Royal Ascot- Day 5

BTW if it does turn out to be comparable to Donny on Leger day, has Gosden dropped a bollock by pulling Lucarno out on account of the ground? Or do you think that was a neat excuse because he didn't fancy giving 5lbs to a decent field?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 21 2008, 12:21 PM
BTW if it does turn out to be comparable to Donny on Leger day, has Gosden dropped a bollock by pulling Lucarno out on account of the ground? Or do you think that was a neat excuse because he didn't fancy giving 5lbs to a decent field?
Dunno tbh Gareth, seems a strange decision

Maybe he knows MacArthur has improved past his horse :D

No, but he may have been waiting to see if any of the others were pulled. Anyway, apparently it's rained a little again since he's made that decision, so maybe he should have waited longer again. Who'd be a trainer?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 21 2008, 01:11 PM

I'd rather go with the old stager Maarahel at 5 times the price.
Tempting. Pipedreamer hardly let the Sandown form down and despite his age conditions are ideal for the old boy today.

Either side of that effort were better though, which suggests slower ground hampered Pipedreamer somewhat, so using that line is a bit dodgy

IMO anyway

In the Chesham, I'd be keen to take on Free Agent at 5/2 or lower myself. Was probably fortuante to win first time out when Donavitum lost his action in the closing stages. I also thought that day that his action very much suggested he wanted cut in the ground, which would of course make the ground a doubt today.

Seaway's form behind Himalaya (flattered to finish so close admittedly) and Danidh Dubai has a more solid look to it than the favourite's IMO anyway.

Originally posted by Charlie D@Jun 21 2008, 01:46 PM
Either side of that effort were better though, which suggests slower ground hampered Pipedreamer somewhat, so using that line is a bit dodgy

Maybe. RPR have gone 116 - 111 - 121 (the latter figure is excessive imo and demonstrates how overrated DoM is) but Maraahel did carry a five pound penalty and i reckon racing on his own as he did towards the finish maybe didn`t suit him - his best performance last year was in the Hardwicke where he went eyeball to eyeball with Scorpion.

Yep it was Euro, where he got 5lb from Scorpion, which makes him no better than a 120

He needs a better performance than that to beat MacArthur imo and i can't see him improving at 7yo

Originally posted by Charlie D@Jun 21 2008, 01:57 PM

He needs a better performance than that to beat MacArthur imo and i can't see him improving at 7yo
True, and i`ve backed him win and place today. But he`s good value when compared to Spanish Moon and Speed Gifted and although i think AoB`s animal will likely win i just think that he was slightly flattered in the Coronation Cup and is worth (partially) taking on today.

If you mean he's flattered by the 3rd , i agree, however, performance wise, i don't

It was his best to date imo and good enough to make him horse everyone has to beat here

Originally posted by Tout Seul@Jun 21 2008, 11:39 AM

A poor renewal of the Wokingham where I've gone for Tombi and Edge Closer. The former ran very well at York LTO and both horses are the progressive sorts that tend to do well in this.
I'm not betting today but if I were Edge Closer e/w in the Wokingham would be my big bet of the day

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 21 2008, 08:55 AM
2.30 – A decent listed affair here but it should just concern SEAWAY who is John Gosden’s best 2yo.
Makes note to self: don't bet any Gosden 2yos this season :)

Thought Ted has timed it bang on there at one bit, but thankfully MacArthur and Johnny both had enough pertol to mow him down

Yeah, think Durcan was excellent. Deserves to get the same kind of plaudits as Dettori on Campanologist yesterday to be fair.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the last time we saw Macarthur over 12f. Looks the bare minimum for him and he looks a perfect Irish Leger horse.

He rode a cracker in defeat Gareth, just like Kelly did on Geordieland, both just got beat by better horse imo

Originally posted by Desert Orchid+Jun 21 2008, 01:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Desert Orchid @ Jun 21 2008, 01:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chrisbeekracing@Jun 21 2008, 08:55 AM
2.30 – A decent listed affair here but it should just concern SEAWAY who is John Gosden’s best 2yo.
Makes note to self: don't bet any Gosden 2yos this season :) [/b][/quote]
You can say that but he done little wrong and he's only worked about 20 of about 60 2yo's. Alot can happen in a couple of months.

Done Lipocco ew in the Wokingham, he seems to have improved and looks well-weighted, also Balkan Knight ew in the Q Alexandra.

Originally posted by Charlie D@Jun 21 2008, 03:16 PM
Thought Ted has timed it bang on there at one bit, but thankfully MacArthur and Johnny both had enough pertol to mow him down
I know times are tough, but I do hate it when trainers don't put enough petrol in their horses

Back