Royal Ascot

Agree - he wouldn't stay the Ascot mile on a motorbike, and at the pace this is likely to be run at, even a place is a forlorn hope.

Strong Suit will get a mile fine. He pulled too hard in his races before but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t stay a mile and he only failed at Group 1 level at a mile by a neck when pulling hard. He’s been taught to settle better and will be fine. The going could be more of a worry as he’d be better on a sounder surface. Nevertheless I reckon he’s ready to run a big race. One of the place bets of the week for me.

Wouldn't see the ground on the straight course as a problem, Steve. It's already 8.2 on the going stick, and liable to be faster.
The Ascot mile, at the likely strong pace, is a totally different kettle of fish to a slowly run Im around a sharp Chantilly, however.

Last edited:
Strong Suit ran at Chantilly as opposed to Deauville (which is an easier mile again, thereby reinforcing your point further). I can't see him staying at this pace.

No offence and good luck all the same Chris, but being objective CC has no chance, and I'd run him in one of the handicaps.

Sea Moon will be fine at Ascot. Other likely winners too.

Anyone think Born to sea has a shout tomorrow?

????

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

I do but he's getting short now. Plus, i think he will be a hard luck story if they ride him from the back like last time. Would love to see him win.

Hamm,

I agree but have that missed a chance feeling, if I don't have a small interest...!!

Mr Oxx, can always pull one out the bag...!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wouldn't see the ground on the straight course as a problem, Steve. It's already 8.2 on the going stick, and liable to be faster.
The Ascot mile, at the likely strong pace, is a totally different kettle of fish to a slowly run Im around a sharp Chantilly, however.

Yep I would think he'd be okay as it is. If it did turn soft I'd be more concerned.

He did finish well the last day. I'm almost tempted because so many of these scream Group 3 hype merchants.
Fencing has been deserted by the jockey for some creature who's had two lifetime runs.
Hermival was hideously flattered at Newmarket.
Most Improved should be 40/1 surely. Typical Meehan.
Lucayan won a handicap quality Poulains.
Someone must have told Koukash this race was at Chester - it's the only possible explanation for Gabrial's entry.

Awful renewal. Born to Sea will be double figures IR.

Last edited:
2.30 Strong Suit to be ridden for second place. Will back him without the fav.
3.05 Ortensia / Wizz Kid rev f/c
3.45 Awful renewal. Hermival for me as I reckon the Djebel mgiht still be the best 3yo race this year as far as amilers are concerned.
4.25 Heavy Metal each-way at long odds & 4 places. Tops my time ratings.
5.00 Ashbrittle but without much confidence in a tricky race. Private Story e/w at long odds for new stable.
5.35 No interest.

Easypeasy...

Strong Suit without the favourite yes, but for a place all in as well.

I'm pretty sure Wizz Kid will be good enough to finish in front of Ortensia.

Last edited:
No offence and good luck all the same Chris, but being objective CC has no chance, and I'd run him in one of the handicaps.

Sea Moon will be fine at Ascot. Other likely winners too.

Would love to know your basis on this. 18 horses left in, prob a field of about 10-12. He is rated 108 and improving and has actually improved significantly since his last run, something you would not know.

There is a lot of rain forcasted coming for the end of the week which will suit us significantly, but on the exact facts being 108 he needs to improve 10-12lb to win this. Sea Moon, Memphis Tennessee and Masked Marvel are probably the best horses in the race, but neither Sea Moon or Masked Marvel done enough to say they are as good as their marks on their comeback efforts and I'm not remotely worried about Memphis Tenessee, as I know we will turn the Chester form upside down with him.

This horse has improved way more than 10-12lb since his last run, and he also hated the fast ground last time at York, so didn't run to his full potential. Unlike many in the race, being lightly raced we are one of only a few open to improvement in the race and he won't be far away and I genuinely believe he can win.

Not many of these will want testing ground and with the rain forecaster Wednesday night through Thursday and Friday, there is every chance the ground will be very soft, which won't suit a lot of these, but will suit us down to the ground.

Would love to know your basis on this. 18 horses left in, prob a field of about 10-12. He is rated 108 and improving and has actually improved significantly since his last run, something you would not know.

There is a lot of rain forcasted coming for the end of the week which will suit us significantly, but on the exact facts being 108 he needs to improve 10-12lb to win this. Sea Moon, Memphis Tennessee and Masked Marvel are probably the best horses in the race, but neither Sea Moon or Masked Marvel done enough to say they are as good as their marks on their comeback efforts and I'm not remotely worried about Memphis Tenessee, as I know we will turn the Chester form upside down with him.

This horse has improved way more than 10-12lb since his last run, and he also hated the fast ground last time at York, so didn't run to his full potential. Unlike many in the race, being lightly raced we are one of only a few open to improvement in the race and he won't be far away and I genuinely believe he can win.

Not many of these will want testing ground and with the rain forecaster Wednesday night through Thursday and Friday, there is every chance the ground will be very soft, which won't suit a lot of these, but will suit us down to the ground.

Forgetting about the fact it is your horse, I am 90% sure it is not now suddenly a 120 horse (as the 12 pound improvement would suggest).

Memphis Tennesse is a genuine Group 1 horse I think. I see Calico Cat as a listed class horse (not in any way a slight, I'd love to own a Listed class horse). He may improve to Group 3 standard, but I don't believe any further. Sea Moon and Fiorente (who I think will improve) will comfortably beat him, and if they run, Dunaden, Hunter's Light and Red Cadeaux as well. I would probably back Quest for Peace, Jakkalberry and Masked Marvel in match races as well (before you ask, not betting on this or too many other RA racing).

To be honest, I think you've missed a trick with the horse. If you have felt all along he is a 115 horse (not sure what exactly your feeling is on his true potential) why did you run it in the Ormonde first time out, and with that and his last race, you have completely messed up his handicap mark for not great gain (£18,000). I am not in any way shape or form suggesting cheating or holding anything back, but you could have had him run in a handicap at Royal Ascot 20 pounds well in (based again on the presumption you see him as a 115 horse).

Good luck regardless, and you did very well spotting him for so cheap.

Alex Hammond has napped Born To Sea Old Vic which probably not only will be the biggest priced selection she has ever put up but also it's likely to jinx the poor beast.

Hope for your sake I am wrong and she manages to tip a rare winner.

Back