Royal Ascot 2016

Yes, I was just coming on to suggest that the sectionals analysis will be interesting as it looked like Moore and Hayes didn't get them right.

I have to say, no-one rides Ascot or Epsom better than Dettori.

Think the result shows that Frankie got the fractions right here equally as wrong as he got them in Ireland.
RM had little choice which path to take after a slow break, but still would have been a much bigger threat had Awtaad not hung across him.

If there's a gp1 horse in the Jersey, it's probably Castle Harbour, and Gifted Master ought to tee it up nicely for him, from his nearby draw.

Usherette won well at Newmarket but is unproven on today's surface and has a penalty so she might be worth taking on with Always Smile, a filly who beat an ultra-competitive field of colts and geldings at York off 105 last time. She also has no form on soft but she's three times the price of the fav.

I like Gifted Master and Ibn Malik in the Jersey. That handicap Castle Harbour won last time out has worked out reasonably well but he had a good draw and was running off just 86. GM is a solid horse who will be suited by going back up to seven. Hanagan has passed over IM but that doesn't bother me. The horse raced keenly under Hanagan in the Free Handicap but still won well and he might settle better today with the freshness out of him and a new man on board.

Mitchum Swagger looked to be going places on a soft surface last autumn and he'll be well suited by the way the Hunt Cup is run today.

Think the result shows that Frankie got the fractions right here equally as wrong as he got them in Ireland.
RM had little choice which path to take after a slow break, but still would have been a much bigger threat had Awtaad not hung across him.

Correct.

Normally I would have a look but I have 5 tracker horses declared for the Britannia tomorrow so am keeping my powder dry.

Better card today.

I've picked Remarkable and as an each way alternative C Note who won't mind the ground at all.

The fact Ward has left Lady Aurelia in and how relaxed he looked this morning I think it could well win, as an each way alternative I'm on Madame Dancealot. Second behind Mehmas on debut and then saved for this, I think will come on a lot for the run hopefully.

Usherette is the obvious one but the fact Miss Temple City is back again tells me she will be better this year. Note after Ascot last year she campaigned over 9f, back to 8 for first run this year she beat the men and looked in good condition.

Balty Boys was unlucky last year and the draw again could ruin/make its chances. However, lower again this year in weight and expect it to hit the frame.

In the lucky last I'm for Pat Smullen's Dolce Strega. Persuasive is a short price for what it's done in my view and although could be progressive I like the formers chances. Won a group three and the second has won a group three since.

Done a few e/multiples for a bit of extra fun but main bets above.

Written elsewhere:

Having whinged about the poor quality of yesterday’s racing, I see in my review of this day last year that I reckoned that was the worst RA meeting ever. It looks like this festival is becoming more show than substance and the ground this year isn’t helping. However, this is a brilliant renewal of one of my favourite races.

GM Hopkins was one of two main bets last year but the other, Gabrial, was unlucky and proved later in the season he was rated to win. The really unlucky one, though, was Balty Boys who carried a saver. He ‘won’ his side by miles and is 3lbs lower here. He also has a low draw although I’m not sure right up against the rails will be that much of an advantage. The ground should be no problem and Shepherd’s allowance can only help.

Convey is 7lbs well in but his draw is a major concern. He might end up weak as a result and will carry a saver just in case yesterday’s low-draw bias is reversed, as can happen here.

James Fanshawe has a very strong pair in Hors De Combat, who wasn’t off last time, and Spirit Raiser who probably needed to win last time to get in here and whose dam and damsire were big improvers with age. I do have concerns about the ground for both and they’re drawn on different sides.

I’m going to risk letting Earth Drummer go. He wasn’t beaten far under very tender handling in the Victoria Cup but I suspect the Magnet Cup is the target.

The jockey puts me off Belgian Bill.

As usual, cases can be made for so many of these but despite concerns about the going I’m sticking with my short list of, in order of preference, Balty Boys, Hors De Combat, Spirit Raiser and Convey and I’ll combine them in exactas and trifectas just in case.

Back