Royal Ascot 2021

Pleased for Oisin even if he beat Snow Lantern :mad: who has run a vastly improved race. A lot more to come from her.

Surely the interference is too far out from the winning post??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with that, think they have to appeal. Dettori didn't stop riding at any point, whether the travelling sideways was why they gave it to him, maybe. Difficult to say if they had kept straight would have actually made a difference to the order they finished in. A rematch would be interesting.

Wow. Even allowing for the going exaggerating the distances, that Sandringham form looks sh1t hot :blink::blink::blink:

I've enjoyed being able to watch the action this week.

Nay luck on the betting front yet but looking forward to Saturday.

Surely Aberama Gold has a great chance in the Wokingham. He's some top class form on heavy ground and you'd go as far to say that on turf he is a different proposition on ground with cut in it.

O Brien has a strong hand to play in the first few races, especially Khartoum who has a top chance at a fairish price in the 3.05.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen an Ascot where I want to get involved so little. It's absolutely impossible this week.

Yea thankfully I'm only doing very small bets each day for an interest.

If I was betting bigger especially on singles I would have been cleaned out!

You hear stories of people sticking 20K on this and 200K on that. Scary if they get beat.

Last edited:
Been a very tough week for me. I got quite excited after Juan then nothing until the first race today, then nothing. Just a tough week. Happens some years. Last year I backed winner after winner. At least I bet in teeny tiny amounts because that’s all I can afford. Those betting in huge amounts aren’t mere mortals like the rest of us!

Been a bad week yes. I've sort of bet by rote - see angle, back horse (i don't fancy overmuch) to exploit angle see horse finish 4th or 5th. Like Chindit in the SJP apost he was a bigger price than the shithouses that fought out the Heron so I had to bet him even though I didn't see him realistically winning the race. Same with Divinely yesterday. I should have just laid Noon Star I suppose.

I'm just hoping O Brien comes up trumps tomorrow leaving the best until last especially in the first three races.

Point Lonsdale, Khartoum and Broome all excellent chances. But with the week I've had I wouldn't bank on it.

Last edited:
Rumblings at the Palace?

I reckon Mr Balding may have blotted his copybook a bit with our good Queen. Tactical was entered in the Jersey Stakes Group 3 and the St James Palace Stakes Group 1. In his round up of chances Balding said more

“We’re just going to wait for the moment. Tactical is a very good horse, he’s won a Group Two already and he would be competitive in the Jersey Stakes. However, the St James’s Palace is also interesting as there are question marks about a couple of the leading players over the ground. It will enhance his prospects as a stallion if he were to finish in the top three in the St James’s Palace. Yes winning a Group Three would be great, but it’s not as essential for him. If we felt he could finish in the first three in the St James’s Palace, we would think about it, but I think the Jersey is more likely, but we’ll see what is likely to turn up on the Tuesday.”

That sounded as though he would prefer a top three finish in the St James and, more importantly, that he would be ridden for a place if he ran in it.

Since those remarks Tactical came out of the Jersey and now I see that he’s not in the St James either! Perhaps HM was not best pleased to be seen going for a vulgar chase for money in the St James Palace rather than a respectable attempt to win the Jersey.

Correction. I see Tactical is down for the Jersey Stakes after all. Guess I was making up a TV plot!! Sorry Mr Balding.

I can't quite put my finger on a reason but I'm not enjoying the meeting as much as usual. I haven't done any totals yet and presume I'm down for the week but some of my non-longshot bets have come in and the longshots themselves have given me a few decent place returns.

I definitely not haemorrhaging money. I've had returns every day but I'm just not getting excited about anything. I usually manage to back at least one of the major handicap winners but not so far this week, I don't think. I also think padding it out to 7 races per day has created some crap contests.

Still, if I end up punting the Wokingham winner I'll probably feel a lot better!

I am probably up because I had a good bet on quickthorn at 11/2.but I've not had a lot of interest.i just seem to have lost interest in life really.cant be bothered with anything.apathy I think.

Most of the pace is far side in the Jersey, which should allow Naval Crown a relatively easy lead, this side. Wm Buick in not one to spurn such opportunities, and his mount has the ability to capitalise, imo.
11/1 (5 places) on Betfair.

The Hardwicke market is all wrong. The Haggas thing is a handicapper and Broome a non stayer. I'm shocked Hukum isn't fav or 2nd fav at worst. Biggest bet of the week. Small cover on Wonderful Tonight

I punted Summerghand for ante-post for the DJ but ground likely against him. Loves the track.

Gulliver also likes Ascot and he was very eye catching at York lto where he lost a couple of lengths at the start. Will place surely if he breaks.

King Frankel opened at 10s for the 5.35 when decs were made. Very short now but he should go close.

Also have Final Watch at Newmarket and Balearic represents the Bullace/Crossford/Wobwobwob/Spirit of Bermuda formline from the Craven meeting that I have been following all year. He was 6/1 at Powers last night, 3s now.

I'm each-way wussing right left and centre today :

2.30 Sweeping ew 14/1
3.05 Storm Damage ew 12/1
3.40 Albaflora ew 5/1 4pl
4.20 Nahaarr ew 9/2 5pl
5.00 Gulliver ew 20/1, Hey Jonesy ew 25/1, 7pl, Indigo Balance ew 30/1, 7pl, (Kings Lynn w 4/1 to cover)
6.10 Stag Horn ew 15/2

Took the 12s on Thursday for Glen Shiel, has optimum conditions

As has been posted Gulliver looks solid e.w in the Wokingham

Had a small e.w on Radio Caroline in the first, won in the mud at Haydock last time and is bred to stay

Stratum in the Marathon, Mullins to have the last laugh:D

Back