Royal Ascot

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Do we need a thread for everyday? Not sure we do really.

Frankel rules the opening day in a race to watch but not bet in surely.
I want to be against Power in the SJP but can't find much to beat him. Maybe Fencing or maybe a straight lay.

If Cirrus Des Aigles and Carlton House both turn up in the POW on Wednesday it will be a cracker between them and SYT. Market dictates the bet I suppose. I'd take 7/2 on the day about the Frenchie.
Backed Captain Bertie in the Hunt Cup. Form's working out well.

I think Opinion Poll is overpriced for the Gold Cup. He was too far back last year and we know he stays and is in rude form. F&G is solid.

Hope Gatewood isn't too short in the Wolfreton. Hope Maybe runs in the Coronation.

Saturday is all about Midnight Cloud sticking one on the Aussies. Hopefully.

Fame And Glory looks one of the worst priced favourites of the week in my opinion. Pretty easy to make cogent arguments for the next 3 in the betting against him. This is a stronger renewal than last year, and he's a shorter price? No thanks.

Fame And Glory looks one of the worst priced favourites of the week in my opinion. Pretty easy to make cogent arguments for the next 3 in the betting against him. This is a stronger renewal than last year, and he's a shorter price? No thanks.

It could certainly be argued that he got first run on the runner up last year.

I've gone into Ascot week wanting to oppose a lot of Ballydoyle's horses in the past though and been blown out of the water. Each way is probably the way to go.

Last edited:

I couldn't agree David, other than Frankel, Fame and Glory and The Fugue if she runs, are the strongest favourites of the week.

Interesting that Astrology (King Edward vii) and Imperial Monarch (Tercentenary and King Edward vii ) have both been left in Ascot races by Ballydoyle. It could be a very small field at the Curragh.

For me, Fame And Glory hasn't put up anything like the commanding performances over staying trips to justify him being so short. He had little in hand on Opinion Poll and Colour Vision in last year's Long Distance Cup, and it could be argued both the beaten horses have shown even better form since. Throw in Saddler's Rock and his Doncaster Cup form, beating Opinion Poll by 4 lengths and he's right in the mix. Don't get me wrong, I like Fame And Glory, and fancied him last year, but he was 11/4 on the morning on the race to win a weaker race.

Why do you think he's such a strong favourite?

He beat Opinion Poll twice last season and I don't see any particular reason for Opinion Poll to reverse the form. I don't think Colour Vision is good enough. Sadler's Rock would be a danger but he hasn't had an ideal preparation. I do appreciate though that Fame and Glory is a favourite of mine and I may be somewhat biased.

He beat Opinion Poll twice last season and I don't see any particular reason for Opinion Poll to reverse the form.

F&G got first run in the Gold Cup. If you watch the race from the two pole he puts no distance between himself and the runner-up. If Frankie had been closer up as they entered the straight it would have been a lot closer.

The race in October was Opinion Poll's 11th contest of the year and I think his effort in the Doncaster Cup (where he gave Saddler's Rock a hefty weight concession - more than WFA) may have done him for the year. Fame is the likely winner of the Gold Cup but at the prices Opinion Poll is the bet.

Fame And Glory is the most likely winner of the Ascot Gold Cup but I 100% agree with DJ that he is a brutal price. I don't think he deserves to be anything like 11/10. I could make a case for the next three in the betting, but equally well all three have question marks over them as well. I'm still undecided whether to back against him or just lay.

I'd like to take on Power but no idea who is running yet.

The Long Distance Cup would hardly be far enough for F&G nowadays, hence his making his own pace in it last season. Now he's proved that he can do it, the Gold Cup pace isn't going to be a problem, and I can't see either Opinion Poll or Colour Vision troubling him in a truly run race over the distance.
Agree about the price though.

Steering clear of the big handicaps will be my policy this year. Every year I try and suss them out and it never really has paid for me the last few years. I've always seen this an as awful meeting for me in terms of selecting winners.

If I had to suggest a horse for the meeting It'd be Boomerang Bob on the Wednesday in the Jersey. Some nice form on softer surfaces and would have a lively chance of finally getting his head in front if he lined up I think.

Last edited:
I might have to revise my opposition to Fame And Glory down a notch or two. I think a strong and relentless pace can get him beat but his class will see him home otherwise. The only one who might produce the strong relentless pace required is Overturn whilst Gulf Of Naples might also help force it near the head of affairs and Ibecenco could also be prominent. Those three could produce a decent test. And, I think I like Saddler's Rock best of the opposition.

Therefore, from 'opposing' Fame And Glory I am inclined to back Saddler's Rock against him at 6/1 and have a saver on him at 11/10. That way I have strong pace and steady pace angles covered. In theory at least.

Last edited:
Why the move (5/4 from 7/4) for So You Think for the Prince Of Wales Stakes? Does the French horse not run or has APOB finally figured out how to get the 'wonder' horse fit?

Cirrus has drifted on Betfair. I've read that he's more likely to go for the Grand Prix du Saint Cloud.

I've had an each way bet on Reliable Man in that race. Conditions will suit and I expect him to return to some sort of form. 14s is too big.

I was thinking the same. A lot of the Ballydoyle horses seemed to have shortened for no apparent reason over the last 24/48 hours or so. Fame And Glory being the other obvious example.

Any thoughts on Frankel win distance? 10/11 greater than 4 appeals.. though I suppose if it cuts up really soft will have some effect on that potentially.

Little Bridge wins the Kings Stand. He's a top class sprinter who's improved and improved, will go on the ground and has taken Bated Breath before in Sha Tin.

12s is massive.

Any thoughts on Frankel win distance? 10/11 greater than 4 appeals.. though I suppose if it cuts up really soft will have some effect on that potentially.

I'm a layer of 4+. Cecil has said they're are other days to be had with the horse (steeping up in trip) and therefore he does not see the need for him to win by a wide margin.

Thanks for the update Perpetual, I was about to start a thread on it.

If you could update us during the meeting that would be much appreciated:)

Despite what people have said already about this meeting, this will be one of the most anticipated and important betting meetings of my life. I'm really going for it this year.

Working out when to bet and not to bet will be as important as anything, discipline is key!

Last edited:
Back