Road to the Lincoln

I completely agree. True flat racing begins in April when Newmarket comes on to the TV. Its a shame though because the Lincoln is a good race with good horses. Its just on at the wrong time of year

I suppose what you mean is with the Lincoln most horses that run in the race dont have a previous run in the same season so you're basing information from last year which means nothing and usually you get a big priced horse winning or a horse that wins the Lincoln and doesn't win another race for the rest of the season

Yes the Lincolnshire bookies benevolent fund. But more importantly we get a look at the 2yr olds for the first time and the park express is usually a good race too.

Would be interested if anybody has a list of the past winners of that maiden. Wonder if it's ever been won by a decent horse (King Ledley ran in it last year and I think Russian Blue won it). Always at least one talking horse in it as well.

Or perhaps Gal or Gareth can recite them to us from memory... :p

Nothing comes to mind re the Brocklesbury winners being superstars but quite often it does get won by a a good workmanlike sprinter - if they stay sound and interested, the sort that turn into good servants for their owners and pitch up year after year - THE LORD comes to mind as a good example. Won it in 2002 and was still racing last year.

and will still be racing this year Songsheet :)

Spook Master still going from the Brocklesby a few years later as well :)

As for the Lincoln, I'm in the Mia's Boy camp as well although Cloudy Start catches my eye for Jamie Osborne.

Would be interested if anybody has a list of the past winners of that maiden. Wonder if it's ever been won by a decent horse (King Ledley ran in it last year and I think Russian Blue won it). Always at least one talking horse in it as well.

Or perhaps Gal or Gareth can recite them to us from memory... :p

It's really too early for 2yrs to be racing.For most of them that win or are placed it's the highlight of their career. The ground is heavy and unless they're minded it ruins them. Drayton won one year and Miss beatrix was placed in that race a few years ago and they went on to be nice . I remember a One cool cat winning a couple of years ago and wincing while he was encouraged to do so.

We get to have a look at the new stallions progeny race though

Let's be honest - only 2yos which their trainers feel will be those with cheap speed are really aimed at the early 2yo races, although there are always exceptions. If you had a really classy 2yo prospect, as Sheikh points out, you wouldn't want to risk it on crap ground so early in the season or want it to peak too early - your classier 2yos are Ascot material surely, or later 7f plus races during the season.

I was there when Russian Blue won. A last hurrah for Robert Sangster's colours; he died shortly after.

I think Fallon referred to the really early ones as "speed bunnies".
As Cantoris (the closet flat fan) points out the Nunthorpe might be a target for the talented precocious 2yr old later on .

I remember Tomahawk winning the first juvenile race at The Curragh a few years back - he turned out to be their Middle Park, Dewhurst and Breeders Cup horse!

I was there the day Paris House made his debut in the race,used to go to the meet regularly in the early 90's.

I don't think the Lincoln is anything like as competitive as it used to be. For a start the field is restricted to a maximum of 22 nowadays and in the 2 runnings since the race has returned to Doncaster, the bottom weight has had a BHA mark of 94. Using the last 2 years, in the original weights list, the bottom weight in 2009 was Benandonner who was number 26 when the weights were allocated and Temple Place in 2008 was bottom weight having been number 29 when the weights were first alloted. I'd be concentrating my efforts on looking at the horses among the top 35 in the weights at the moment as I can't see how those below that mark can get in the race unless they pick up a penalty.

Among those, lightly-raced improving types look thin on the ground and although he's favourite, I think Penitent is still worth backing at 10/1. The trainer has stated he is specifically being aimed at the race, Haggas is one of the shrewder trainer when it comes to targeting big handicaps with progressive horses and Penitent's form with Stoic and Sovereign Remedy looks rock solid. Slight concern he may not run if the ground is on the fast side, but it's hardly likely at the end of March and as he's guaranteed a run, it's hard to see him not being half his current odds or shorter on the day.

Last edited:
Back