Royal Ascot 2024

I’ll have to have a little on Alflaila just in case, although don’t hold out much hope. Aside from that I really can’t see he wood for the trees, so it’s mainly a watching day again.

2.30 - No interest (yet)
3.05 - Meydaan (ew), LHM (longshot)
3.45 - Laurel
4.25 - Inspiral, Alflaila (ew), Zarakem (ew)
5.05 - Wild Tiger, Bless Him (ew), Blue For You (ew), Thunder Ball (ew), Regheeb (ew), Crack Shot (ew)
5.40 - No interest
6.15 - No interest

Kevin Blake's laughed at Inspiral's chance in the POW because she's a speed horse,yet she's Timeform's 'horse of the day' - because she won over 10f at Santa Anita ffs.
Amateurs! :rolleyes:

I can't believe Aerion Power is the price he is in the Royal Hunt Cup.

A staying on fourth in the race last year, gelded since, a last time out winner with Ryan Moore riding aswell. Hopefully this is a case of the world gone mad.

I've had a decent win only bet on Real Gain too. I'll have Outsider to thank if this comes in. Wild Tiger is my biggest fear.

Come on Alflaila. Keep the faith. Barj.

Have a good day all.

Lost on Passenger in the PoW (he'd piss this, look at the form boost Israr gave him) so trying to claw my stake back with an each way on Blue Rose Cen.

Wild Tiger in the Hunt Cup although price gone a bit now.

Hopeful in the KP. Her form from Newmarket has been franked and she was keen that day, a bigger field and a faster pace will really suit her although obv it's a tough heat.

So I doubt I will repeat yesterday but will give it a go.

Race 1
Sort of siding a bit on breeding here as I haven’t watched many. So Xanthe (dam won this and her sire was all 2yo), Kassaya (half sis to Chaldean) and Spherical( speedy decent family) and Truly Enchanting fill that part. Also like Miss Rascal and they’re fairly bullish about her. But heaps more in there so paddock looks are important (incidentally Berkshire Rocco yesterday looked dull yesterday and ran so, backing up my theory of waiting until you see them!) and The Ward horse will probably blow them apart!

Race 2
Between Illinois and Highbury for me

Race 3
Rogue Millennium to go back to back and I need to maybe forgive Running Lion that last run? Laurel has been off a long while and that would worry me on quick ground. Ocean Jewel is also of interest.

Race 4
Which Auguste will we see today? Can’t doubt his ability but backing him is like Russian roulette! I’d still take him over Inspiral without Dettori and possibly Alfaila ew is sensible.

Race 5
Pin time!
Holloway Boy dropped into a handicap first time on a good mark, I like. Wild Tiger appears to be on everyone’s list and I wouldn’t put anyone off him, likewise Beshtani. Sean is an interesting one as is Crackshot and Real Gain from a shrewd yard with Buick up.

Race 6
Summer of Love, Rowayeh, Elim and Doha (check the breeding on this one!)

Race 7
Can’t get away from the fact that AOB likes winning this so Treasure Island is there. Also marked up Hawaiian (throw out last run due to ground) Ain’t Nobody has Spencer on board and the dam was a useful sprinter. Artagnan at a decent each way price.

Have a great day, y’all!

Last edited:

4.25 – Alflaila​

He is a horse I think very highly of. This is his first run of the season, but he has been away for a racecourse gallop. He was fifth in an Irish Champion Stakes last year, but he just got too far back that day. If the race had panned out differently, he could have been right there at the finish.
I think he has a very good chance in this race, as you can make holes in the market leaders. He loves fast ground, and if he reproduces the Irish Champion Stakes form, he will be in the mix here.

Jim Crowley blog

Ultima Grace - 2.30 Ew
Mina Rashid - 3.05 Ew
Laurel - 3.45 Ew
Inspiral - 4.25 Ew
Mirsky - 5.05 Ew (Nap)
Fakhama - 5.40 Ew
Cheval De Guerre - 6.16 Ew

Miss Lamai 2.30 Ascot tomorrow 28/1 e/w
Won first time out at Ripon and then finished 2nd in a listed race.
Looks a big price in an impossible looking race.

Coeur Dor 5.05 Ascot 12/1
Won 2 big field handicaps in Ireland last season.
Was given a pipe opener over an inadequate 6 furlongs first time out.
No doubt Dermot Weld will have targeted this race and i can't see the 12/1 with bet 365 lasting.
Good luck everyone.
Miss Lamai ran a nice race to finish 4th
Nice bit of place money😎

Just tried to back a horse with skybet at SP and they restricted me to £1 ew.
They are a joke.Royal hunt cup and only allowed a pound ew. Ffs

Just tried to back a horse with skybet at SP and they restricted me to £1 ew.
They are a joke.Royal hunt cup and only allowed a pound ew. Ffs
I had my account restricted years ago and I'm not a big hitter.
I won about £400 in a period of about a year.
Not exactly a fortune.

That was beautiful to watch by Ryan and Auguste 👏
And worth listening to Ryan’s interview with Chapman

My thoughts exactly.

Fair play to the colt and it was a cracking watch, but White Birch puts daylight between himself and Zarakem and Horizon Dore all day long in my book.

Game of opinions, though.

This Gosden/Shoemark combo isn't going to last long is it?😁
If a horse is as slow out the gate as Inspiral was today, I fail to see how anyone can blame the jockey.

Like it or not, jockeys can only direct horses, pull them back or drive them forward, this doesn't mean they completely control their race positions though. Especially if they are a dozen lengths off the leader after one furlong.

Same thing was happening when Stradavarius got himself in weird race positions as he got older, still finishing fast late on, with everyone blaming Frankie.

No complaints from me with Alflaila. He was snatched up a bit, having to come wide.

Best horse on the day won though.

Last edited:
Never mind the official going description (do people actually still believe those?) White Birch was 0.99s fast for 1m2f at The Curragh and that just doesn't happen on Good to Soft ground.

Moot point how much quicker it was at Ascot today, where Auguste Rodin was 1.18s fast for 1m2f, suggesting to me it really wasn't appreciably Firmer.

No complaints from me with Alflaila. He was snatched up a bit, having to come wide.

Crowley hesitated because he was going so well but he ended up being squeezed and the horse couldn't re-find its stride in time to get going again. Would have been closer but not sure it would have made the first three.

I was at The Curragh that weekend; Saturday /Sunday was chalk and cheese.
Remember also nearly an hour's extra daylight now vs last weekend in May which means extra drying when weather allows.
No doubting White Birch's ability whatsoever but he needs give imo.

Last edited:
Back