RUK Lambasts Trainers/Jockeys

Perhaps its because everytime any of them speaks in public it is lambasted by people on racing forums. This jockey said this and its crap, that jockey said this and is an idiot, that trainer wants this and is smug, the other trainer said this and is a crook.

Everyone on these forums is so fucking clever why do then do we need to listen to trainers and jockeys when all that is done afterwards is pointed out, on here, where, why and by how much they are glaringly and utterly wrong and stupid.

Who needs their views when we know everything.

Perhaps its because everytime any of them speaks in public it is lambasted by people on racing forums. This jockey said this and its crap, that jockey said this and is an idiot, that trainer wants this and is smug, the other trainer said this and is a crook.

Everyone on these forums is so fucking clever why do then do we need to listen to trainers and jockeys when all that is done afterwards is pointed out, on here, where, why and by how much they are glaringly and utterly wrong and stupid.

Who needs their views when we know everything.

Fascinated to know which jockeys/trainers read or pay any attention to these forums! I think you think too highly of us all UG!

There will of course be the "betfair mob" that lynch a trainer or jockey for saying something in good faith but in the end being proved wrong, but that is the same in any walk of life and the ignorant should be treated like that.

Its remarkable that tennis players, footballers, runners, f1 drivers etc all of who get more abuse and publicity in the press still have no trouble giving indepth interviews or in the case of tennis players and F1 drivers indepth press conferences after every match/race within an hour of their event win/lose/or draw. If they do not turn up they get a hefty fine.

Last edited:
I don't see much evidence of what you say on here, UG.

Not sure are you referring to the BF forum? I never visit.

In the post Derby announcements did I hear (in the background) Clair Balding start the trophy presentations with the words 'Your Majesty, ... ladies and gentlemen .........'

I'm rather glad that RUK stuck to lambasting the racing establishment over lack of PR rather than mentioning Her Majesty might have overlooked another rather important engagement in France.

Priorities are such a tricky thing to get right.

MR2

the "Lords" bit really gets me - why can't she just go "ladies and gentlemen and those idiots up in the boxes" like most folk want her to do?

Johnny Murtagh's interviews are fantastic, and he always gives his honest opinion. Others could learn a lot from him. He's also ambassador for HRI, i believe.

A vast majority of the interviews are simple pap and not particularly taxing for any half celebral person to work their way through. So lets not hear any nonesense about jockeys being asked to give away priviledged inside information, that's just a smokescreen for people who are labouring under the delusion that they're to good to engage with their customer base, and to do so is unworthy and beneath them.

I also feel so very sorry for these pathetically fragile little flowers in racing that are scarred to voice an opinion (however nebulous the question is) for fear that some big bad wolf might be lurking at a keyboard, out there in the dark recesses of cyberspace and say something rude about them. My own experience is that you're often better off talking to an interviewer as they'll make a quote up otherwise. Better off giving it in the first place and at least that way you stand half a chance of being represented fairly!!!

I do think it's important to differentiate between obligations to the media and sponsors however.

I'm frankly staggered that those who moan loudest about lack of prize money, haven't seemingly got the common courteousy to lend their support to a new sponsor.

Racing is not a proper sport as such. It's a kind of hybrid of occasion and theatre. As such it belongs to the entertainment and leisure industry. As a spectator spectacle, its a poor product. The action is too intermitant and takes place at too longer a distance for it to make an appeal on the strength of the raw product alone. Anyone involved in its coverage and promotion has to find 30 minutes to fill for every 2 or 3 it's actually producing any action. It's inaccessible for a vast majority as a participation sport too, so will always struggle to grow a following in the way that many of us will have come to other sports; sports and alternative leisure offers in case they haven't noticed, with whom it has to compete. If it can't compete and generate customer churn then it will slowly wither into the background of the consumer conscience.

The idea that its ok to ignore the media (ie the public) is economically illiterate. Any business that treats its customers with contempt is in trouble..simple as that

Its a hangover from when racing was the only punting game in town. Now it isnt of course and punters who are more open minded than racing fanatics about where their pound will be wagered will be turned off. I would be

even the muppets on the Apprentice could understand thats a big no no

Warbler i agree about jockeys (although agree with Hamm about Murtagh too....terrific interviewee) but trainers have to do their part for punters, even if said same punters choose to think its all rubbish

As I said, a casual punter or even a serious one who dabbles in racing say, listening to Gosden will apprecaite that some effort is being made to communicate and may even believe that hes found something to grasp upon. Self same seeing stoute run off as if hes been asked if he molests kids, would turn over to the golf

So far this year, what has Gosden told us that we couldn't work out for ourselves, and what has Stoute (for example) not told us that we couldn't work out for ourselves?

None at all but on the other hand (and i know it irritates some people) he does pontificate about the wider issues in racing a lot and would naturally have a greater perspective

I'd like to see Gosden have a column somewhere, and you're probably on to something about him having spent time in the US.

Its not what you think you can work out for yourself DJ...its what those with less time/inclination to do so think that matters as far as racings promotion goes

I don't think the communication is about helping to find winners, more to do with information, sharing thoughts and giving an insight into the sport.

I wouldnt really want to see "his column" anywhere.......but each to their own

Sorry...bit sixth form humour that

Lol

anyway, let me know if you do come across to the eclipse if he runs andrew. good to meet up again

He doesn't have to tell us anything in particular - does Rafa Benitez tell us anything we can't work out from seeing the team on the pitch in his post-match interviews? Same goes for Ferguson, Wenger etc.

It's about perception.

So far this year, what has Gosden told us that we couldn't work out for ourselves, and what has Stoute (for example) not told us that we couldn't work out for ourselves?

You're missing the point David. To coin a popular phrase of the day, it's superficial window dressing. As I pointed out, this isn't the Spanish Inquisiton. The questions are normally non-taxing and pretty banal and can be easily handled with a few stock soundbites. All a trainer does pre-race if give some meaningless assurances about a horses well being, and all a jockey does post race is pay a few tributes to the animal and the team and then say something about the ground.

What it potentially does though is put faces onto the screen with greater regularity in the hope that they might become familiar, and help build up a sense of anticipation and expectation. It's not a big ask, and Galielo makes the comparison with other sports such as F1 and tennis well.

In the first case F1 drivers are contractually bound by FIA to a post race interview. They also know the value of sponsorship and you'll always see them decked out in billboard overalls topped off with sponsors cap, whilst behind them will be a backboard of approved corporate logos. In addition to this their drivers have a whole book of promotional engagements, corproate hospitality and product launches they need lend their image to and help their sponsors with through out a year.

F1 for all its faults, knows the value of sponsorship and the need to promote a wider life-style product beyond the nuts and bolts of a fast car going round in circles. And lets not also lose sight of the fact that secrecy is of even greater paramounce in F1 than even horse racing

Last edited:
Back