Road to the Gold Cup 2011

Maybe so, Ardross, but how often does something that captures the media's interest happen?

How often do we get a clash like Kauto v Denman, or Best Mate's triple wins? It's only in the last few years that we have had a Gold Cup scenario that has briefly caught the attention of people who normally have no interest in racing - and even then that was probably only a small percentage.

I was surprised how many non-racing fans amongst my acquaintance knew about Best Mate going for the 3 and the first Kauto-Denman clash in particular.

That's the point though, Ardross, they were exceptional occasions in that even those without an interest in racing had heard of them.

How many of those who just view the sport as "horses running around in a field" before the football starts knew (or cared) about Garrison Savannah, Kicking King, War Of Attrition or even Nortons Coin? They are memorable to us because we have a passionate interest in the race each year.

Who, apart from racing fans, will remember Imperial Commander if he is unable to retain his crown next year? If he wasn't going for the double, would the mainstream press bother to give more than a passing mention?

People really are not as interested in racing as they were while I was growing up, there are too many other options sports-wise and also much more things for them to do on Saturdays and Sundays than was the case 30 or even 20 years ago.

Last edited:
People really are not as interested in racing as they were while I was growing up, there are too many other options sports-wise and also much more things for them to do on Saturdays and Sundays than was the case 30 or even 20 years ago.

That "interest" was only Red Rum related. I've already said it, if a sport cannot tap into Nationalism or Tribalism it'll never have mass appeal. How much of the interest generated by the Ryder Cup had anything to do with the actual sport? None of it. Same thing with Athletics and Swimming when the Olympics come round. No one gives two shits about joke sports like that, but bang the old flag on it and people lap it up.

Sounds as though Denman is going to run at Newbury (I thought they were going to give it a miss this year?)....would give something like Pandorama a very nice racing weight.

Pandorama is a horse to follow this year although i'm never convinced Meade gets the best out of his chasers. If he can get him right he is a serious horse.

That's the point though, Ardross, they were exceptional occasions in that even those without an interest in racing had heard of them.

How many of those who just view the sport as "horses running around in a field" before the football starts knew (or cared) about Garrison Savannah, Kicking King, War Of Attrition or even Nortons Coin? They are memorable to us because we have a passionate interest in the race each year.

Who, apart from racing fans, will remember Imperial Commander if he is unable to retain his crown next year? If he wasn't going for the double, would the mainstream press bother to give more than a passing mention?

Racing needs a unique event you don't see every day - the Grand National has the field size and the fences.

The Gold Cup - well it has the same birch fences, the same undulations and the same horses (to the general public at least) unless there's a real star performer like a Dessie (who was grey and stood out) or Kauto Star (won tons of top races and been racing at the top level since he was 3) then there's very little to market, other than the Britain vs. Ireland aspect that some in the press seem obsessed with or the drinking and alcohol angle the Festival provides.

The alcoholic side of things certainly seems to be more of the local once-or-twice-a-year racegoer's interest, IS.

Aragorn - looking forward to the 2m7f race at Punchestown on Thursday and hoping that they all stand their ground. If all goes well we should be in for a treat.

Sounds as though if both Long Run and Sizing Europe come through their first starts well, both will be taking on Kauto Star at Kempton. Yikees!

Anyone got any news or updates on Cooldine? I felt he was always going to struggle last year and that this coming season would suit him better.

Pandorama is a horse to follow this year although i'm never convinced Meade gets the best out of his chasers. If he can get him right he is a serious horse.

Noel Meade is praying for rain so he can get a prep run into Pandorama ahead of the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury on November 27th.
The County Meath-based handler has had to scrap plans to give the seven-year-old his first run since last December in the Star Best For Racing Coverage Chase at Punchestown on Thursday because of fast conditions.

"I don't know where he'll run first at the moment. He's not running on Thursday, the ground is far too quick for him," said Meade.

"He'll go for the Hennessy if he's sparking and all goes well in the meantime. That's the plan."

A prolific winner over hurdles, Pandorama immediately transferred that form to fences winning all of his three starts to date, including Grade Ones at Fairyhouse and Leopardstown last Christmas.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to see Sizing Europe tomorrow - while I have doubts about his stamina I have none about his ability. He is electric to watch particularly at Punchestown.

Was 4/5 on the machine earlier which is some price in my opinion but that's not to say he won't be a bigger price later on.I fancy Siegemastet for the forecast.

If they are serious about finding out whether he stays and goes to the King George, you'd imagine they would have to have him prettys straight today.

I fancy Siegemastet for the forecast.

I'd be mixing forecasts on Sizing Europe's three opponents, if he's not staying they won't tear the heart out of him to come second. He has shown a tendency to run quite slowly as he tires.

Having said that, it wouldn't be a major surprise to me if he stayed, the key really will be the first couple of jumps. First time out if he zips into them he could be hard to settle, if he stays relaxed I think he'll see it out well enough against todays opposition.

Will be very interesting to see what price he starts at.I have an idea that if Loosen My Load wins the bookies will take him on.

I think the advantage of a run the winner had was telling there. He also had the run of the race. I'd take in the King George, see how he runs there and then either the Ryanair or the QM.

I do not think the trip was the reason for the defeat (and I was the one with the doubts) - the market suggested this was not going to be a walk over. I thought he was just a bit flat/ring rusty through out.

Every reason to think China Rock probably underperformed last season - he always looked a useful prospect.

Probably didn't stay, but solely on the evidence of that race it didn't look that obvious. Over 2 miles his quick jumping is more of a weapon.

Back