Road to the Champion Chase 2011

I'd have to disagree about the Ryanair. The quality has improved and I think it's up to scratch as a grade 1 chase. The last three winners since it became a Grade 1 are all multiple grade 1 winners. Taranis who won it four years ago also went on to win a Grade 1 before getting injured - My guess is his would have become a multiple grade 1 winner.

I'd agree with you. There have only been half a dozen renewals of this. It is a championship race itself and the likes of Imperial Commander has already won it prior to winning the Gold Cup. It fills the gap between the Champion Chase and Gold Cup very well.

I take on board all the points above. Would it not be a negative for racing in the long run if a horse like Somersby (8/1 chance for the QM) went for the Ryanair instead?

It's a tough one. Would One Man have gone for the Ryanair if it was an option in his day? Who knows.

It's a race that's a must if the Festival stays as a four day event though.

In terms of viewing the Ryanair is class. Fondmort was my favourite winner of it, he was some jumper of a fence. Perhaps in future years horses will be aimed at the race more openly and there will be less guessing as to who runs where.

Denman, Desert Orchiod or Limestone LAd were aso handicappers.

Poquelin posted a 170 in his ast race in the same course and clearly deserves his paceas favorite in the Ryan Air.

Last edited:
I take on board all the points above. Would it not be a negative for racing in the long run if a horse like Somersby (8/1 chance for the QM) went for the Ryanair instead?

I wouldn't see it like that, any more than a horse running in the Champion Chase rather than the Gold Cup. The Ryanair is a championship race at a different distance. They should go for the distance thay are best suited to rather than look at what the race is called.

He's headed for the Game Spirit before the Champion Chase... I've got half and eye on him.

I see Nicholls hasn't put Tataniano in the Game Spirit after all although nominating that race for him earlier... not heard anything about a setback.

Woolcombe Folly 8 Paul Nicholls 169 rated
Tchico Polos 7 Paul Nicholls 158 rated
French Opera 8 Nicky Henderson 156 rated
Cornas 9 Nick Williams 153 rated
West With The Wind 6 Evan Williams148rated
I´msingingtheblues 9 David Pipe 147 rated
Sports Line 8 Donald McCain 147 rated
Oiseau De Nuit 9 Colin Tizzard 146 rated
Panjo Bere 8 Gary Moore 143 rated
William´s Wishes 6 Evan Williams 139 rated

Last edited:

Somersby definitely goes for the QM according to HK on ATR today

Somersby was bought by HK just out the road from me here in Clare(from the late Tom Costello's yard). I distinctly remember being told that he was a future Gold Cup winner. Wherever he runs- Ryanair it looks like..he'll carry a few bob of my hard earned;)

Woolcombe Folly 8 Paul Nicholls 169 rated
Tchico Polos 7 Paul Nicholls 158 rated
French Opera 8 Nicky Henderson 156 rated
Cornas 9 Nick Williams 153 rated
West With The Wind 6 Evan Williams148rated
I´msingingtheblues 9 David Pipe 147 rated
Sports Line 8 Donald McCain 147 rated
Oiseau De Nuit 9 Colin Tizzard 146 rated
Panjo Bere 8 Gary Moore 143 rated
William´s Wishes 6 Evan Williams 139 rated

Woolcombe 2s on. Maybe the last chance to get on before the Champion Chase.

Did the Costelloes ever claim that about any other horse.

1 or 2 Luke..Best Mate the most recent. I think Imperial Call and both Cool's Dawn/Ground were sold from there...Florida Pearl & One Man were both pretty decent as well. Relative youth prevents me from going back any further:lol::lol:

Hen was asked by TFR's Chris Barnett about the Somersby - reiterated that she felt that the Ryanair was the wrong time to step him up in trip, and mentioned that he hadn't run well when racing beyond 17f before. Asked if he would be geared towards it next year, she said he'd be trained for the Gold Cup!!

Whether you agree or disagree with Knight about which race Somersby should run in, there's no doubt that it isn't a decision that she's arrived at lightly. Hope she's vindicated and he finishes a good second to Big Zeb.

Back