Road to the Gold Cup 2011

Kauto is the best chaser for a long and he doesnt act at Cheltenham.His festival record speaks for itself.

Long Run put up by Pricewise recently for the King George - still second favourite. Still think 16/1 e/w about Sizing Europe is cracking value for the King George.

Still think 16/1 e/w about Sizing Europe is cracking value for the King George.

Sure to go a lot shorter in running if he gets into that nice rhythm we saw at Cheltenham. I think the mistake the layers are making is in thinking his performance at Down Royal is as good as he is. The same mistake was made in the Arkle market.

Mad Max would have won that Arkle but for his mistake. SE has little chance.

Agree about Riverside Theatre - will go big on Kong Run each way.

The Arkle was won by the best horse in the race the multiple Grade 1 winning former Irish Champion Hurdler.What grade 1 was Mad Max ever capable of winning.

Mad Max would have won that Arkle but for his mistake. SE has little chance.

If my aunt has balls, she would be my uncle...

Why did he make that mistake Hamm? was his jumping under pressure, was the pace too much for him. Racing isn't about assumpions, it comes down to facts, the best horse won the Arkle

Mad Max isn't within an asses roar of Sizing Europe

Last edited:
Mad Max doesn't look hugely suited to Cheltenham, I think he is better on a flat track. I did like Riverside Theatres's performance at Kempton last time out, he looked extremely impressive, although he didn't beat a whole lot, he could be each way value in the King George.

JohnJ

I think Mad Max is one of those horses who flatters to deceive. There was a point as they were coming down the hill in the Paddy Power where he looked the likeliest winner in that race as well.

All I hear on this forum is excuses about SEs last 3 runs (he'll come on, wait till he's ridden more prominently, etc etc). He hardly merits inclusion in the discussion for this thread.

Where did I put up excuses for long run????

And what has that got to do with SE?

Sorry for criticising an Irish horse on here, I'll try not to do it again..

Where did I put up excuses for long run????

And what has that got to do with SE?

Sorry for criticising an Irish horse on here, I'll try not to do it again..

No it is just you take a dislike to a horse (in this case SE) and will not accept any possible excuses for him yet a horse that you adore (Long Run) you will happily ignore two disappointing efforts with no bother.

Sizing Europe has alot to find on form, but as I said he is 16/1 while Long Run, who has just as many questions, is 7/1 on the back of two poor efforts in respect to what was expected.

Long Run is 5 and open to a lot more improvement than SE. He also has (slightly) disappointed twice at Cheltenham, and wouldn't be the first horse to not run well at the track. His run at Kempton last year would give you a lot of confidence.

SE will never be better than a low 160s chaser. Talk of the king George is crazy.

Sizing Europe, in some respects, reminds me of Florida Pearl going into his King George. He is a horse that is vulnerable when conditions are not 100% in his favour, but is top class when he has conditions to suit.

Over three miles he needs a sound surface and most importantly (as over 2 miles) a strong pace - these coupled with a more aggressive ride will see a much better effort from the deBromhead horse.

All I hear on this forum is excuses about SEs last 3 runs (he'll come on, wait till he's ridden more prominently, etc etc). He hardly merits inclusion in the discussion for this thread.

I do believe you also heard confident predictions about him winning the Arkle including the father of the trainers assessment of his superiority over Captain Cee Bee.Nobody claimed he was going to retire unbeaten over fences.

All I hear on this forum is excuses about SEs last 3 runs

I'm not saying he's a world beater, but one of those runs was not long after a victory at the Festival and another was a pipe opener. Given his overall form, and his wins to runs ratio over fences, it's plain to see he's value in comparison to the likes of Riverside Theatre,Forpady.... and Nacarat. None of that trio should be shorter in the market.

He had no excuse at Punchestown, just not good enough.

At the Punchestown Festival? No he was not good enough against his elder horses as a novice at the end of a long season. He would not be the first horse to disappoint at Punchestown at the end of a long season.

My point is his last 3 runs leave him well short of coming close in a KG yet he has been discussed more and has had more excuses made than any other horse - it's bizarre to me.

They seem legitimate excuses to me, certainly not as bullshit laden as the ones made for Imperial Commander's previous trips to Kempton for example.

If Kauto's decline is here and now then this King George is incredibly wide open.

I cannot see why if Sizing Europe could not beat Kauto at Down Royal - why SE should beat KS where KS has produced the best performances of his career .

I think Long Run is absurdly short on his form - the time of the Feltham was 9 seconds slower than the KG although it had been run at a good pace after Tchico Polos went off fast .

Back