Road To The Champion Bumper

Impressive

Aren't all of Weld's first time out? No confidence in anything else in the market, although was run at a decent pace and no doubt the winner has plenty of ability. But like many of Weld's, they don't bring their A game to Cheltenham.

Last edited:
I thought this fellow was very impressive, and that the very high RPR, especially for a debutant under rules, of 128 is probably justified. His pedigree suggests faster ground should suit fine, so it's interesting to see Willie Mullins, of all people, saying he's inclined to give Cheltenham a swerve and think of the horse's long term future. He clearly must think running in the Cheltenham bumper didn't do some of his runners in previous years any favours.

Last season’s Champion Owner Gigginstown House Stud completed a treble at Fairyhouse today, when Lovethehigherlaw (completing a double for trainer Willie Mullins) landed the concluding Rockview Bumper.

Lovethehigherlaw, under Patrick Mullins, quickened well in the straight to eventually see off the challenge of promising newcomer Caolaneoin.

Afterwards Mullins Snr stated “Lovethehigherlaw did today what he had been showing me at home and I’m very happy with him as he looks a fair sort.”

“I don’t want to bring him to Cheltenham and would prefer to think about the longterm picture but will talk to his owners before making a decision. I would prefer instead to run in the Grade 1 bumper Punchestown and possibly take in a winners’ bumper before then.”

Gigginstown House Stud's treble was their second in all and was achieved just eight days after gaining their first hat-trick, at Punchestown on January 8.
Thomas Weekes

Last edited:
Does this race leave it's mark - since Montelado and Florida Pearl what have the rest done?? With all Willie Mullins fire power over the last 7-8 seasons he has yet to win a championship race at the festival ( big four) ?? Is this serious under-achievement or does he and his owners not just care?

Since Florida Pearl:

Alexander Banquet 2 G1 hurdles, a Grade 1 chase, placed in RSA Chase, Heineken and Irish Hennessy
Monsignor 2 G1 hurdles inc RSA
Joe Cullen nothing
Pizarro 2nd in RSA hurdle, 2 Grade 1 chases.
Liberman and Total Enjoyment nothing much
Missed That 2 G1 chases and a G2 chase
Hairy Molly Cork All Star and Cousin Vinny all disappointed
Dunguib, Cue Card too early to say

Race is either to hard on the whole field or not - cannot just be the winner. Champion Bumper has produced any number of top class horses even outside of the winner.

Race is either to hard on the whole field or not - cannot just be the winner. Champion Bumper has produced any number of top class horses even outside of the winner.

It has never produced a Champion Hurdler, Champion Chaser, Champion Staying Hurdler or Gold Cup Winner. It's a race a lot of stables try to win but if I was lucky enough to have one good enough I'd swerve a busy bumper career and give the animal a chance.

Is that because the race is too hard on the horse or perhaps that a bumper demands different requirements than say those races you named?

It has never produced a Champion Hurdler, Champion Chaser, Champion Staying Hurdler or Gold Cup Winner.

It's a mixed bunch but there have only been 20 odd winners and you expect them to have won one of four races. Therefore being champion at 5 and 9? There are not too many that do that even if they don't win the Cheltenham bumper. Best Mate is a good example.

Alexander Banquet - too slow
Monsignor - injured
Joe Cullen nothing - was nothing before the race too
Pizarro - too slow
Liberman - couldn't jump and they knew it
Total Enjoyment - a mare....how many of them win a Gold Cup!!
Missed That - what did he run in at Cheltenham?
Hairy Molly - too slow
Cork All Star - didn't step up
Cousin Vinny - too slow
Dunguib - unproven
Cue Card - don't know
Monetelado - did ok
Florida Pearl - didn't stay and too old when they went the One Man route
Mucklemeg - died
Dato Star - a right horse but only on soft ground

Florida Pearl is the best horse to have won the bumper by a mile. Monsigor hacked up at Cheltenham the following year but in general the winners have been dissapointing.

Felix Yonger, runner up to Bold Optimist goes tomorrow at Musselbrough, now with Howard Johnson in the Wylie colours

Hope he wins for the sake of the horse!!:ninja:

:lol::lol:

I'll be intrigued to see how he gets on. He was a bit of a maggot in the parade ring the last day, but it was harmless stuff. In most people's eyes...

The fact he's running so soon after changing stables might be a negative, but I guess they want to get him qualified for Cheltenham. At Leopardstown he won the battle on the far rail, despite losing momentum and having to be switched in testing ground. He tried to pick up again when Bold Optimist came late and wide but couldn't match that one.

Well, Felix got the job done, but it wasn't straightforward.

His head carriage reminded me of Monksfield, he seemed to be looking for his girlfriend in the stands as they came up the straight. And like Monksfield, he showed good resolution, fighting back when he was leaned into. But, unlike the great Monksfield, Brian Hughes had a hard job getting him to concentrate, he was inclined to wander and I don't think he was helped by going left handed.

He has a bit of talent, but it's going to take skill to get the best out of him.

Last edited:
Back