Royal Ascot 2024

I took 119/1 that takes care of my White Birch losses
...what a boy
I have never had a 100/1+ winner before. Laura Pearson was the next big thing 4 years ago during the panademic but now she seems to be pissing trainers off by pulling out of rides at the last minute. Maybe her car accident has effected her? Billy will become top jockey for years to come I think.

Big performance there by the Aussie mare especially after she wandered over to the others. I’d written her off stupidly after Haydock thinking she had a short stride and wouldn’t get home up the stiff 5 here but fair play to her. A great ride from Oisin.

3.45 - It’s a sad indictment of the level of our sprinters that the highest OR in this field is only 114. That’s G3 level at best and I’m surprised that the Australians and Americans have only mustered one raider between them to plunder what is a very decent pot. Asfoora is probably the percentage call because she is used to taking on better opposition than this and her defeat at Haydock could probably be put down to a combination of soft ground and just being teed up for this. She’s the main bet. I’ve backed Vadream ew because I think she’s seriously over-priced. I would have her at no more than 10/1, possibly a bit less.
Bets: Asfoora (7/1), Vadream (66/1)
Thank goodness.

Probably recouped half today's outlay with that. Sighs of relief echoing round the Orchid household after a couple of really bad results.

Well I got that badly wrong too! Notable Speech looked uncomfortable early on on the ground but was just too far back in any case. Fair play to the Hannons 👏 was on the second each way and was praying he’d hold on.

How bad was that from Notable Speech? a flash in the pan if ever there was won.well done to Rosallion well deserved win and won easier than it looked
No I don’t think a flash in the pan. See my comment above plus he looked a bit awkward, maybe keen.

I was looking at him.

I'm interested in Trooper Bisdee aswell.

I'm a sucker for a consistent horse down the bottom of the handicap going about it's business well winning races.

Often they get found out when stepped up in grade, but if any trainer knows the time of day, what is required and can make it happen, it's Sir Mark Prescott. I reckon the trooper will run well if he runs. There's scope in his current price for him to shorten up too.

He's also entered in the Northumberland Plate, so am holding back until final declarations.

Well Trooper Bisdee didn't run for Sir Mark Prescott, but Pledgeofallegiance did. Well done to anyone who had it.

Well done the winners so far today aswell. Good shouts from different forumites. Backing Billy Loughnane in every race? I might try that sometime.

5.40 - They appear finally to have found a good race for Israr but, for me, he keeps disappointing. I wouldn’t want to be taking shortish odds about him sticking his neck out in a battle. Last season Astro King won both the John Smith’s and the Cambridgeshire, both much more valuable than this but they’ll struggle to get his mark back down to a winnable one in such contests so this kind of race might be his best shot at glory. I’ve taken a small ew punt on Cemhaan who hasn’t raced over this short a trip for years but who won over just a furlong further the time before last. Perhaps they’re experimenting on account of his stride pattern which suggests he should be fine at it. I’m half-expecting Torito to improve past them all, though.

Turned out Israr didn't get into a battle. The Wathnan jockeys hardly covered themselves in glory, chasing an obviously over-fast pace.

Miss Lamai 2.30 Ascot tomorrow 28/1 e/w
Won first time out at Ripon and then finished 2nd in a listed race.
Looks a big price in an impossible looking race.

Coeur Dor 5.05 Ascot 12/1
Won 2 big field handicaps in Ireland last season.
Was given a pipe opener over an inadequate 6 furlongs first time out.
No doubt Dermot Weld will have targeted this race and i can't see the 12/1 with bet 365 lasting.
Good luck everyone.

It may be he’s had three races in fairly quick succession then fired into a Group 1 and it’s all been a bit much? That said I’d be interested to hear Applebys verdict. As I said before I didn’t think the horse looked happy from early on.

Had a average day on first day,my best was savvy victory getting 4th at 50/1. Tomorrow's ascot bets.
2.30 Make haste 13/2.
3.05 Birdman 11/2
3.45 royal dress 10/1
5.05.the Gate keeper 33/1.
5.35 villanova Queen. 25/1
6.15 honuary American 14/1.

Credit to G-G for putting up Rosallion on horses to follow , flat thread last July after horse's Ascot win.
Bar Doncaster he has not failed to perform or improve.
Sean Levey believes the best is yet to come in a race with end to end gallop.
Sussex Downs could rattle end of July if summer weather holds....

Back