Road to the Gold Cup 2011

I think if Andy Stewart or Nicholls see Kauto and Denman are not what they were, they will switch Big Bucks quite quickly.

I don't know - would they really be interested in winning long distance hurdle races on the bridle for another season when they think this is a Gold Cup horse and it looks (albeit from this early point) as a very open year?

I think it will be pretty hard for him now to revert to fences particularly given the fact he was an iffy enough jumper.

I'm not sure struggling is entirely the right word ... remember he was quite young and running over trips much short of what he needs, which would put pressure on his jumping. When stepped up in trip he won the Grade 2 chase very well at Aintree, and ran with credit in the Hennessey, albeit with making a bad mistake - definitely worth another go over fences.

You could see him do well for sure - but I think he would definitely have question marks over him particularly around a jumping track like Cheltenham. Any "flat spot" would be exposed over fences.

When BB goes chasing again he will erase all doubts of his jumping in my view. However this will be in 2012 according to PN in last Mondays RP. " Almost certain to remain over hurdles for one more season with a campaign of about four races likely to kickoff at Newburys ennessey meeting and end at Cheltenham and Aintree".

Also in this article PN stated Kauto would likely start at Down Royal ,as he wouldnt want him at peak fitness for Haydock as he wants him spot on for Kempton. The JN Wine Champion Chase fits in perfectly as it gives them seven weeks to get him spot on for the King George. He is as well as he`s ever been so after Kempton back to Cheltenham for his fifth Gold Cup.

I'd really love to see Forpadydeplasterer targeting the Gold Cup - I think he was crying out for it last season but still ran some great races, just kept finding one too good at the trip.

I'd be completely the opposite. When he was a novice chaser they were talking of stepping him up in trip and I was talking to some of the syndicate pleading with them to drop him in trip and go front running. I still don't think they make enough use of him over two miles. I'd bang him off five lenghts in front and go as fast as I could. When they did step him up at Aintree, they held him up! You either believe he will get the trip or not but you have to have the courage to ride him the same way. People questioned if Kicking King would stay the trip but they raced him handy anyway.

Big Bucks would be very interesting. I'd prefer Sizing Europe to For Paddy if both got the trip. No point thinking about a novice so that knocks out Mikhael. They just got having the jumping down as a fine art come march.

When BB goes chasing again he will erase all doubts of his jumping in my view. However this will be in 2012 according to PN in last Mondays RP. " Almost certain to remain over hurdles for one more season with a campaign of about four races likely to kickoff at Newburys ennessey meeting and end at Cheltenham and Aintree".

Also in this article PN stated Kauto would likely start at Down Royal ,as he wouldnt want him at peak fitness for Haydock as he wants him spot on for Kempton. The JN Wine Champion Chase fits in perfectly as it gives them seven weeks to get him spot on for the King George. He is as well as he`s ever been so after Kempton back to Cheltenham for his fifth Gold Cup.

He stated that last year about Kauto and then didn't go there :mad::mad:

I'd really love to see Forpadydeplasterer targeting the Gold Cup - I think he was crying out for it last season but still ran some great races, just kept finding one too good at the trip.

Or he could just be a wee bit too slow :)

They are looking at a possible tilt at the King George with FPTP.

Have they managed to improve his technique, then Roddy?

He is a classy horse, but his style of jumping certainly let him down over fences last time.

Wasn`t much wrong in my view anyway ,seen lots worse jumpers than him go on and win big races. Sure that PN will improve him anyway ,and hope theres a few layers about come the big day. Lovely to have the problem really,hoover up the hurdle prizes and wait in the wings for the top chases next season.

LONG RUN has been given the unenviable task of attempting to dethrone Kauto Star in the William Hill King George VI Chase at Kempton on December 26.
TrainerNicky Henderson revealed the plan for Robert Waley-Cohen's five-year-old at his annual owners' day on Sunday, when the ex-French racer was among the many stars paraded in front of the 250-strong audience.
The Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham in November is the first target for Long Run, who has grown an inch since his last outing in the RSA Chase at the Festival in March according to his trainer.
Henderson said: "I've an inkling Long Run was over the top by Cheltenham. He'd had a busy time of it, having been on the go in France since the previous spring, and I believe that had caught up with him; he did not look quite right in his coat.
"After a break immediately after the festival he came back looking marvellous. Having grown an inch he has developed into a big, strong gelding.
"Long Run was stunning when winning the Feltham over the [King George] course and distance last Christmas; I'm sure that sort of three miles is going to suit him best, though there's every chance he will stay further - don't forget he's only a young horse."

I will soon be all over Long Run for this (13/2 with VC), and will be including him in a double with anything else I fancy in the coming weeks (such as Goldikova at 2s for the BC Mile).

I have been putting spare change from my Betfair account on Sizing Europe at prices from 85 down.small saver on Riverside Theatre at big prices.

As far as I know the plan is a 2 mile 6 chase at Punchestown in October then straight to Kempton if everything goes to plan.Michael o Leary tipped him for the Gold Cup in the Irish Times business section last week.

Back