. Thought Davy had given up half way round. Astonishing stuff. Very exciting. Didn’t have a penny on him but I’m delighted for rider, trainer and connections.

Great to see another winner away from the powerhouses but this is more nortons coin than denman

Sc just didn't last home and bw has just past his best as suspected. Li was possibly coming down from a high

Not sure i will be rushing to back any of the principles for next years renewal

Totally agree re Norton's Coin. Poorest or should we say 'weirdest' Gold Cup for years. The two market principals (with all the proven Grade 1 form) go to the last to decide it and suddenly three outsiders whoosh bye as if they've joined in at the last fence.

Back