Royal Ascot Day 4

betsmate

At the Start
Any thoughts? Weather looks pretty poor.

Trying to find something that will go on soft ground in the first looks pretty tricky. I keep getting drawn to Switcher though. Impressive enough debut and daughter of Whipper who loved it soft (as seemingly do his progeny).

12/1 at Ladbrokes as an early price in case it is lashing it down tomorrow.

On quicker ground the Bolger favourite looks hard to beat.

I like the look of Nathaniel but the form of Mijhaar's maiden win has been boosted by the 2nd & 3rd both winning by 5 lengths next time out.

Docofthebay has been well supported in the last, but I know that Free For All was fancied for it's life at Lingfield last time out, despite the on course drift and they were looking at it as a stepping stone to coming to RA, ground will suit if some cut, 14/1 is standout with Hills.

Hanagan out - Hughes on Lily's Angel and castles in the Air, Fallon on Barefoot lady and Fortune on Glen's Diamond as he has ridden him before.

I like Mijhaar. Visually very impressive in his maiden, the form has been boosted by the placed horses, it appears he has been saved for this, trip, track and ground should suit. Obviously he doesn't have the form of some of the others but he could be anything. 5's is fair in a pretty open contest imo

On quicker ground the Bolger favourite looks hard to beat.

I don't think the slower ground will do her any harm. She has an oddish way of running - a bit greyhoundy. At Leopardsdown she looked like she might be freakishly good when she went for the race after turning into the straight. At Naas she looked almost clumsy and unbalanced for a lot of the race but still won handily enough. I'm hoping the slower ground will just give her the chance to get balanced and find her stride to get back to that freakishly good performance I think she has in her.

Together obviously has a strong chance in the Coronation as do some others but the one I think has a massive race in her is I Love Me. Hampered in the 1000 Guineas and still finished in first ten, and then maybe hit the front against the good yardstick Codemaster too soon in the King Charles Stakes (he subsequently franked the form against this weeks Jersey winner Strong Suit). Arguably her best performance so far was in the Tatterstall million on soft last year so any cut in the ground may help her as well. Definately not beyond the realms of possibility she go's close.

Last edited:
Can Riggins do 10f (4.25)? Imo yes and at a price worth taking the risk. Plus one last shot for Our Jonathan (5.35) at a winning weight , do the double and I might just about afford the repair bill for my car as I sit here in Italy.

Btw Betfair is legal but they stop you getting to it from here despite some sharp efforts by the Betfair geeks.

The ground has made it tricky today so I've toned it down today but I've backed the following...

I think Glen's Diamond is a fair bet at 10/1, especially with 365 going 1/3 odds 3 places. He's looked progressive with every run and has won on rain softened ground before. He'll stay the extra trip and should run well. Genius Beast will go on the ground and enjoy the step up in trip and 12/1 seems fair.

I've backed Nova Hawk in the English and French guineas when she came 4th on ground quicker than ideal. I'm struggling to back her today at 8/1 but I probably will do in the end if it looks like the rain has really got into the ground in the first two races.

Bea Remembered was very impressive at Doncaster last time out and 16/1 isn't a bad price, she's ran well on soft ground in Ireland and whilst the favourite will be hard to beat, she represents a bit of value.

The Queen's Vase is impossible although Quschi has been crying out for a step up in trip and 28/1 is a price I will have a few quid EW on, especially with 365 going 1/3 odds again in this race.

Can Riggins do 10f (4.25)? Imo yes and at a price worth taking the risk. Plus one last shot for Our Jonathan (5.35) at a winning weight , do the double and I might just about afford the repair bill for my car as I sit here in Italy.

Btw Betfair is legal but they stop you getting to it from here despite some sharp efforts by the Betfair geeks.

Last time I was in Italy, even the Racing Post was blocked, Tout Seul. Are you having better luck?

I think Mijhar could be something special in the next - stunning looking horse.

After Sandown, and today's ground, I've also had a chunk on Genius Beast.

Before the race, listening to Gosden was excellent. Such an intelligent fella.

Same with Richard Hughes.

Was it the Monsun and the Shirocco that were sent looking for better ground? Couldn't make it up.

Agreed. Love the fact he doesn't always fancy his horse and can see a race from a broader angle than virtually all other trainers.

Back