Royal Ascot 2016

Looks like Acapulco may give the King's Stand a miss and go for the Commonwealth Cup instead.

It's far from certain that the ground will be any better by Friday but I couldn't fancy her at all over six furlongs in any event.

Looks like Acapulco may give the King's Stand a miss and go for the Commonwealth Cup instead.
It's far from certain that the ground will be any better by Friday but I couldn't fancy her at all over six furlongs in any event.

Quiet Reflection will win the Commonwealth. At the prices he is one of the better favourites this week. Acapulco should keep QR price straight.

Last edited:

They must be loco.

With the likely soft ground I'll not be touching this meeting with a bargepole betting wise.

There are always betting angles, whatever the conditions.

I certainly would think long and hard before taking a short price about anything but I'd never treat a change in the going as a reason not to bet at all.

Each to their own, though.

Been waiting for tomorrow having already backed Awtaad.

I'm adding a forecast Awtaad and Galileo Gold as I am not sold on The Gurkha at all.

I thought the race in France was as ordinary a group 1 as you are ever likely to see.

Can't knock the horse himself I just think he'll find this very tough so I will LAY him as well

Going to be wither a very good day or a very bad day :)

Spark Plug is a big player in the Hunt Cup on day two. Hopefully he can come back to his very best form for this.
He possesses a good turn of foot on a going day.
Certainly enough to make him each way value at 33/1.

Last edited:
she only needs to stay it for 6 furlongs Fonz but I get your meaning .:)

:D

One who we know does stay 6f is Aeolus having been campaigned over trips of 6 and 7f throughout his career until this season where he ran in the Palace house finishing a stoutly staying on 5th,ran again at Haydock where the quicker track may not have been to his liking, Here at Ascot with the stiff track and hopefully searing pace could see him closing well when it matters
Taking all that into account the 42 on the machine is worth a go.

It's understandable that punters at times like this tend to focus on horses with soft ground form in the book but you often end up looking at unacceptably short prices as a result. One I don't think has been spotted yet is Czabo in the Sandringham on Wednesday. Four runs this season and her only flop was on firm ground behind Nemoralia at York. She had no chance in the Irish 1000 but ran a decent fourth on heavy and she's won her other two starts, both on soft, the last of them in listed company in France. She runs here off 99 which seems pretty reasonable. De Sousa rides and she's available at 16/1 which can only shorten, for me.

Weld not running Fascinating Rock and Zukhova should not be very happy

I think it is quite a good card today , not the best Royal Ascot ever but on medium
the st james is a very good race
Meccas Angelis an atraction wherever she runs
Coventry looks a good edition

Last edited:
Weld not running Fascinating Rock and Zukhova should not be very happy....Coventry looks a good edition

Agree with that.

I can't help thinking that they've missed a trick with Zhukova who should be running this week given the state of the ground and the form boost she received from Pretty Perfect at the weekend.

A number of us on here are on Yalta at 16s in the Coventry but his ability on soft ground is a complete unknown. Dangers abound. Caravaggio clearly will act on today's surface but I think Mehmas might be the one, back up in trip today and clearly going to be suited by that although there's the same caveat with the going.

Decent card IMO and by far the standout bet is Esoterique at 15/2.

She loves a straight mile with cut in the ground and I can easily see her running these down late on. She's won every time she's faced soft ground or worse having had a run behind her that season and the HK and BC miles are very easy to forgive as those oval tracks just don't play to her strengths. In these conditions I'd have her as marginal favourite ahead of Belardo and Ervedya and I couldn't give a toss that she's now a 6 year old as the RP analysis after her Sun Chariot win stressed how, given her size, it was no surprise that she was only just beginning to fulfill her potential.

Coventry is as tricky as they come but I made a decision to stick with Mehmas for the season so I'll have a small interest and Meccas Angel is impossible to oppose but I'm not into backing < 2/1 shots in 5f sprints, especially at this meeting.

SJP is a cracker but a watching race and betting wise the day is all about the Fabre filly for me.

I have Ervedya at an average price of 7/1 having topped up this morning. I've covered on the American mare at 6s with the money back concession at Sky.

I've also backed Profitable on the machine at 6 to go with my AP possie on Meccas Angel.

I will have a nice bet on Ervedya today. I'm also, for a bit of extra interest doing each way multiples on tepin, silvertoni, aeolus and baashaat. Can't have the price on the Gurkha and I think awtaad form is better.

Coventry looks difficult the 2/1 Caravaggio puts me off, perhaps a small each-way with Thunder Snow.

Windsor Castle on the other hand looks impossible, again a small each-way interest in Tomily.

Lancelot du Lac at 50s for the King's Stand will do me, splitting the bet across those paying 1/5 odds first 5 and 1/4 odds first 4. Yard are in excellent form, doesn't have much at all to find with the vast majority of the best of his efforts, particularly his placed runs in handicaps in Dubai last year and in the Wokingham. Has form in testing ground so will have no problem with the conditions. Reliant on the top 2 in the betting not giving their running to cop the win, but some EW value there regardless.

I agree with wilsonl about Esoterique. There's no Solow this year.

Van Der Decken was backed in from 40/1 to 6/1 on debut and has since been bought by Godolphin. 16/1 ew seems fair.

A win for Caravaggio is a big boost for Mister Trader in the last.

Lancelot du Lac at 50s for the King's Stand will do me, splitting the bet across those paying 1/5 odds first 5 and 1/4 odds first 4. Yard are in excellent form, doesn't have much at all to find with the vast majority of the best of his efforts, particularly his placed runs in handicaps in Dubai last year and in the Wokingham. Has form in testing ground so will have no problem with the conditions. Reliant on the top 2 in the betting not giving their running to cop the win, but some EW value there regardless.

you have persuaded me.

Back