Road to the Champion Chase 2011

My pal Rory maintains that Flyingbolt's Champion Chase was a poorly-contested affair that even Woolcombe Folly could have won.

:D

It's one thing saying, with the benefit of hindsight, that some horses would have been better off avoiding Cheltenham. But decisions have to be taken beforehand.

Of course Grey has recently had to consider this exact point with his own horse!!

He was a dual Grade 3 winner (and 4 out of 5 in all) over fences Bar before they went back hurdling with him after his defeat in the Drinmore.

Somersby is more than entitled to run in Champion Chase. I wonder are the same people who said the Ryanair would dillute the Champion Chase are now saying Somersby should run in the 2m4f option?

Championship race V a graded tin pot race. Hen should be applauded for not ducking the big two in Big Zeb and Master Minded.

Yep, I'd say that's fair comment.

Whilst I don't agree that the Ryanair Chase is a "tin pot" race, fair play to Hen for having a dash at the big two. Somersby probably does have a better chance in the longer race, and she's being pretty ballsy in going for the Champion Chase instead.

Name me one horse who has had the Rynair as its intended target all year who would not have a realistic chance in the CC or GC.?. It's a graded tin pot race.

Name me one horse who has had the Rynair as its intended target all year who would not have a realistic chance in the CC or GC.?. It's a graded tin pot race.

Tranquil Sea? Did the connections of Imperial Commander feel it was a tin pot race or an intermediate championship race and a stepping stone to the holy Grail! Arkle as a novice, Ryanair as a sophmore and the GC the next year - the perfect route for a progressive chaser??

Tranquil Sea? Did the connections of Imperial Commander feel it was a tin pot race or an intermediate championship race and a stepping stone to the holy Grail! Arkle as a novice, Ryanair as a sophmore and the GC the next year - the perfect route for a progressive chaser??

Please don't let one horse judge your opinion. The Ryanair is a race for horses ducking the CC and GC and has mainly been won by good handicappers.

Fondmort and Our Vic were verging on top class. It's a race for horses who don't stay the Gold Cup trip and aren't fast enough for the QM. Native Upmanship's runs in the two miler were the blueprint for the Ryanair's introduction.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree about the Ryanair. The quality has improved and I think it's up to scratch as a grade 1 chase. The last three winners since it became a Grade 1 are all multiple grade 1 winners. Taranis who won it four years ago also went on to win a Grade 1 before getting injured - My guess is his would have become a multiple grade 1 winner.

It's often a good heat to bet in as well as there is usually a bit of value.

Back