Road To the Grand National 2012

One of the bookies reps commenting on the volume of money for it, said if it continued at that rate (unlikely) it could go Fav.

Although he's on my long list I find the notion of a horse that has not yet raced over three miles over fences going favourite for the National a bit bizarre. Comes here on the back of a two mile win on soft in Ireland. Time will tell whether this is inspired preparation.

I would have thought the bookies would be very keen to take money on this horse and am a bit suspicious of talk that money is pouring on (it is Katie rather than Ruby that's on him).

Last edited:
State Of Play now 18/1 with Bet365 to place first 5. Trades at around 12/1 on Betfair first 4. Massive massive price.

William Hill now 7/2 for the first 10 but that is still decent. Jumps and stays which won't apply to most. Should be much shorter IMO.

Last edited:
Think we'll see just how much Chicago grey has been 'looked after' 'protected' call it what you will! ��

Just enough, hopefully.

On this one, with According to Pete for EW value and Midnight Haze as the most underrated of the 100/1 shots Of those I haven't backed, am most worried about Always Right

Last edited:
Can't buy into the Seabass thing,

With better conditions, Ballabriggs for the place market,

Black Apalachi is supposed to be in good nick and is another place bet

Rare Bob is one that could run well at a price

And I like Junior

Had to add Seabass to my squad really. Took the 13/1 with SportingBet.

My other bets remain as follows:

Treacle 25/1
Killyglen 18/1
Cappa Bleu 18/1
State Of Play 50/1

I've backed six now, which is one or two more than I intended. I don't quite understand the support for Seabass either.

My three biggest winners would be Shakalakaboomboom, Cappa Bleu and the drifting Giles Cross.

Last edited:
Against OHO would be his relative inexperience, that he probably wants it more testing and that Walsh “hopes” he can go left handed. On the plus side, as Grey has outlined, he should be open to more improvement than most lining up here.

Hard luck on Ruby. Townend takes the ride.

As a Weird Al cheerleader have had to have a token bet him to add to Cappa Bleu, According to Pete, and Chicago Grey.

Actually got eight in the race. I must be out of my mind:

Synchronised
Killyglen
Cappa Bleu
Sunnyhillboy
Junior
Chicago Grey
Becauseicouldntsee
Giles Cross

Asked for 16s on the Gold Cup winner and have IR lays on all of them at single figure prices. The market is all wrong and West End Rocker is the only conceivable winner in my mind that I haven't covered.

Back