Road To The 2014 QM Champion Chase

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Old Henderhoop has really set the stage for his big drama to unfold and made the race a slightly better betting proposition to boot. Can just see him now playing to the cameras and milking the moment.

Have you worked out the Venetia Williams obscene price winner yet.

:D

Given her rich vein of form, I'm not convinced we'll see much 'obscene' around the parish. You never really hear her complaining about the handicapper taking a cane to her horses, and some might still get to the Festival on marks which aren't unduly harsh.

Her handicap entries are still ones to note.

Getting back to Alderwood, I'm thinking a Latalomne/Ven Ottery type showing, from a smart - though limited - 2-miler. He's pretty straightforward, and there are a few iffy types likely to take their chance

Old Henderhoop has really set the stage for his big drama to unfold and made the race a slightly better betting proposition to boot. Can just see him now playing to the cameras and milking the moment.

If SS turns up he wins head in his chest.
A search part sent for the others

I think you'd have to be a shade mad to back Sprinter Sacre ante-post. If he turns up, I'd be happy to take a shorter price than is available now, but the biggest risk is that he doesn't turn up.

The 2014 QM Champion Chase

17 entries stand their ground

Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
343/1-132 AL FEROF (FR) 9 John Hales Paul Nicholls
1213P-4 ALDERWOOD (IRE) 10 J P McManus Tom Mullins IRE
FP1-1131 ARVIKA LIGEONNIERE (FR) 9 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
452033 ASTRACAD (FR) 8 Raymond Mould Nigel Twiston-Davies
32P4-2520 BAILY GREEN (IRE) 8 Adam Scott Mouse Morris IRE
411P-41 BENEFFICIENT (IRE) 8 A Shiels/Niall Reilly Tony Martin IRE
11151-3 CAPTAIN CONAN (FR) 7 Triermore Stud Nicky Henderson
222(2)-11 HINTERLAND (FR) 6 Chris Giles Paul Nicholls
4520-10 KID CASSIDY (IRE) 8 J P McManus Nicky Henderson
F114-241 MODULE (FR) 7 Simon Clarke Tom George
511-3430 SAVELLO (IRE) 8 Gigginstown House Stud Tony Martin IRE
11-12111 SIRE DE GRUGY (FR) 8 The Preston Family & Friends Ltd Gary Moore
122-124 SIZING EUROPE (IRE) 12 Ann & Alan Potts Partnership Henry de Bromhead IRE
2/34U-12U SOMERSBY (IRE) 10 Camilla Radford Mick Channon
2513-U34 SPECIAL TIARA 7 Mrs S Rowley-Williams Henry de Bromhead IRE
11111-P SPRINTER SACRE (FR) 8 Caroline Mould Nicky Henderson
133-6621 WISHFULL THINKING 11 Diana Whateley Philip Hobbs

17 entries remain after February 11 scratchings deadlone
7 Irish-trained

Cheers DG. Captain Conan is interesting in this race now. Delighted I took a nice piece of the 45/1 on BF last week. Now 12/1! Henderson more or less confirming that Conan will go to the Champ Chase regardless of SS.

"Captain Conan is in good order and I think he will finish up running in the Champion Chase whether Sprinter is there or not, and Kid Cassidy will almost certainly run in it, too, so we might be three-handed."

Conan beat Sire De Grugy at Cheltenham last year over C&D in a novice chase. Fair and square. Granted Sire has most likely improved more since, but his worst performances have all come at Cheltenham. I have a strong feeling that Conan really suits the Chelt track. He looked the winner all over coming to the last in the Jewson last year only to be outstayed over the 2m4f trip. I saw someone post on here before that hey thought captain conan was 'Tripless'. I think 2m at Chelt with the undulating track and the hill is his perfect distance. If SS fails to line up, Captain Conan is a great bet even now at 12/1 imo....

Look at Sprinter Sacre's price on the place market on Betfair. He's 1.81. He's also drifted out past 11/10 on the win market. I think its odds against he runs now. Anyone who thinks they can nick some e/w value should do so now.

Al Ferof is worth one at 16s NRNB. He'll win me close to a bag if taking the Ryanair so I'm desperate for him to run in that but if SS doesn't turn up nd it comes up soft he may well take in this instead.

Please also note the below from the previews thread courtesy of Diamond Geezer:

'Champion Chase
Jimmy Mangan had BJ Geraghty on the blower earlier, the Sprinter is said to be working like a beast at home!'

I'm happy enough with arvika ligionniere E/W at various odds -another in my E/W multiples. I am liking the 'look' of my A/P multis! Getting confident of massive profit. Bring it on:ninja:

I'm happy enough with arvika ligionniere E/W at various odds -another in my E/W multiples. I am liking the 'look' of my A/P multis! Getting confident of massive profit. Bring it on:ninja:

I expect you were a lot more confident after you started adding Hurricane Fly as your Champion hurdle horse. ;)

Grassy even I couldn't leave HF out of my W Mullins Goliath bet .Like I said I will be seen and heard in Dublin Bay if that one hits the 'net'.
Mind you I've got 34 other bets covering 2/3 horses in each race. It's worked for me before -although it's 7 years since I won a tidy amount . Win and e/w multis -that's my bag.

Last edited:
anyone of the e/w thieves done sizing europe at 25/1 (nrnb)? pretty much the forgotten horse of this and if sprinter doesn't turn up (starting to look rather iffy) it's a golden price. it won't be a strong renewal if he doesn't and this good old horse adores cheltenham.

anyone of the e/w thieves done sizing europe at 25/1 (nrnb)? pretty much the forgotten horse of this and if sprinter doesn't turn up (starting to look rather iffy) it's a golden price. it won't be a strong renewal if he doesn't and this good old horse adores cheltenham.

Yep . Covered and mixed up Sizing Europe and A Legionnire in my e/w multis . SS in my win only multi.

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Back