Road To The Champion Bumper

About time we had this thread tbh - Raise The Beat will be a contender I hope.

Roger Charlton's dual bumper scorer Keys is being aimed at the race too and Mullins has 30 for it I hear.

About time we had this thread tbh - Raise The Beat will be a contender I hope.

Roger Charlton's dual bumper scorer Keys is being aimed at the race too and Mullins has 30 for it I hear.

Believe me, it's only one he has in mind for March...

Am I allowed enquire who else is up there, Rory?

118+ RAISE THE BEAT

115 KARTANIAN

115 PERSIAN SNOW

114 ENDLESS INTRIGUE

114 PROBLEMA TIC

113+ VIKING VISITOR

113 SHEER GENIUS

112 DYNAMIC APPROACH

112 LOVEY DOVEY

112 PRINCE OF PIRATES

That list is from the freely available "Timeform Top 10s" which can be accessed from the home page. The list was last updated more than 3 weeks ago, so recent performances will be missing.

Can anyone remember this one's name. Has won 2 bumpers for EOG earlier in the year and is being wrapped up for better ground now

Staying Article. Maybe I do have an idea about this bumper malarkey?

Or not - won a maiden hurdle last time, but still think it's the one you meant.

Last edited:
Well that's the end of the "keep your feet on the ground lads" from me!!

I'd imagine Rock On Ruby is up there now after the PAddy Power meeting.

It's very flattering to have another horse at the top of a Timeform list. It's a long way to Cheltenham in March and I get the impression from the syndicate that while it would be great to get there, it's not the be all and end all. He would have to be very impressive at Leopardstown at Crimbo I think to be going there. It set Zaarito back a season and RTB is the exact same type of horse. But isn't it a great problem to have!!

Thanks for the ratings, Rory. I think Raise The Beat is also top of the RPR and Topspeed ratings at present.

There is this doubt whether running in the Cheltenham bumper can set a horse back. it's true that the subsequent form of quite a few participants takes a dip but maybe that's true of plenty of other races for young horses.

I also think that there is an unconscious assumption made that as these are the best young NH horses of their generation that we see, they must be the best and so people are often disappointed subsequently. The reality is that a lot of the best horses don't necessarily run in many (or if they come from france any) bumpers or more specifically the cheltenham bumper and so we're surprised when they beat the protagonists of that race. Plus you also have the small matter of hurdles or fences in the way.

There have been several dual Cheltenham/Punchestown bumper winners.

Very interesting Rory,for years I desperately wanted to win the Chelt bumper,but having been dissappointed so many times on the long road, I`ve moved on. Something may turn up one day.

No bookies have opened a market on this race yet, but Paddy Power has priced up one horse, Accordingtojodie, at 12/1. Does anyone know why they might have done that? Perhaps connections requested a price?

But which connections, in that case? The horse has changed hands since his only outing so far, an odds on win at Galway on 28 Aug of which the Racing Post said "he certainly couldn't have started his career any more emphatically". Trained then by Thomas Mullins, he is now with Nicky Henderson.

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=513693&r_date=2010-08-28&popup=yes

Back