Royal Ascot 2016

Lancelot du Lac at 50s for the King's Stand will do me, splitting the bet across those paying 1/5 odds first 5 and 1/4 odds first 4. Yard are in excellent form, doesn't have much at all to find with the vast majority of the best of his efforts, particularly his placed runs in handicaps in Dubai last year and in the Wokingham. Has form in testing ground so will have no problem with the conditions. Reliant on the top 2 in the betting not giving their running to cop the win, but some EW value there regardless.

Good luck, David. I think 2nd and 3rd place are up for grabs in a big way today.
Do not discount anything at double or even treble figure odds!

Hence another outsider that I could envisage outrunning its odds would be Hay Chewed.
He went off quick in the Dash last time then faded, he can't maintain his own gallop over 5 furlongs on good ground, but I reckon soft ground could see him stay on a bit longer up front.
Maybe a back to lay in running might be worth a go. :)

Last edited:
Great result for international racing.

Yes important when you consider the recent blow outs of Animal Kingdom and Able Friend

No arguments with Belardo the race went absolutely to plan but the mare was too good.

I thought that was a proper performance from Caravaggio-will take a good one to beat him this year-having said that 3/1 for the Guineas is criminal.

I won't be crunching numbers till next week but I was visually impressed enough to back him at 10/1 for the Guineas immediately after the race.

He looks a proper g1 animal.

He may have had a harder race than it appeared today. That's a worry for me but I'm happy to take the risk.

He's lit up what was looking a very ordinary day (and I didn't even back him).

3 against the field in the Ascot Stakes for me.

5.00 - Ascot:
Totalize. 20/1. 1 pt e/w. Available ar (1/4 odds first 4, Skybet)
Le Maitre Chat. 20/1. 1 pt e/w. Available at (1/4 odds first 4, Skybet, Stan James)
Montaly. 40/1. 0.5 pts e/w. Available at (1/4 odds first 4, Generally available)
This is a dour staying test at the best of times but the ground this year will make this a war of attrition. It's not surprising that this race is often won by the jumping yards and their horses dominate the market again. Totalize is an admirable dual purpose horse and often finishes his races off well. He was noted staying on well in the Chester Cup last time out over the furthest trip he has so far tackled and this longer trip could see him in an even better light. He has won in heavy ground and is partnered by a very good five pound claimer. He has never raced at Ascot and ran very poorly the only time he ran here over hurdles, which is a slight concern, but he looks worth risking at a price. Le Maitre Chat is far from straightforward but he has some solid handicap form to his name and the long run home here could suit him. He ran better than his final finishing position suggests in the Chester Cup last time out and finished very strongly to get within two lengths of the winner in the Cesarewitch over 18 furlongs at Newmarket last season. He has form here over two miles, handles soft ground and is still relatively lightly raced for a five year old. Montaly didn't show much at Goodwood last month but it was his first race for ten months and it was probably badly needed. He has only been seen over two miles on one occasion and that came when running respectably here in September 2014. He has often suggested that a stamina test would suit, never more so than when winning over an extended mile as a two year old at Nottingham. He needs a career best by some way but he ran well on all three previous occasions that he encountered soft ground and a big run wouldn't be a total surprise.

In that race Frankie played the part of Steve Cauthen, Ryan Moore took on the Jamie Spencer character.

Yes, I was just coming on to suggest that the sectionals analysis will be interesting as it looked like Moore and Hayes didn't get them right.

I have to say, no-one rides Ascot or Epsom better than Dettori.

Was Galileo Gold always that price? It was in my mind that they were somewhere around 2/1-3/1 the front three.

I know nothing about paddock watching but Pique Sous looked as fat as a pig at the Curragh on Guineas weekend -cannot see it in first ten today.Sempre Medici could have a stone plus improvement on the flat.

The market for the St James's palace was bizarre. The Gurkha would have needed to be a blend of Kingman , Warning in the QEII and Royal Academy in the breeders cup to win from there .

Great ride by Dettori especially not to go after GG too soon - it was almost as if Hayes and Moore expected him to kick early and tie up .

Jennies Jewel ! How far would Vroum Vroum have won ?

I should like to see the Ascot Stakes reduced to 2 miles . There is no race at the Royal meeting for 2 mile stayers except the Queens Vase which for a long while has now been for three years olds only . The Northumberland Plate is now run on a dog track and the Queen Alexandra might well become more competitive too for the real marathon types .

Back