Royal Ascot - Day 5

Personal experience of people I know or have come across. Many people back every race at Cheltenham whereas at Ascot most I know will only bet on 15-20% of the races maximum. My bets this year in 4 races Riggins, Ingleby Lady(Khaldoun Kingdom), Fleeting Spirit, Cill Rialaig. At Cheltenham I probably missed out 4 or 5 races and still did not pick one that came first.

Last edited:
All the form is there at Cheltenham and people have been talking about it all winter, plus Jan and Feb are quiet months. At Ascot you have plenty of 2yo contests that are hard to get a handle on plus the fact that the whole summer is ahead. No comparison whatsoever.

I can only assume he meant the flat season when he said 'year'. I'd guess the three days of Aintree beats Royal Ascot in betting turnover.

Really nice performance there by Harbinger, and they seemed well strung out. Lovely looking animal, and will be interested to see what rating he gets. The two behind him seemed to run really well, and I would rather be on him than anything else for the King George at current prices.

Harry Herbert needs to grow a pair and demand Harbinger runs in the King George. No point in the best 3-y-o going there if he's going to take on substandard older horses.

Good Luck

2.30-King Torus
3.05-Harbinger WON [1.8 & 1.18]
4.25-Laddies Poker Two WON [6.36 & 2.5]
5.00-Imposing PLACED [2nd @ 1.43]
5.35-Ringaroses

1pt Win & 2pts Place @ Betfair Sp

Profit after commission of 2.87pts

Good end to the meeting

As one of the Ascot COC's biggest critics, I have to commend him on getting it pretty much right last week.

Shame it took the jockeys three days to realise you could come up the stands rail and still have a chance.

Harry Herbert needs to grow a pair and demand Harbinger runs in the King George. No point in the best 3-y-o going there if he's going to take on substandard older horses.

I would be all over Harbinger if he lined up in the King George.

Back