RUK Lambasts Trainers/Jockeys

I see your point, I just don't see what 'pretty banal' interviews will offer as enjoyment to the informed viewer or to help increase the interest of the casual fan.

I think it's improtant to remember this is horse racing. The true stars and interesting characters are the likes of Sea The Stars today, not the likes of Mick Kinane and John Oxx.

I don't agree with the statement of giving jockies that don't respond to the media fines bar Ryan Moore they pretty much all give good interviews so you'd be fining the same bloke quite a lot and forcing him to do things he doesnt want to do because that's just who he is and we all have bad traits.

I don't know what more we can expect trainers to do because the breedings out there for everyone to read and we can make our own judgement on their horses when they run and you get the odd insider like Flame who gives feedback, I am sure most of you have Flame alikes in your contacts so what are we expecting trainers to come out and give videos and pictures of horses working at home, statements of bets, the daily dosage of water/hay a horse is eating.

I know it gets boring hearing the same old "hes working well at home, hes a good horse" etc but is there anything more they can really say? that is racing, horses train and they run its not so dynamic as F1.

The true stars of the godawful "sport" of formula one are the cars. they make even worse interviewees than horses...

The human element is therefore promoted (apparently...i would rather spend a week in the dentists chair than watch it)

It seems that the only thing that got racing centre stage and brought it (for want of a better saying) to the common man in the street, was the Fallon/Betfair case. But even then there were reporting conditions. Which I do not understand in entirety as it made the whole thing look even more corrupt. That I think put people off in the long term. As it showed one rule for them and a different one from everyone else. The world is different now and that type of thing matters to the regular bod. So when Jockeys and trainers refuse to speak to the media it adds to the problem. Those they are trying to attract see them as ignorant. Maybe there is just too much of the them and us and no one seems capable of removing that or are prevented. It could even be that the press themselves have caused the problem by turning some facts into a drama without regard for those it would effect.

F1 for all its faults, knows the value of sponsorship and the need to promote a wider life-style product beyond the nuts and bolts of a fast car going round in circles. And lets not also lose sight of the fact that secrecy is of even greater paramounce in F1 than even horse racing

Which probably explains why the BBC paid a shed load for F1 and aren't even arsed about racing, who can blame them.

And how many people do you see at F1 even in the expensive seats in Sunday best, top hat and tails!

Last edited:
Did anyone actually enjoy BBC's coverage today? I thought it was such a refreshing change!

Did anyone actually enjoy BBC's coverage today? I thought it was such a refreshing change!

A change from what exactly?

Carson's interview technique is basically putting a microphone in front of a jockey and going "eh"?

Some guy interviews people in the fairground or "celebrities" with little or no interest in the sport at all but will tell us they are having a wonderful day.

The two race analysers aren't bad while of course Claire is top class.

The two oafs in the betting ring are not worth mentioning....seriously.

A change from what exactly?

Carson's interview technique is basically putting a microphone in front of a jockey and going "eh"?

Some guy interviews people in the fairground or "celebrities" with little or no interest in the sport at all but will tell us they are having a wonderful day.

The two race analysers aren't bad while of course Claire is top class.

The two oafs in the betting ring are not worth mentioning....seriously.

:lol: The feature with Parrot at Leicester was desperate. At least Loughran was quite good at the betting bit before.

The guy from the Apprentice seemed to know more than I expected but god knows why they even bother with those features.

I don't agree with the statement of giving jockies that don't respond to the media fines bar Ryan Moore they pretty much all give good interviews so you'd be fining the same bloke quite a lot and forcing him to do things he doesnt want to do because that's just who he is and we all have bad traits.

Not really, there are many facets to a persons job that they might not like doing as much as others. Tough!!! You can't pick and choose the bits you like and disregard the others.

As I also keep repeating to little avail it seems. I think it's important to differentiate between media interviews and sponsorship obligations. I just hope no one connected with Michael Stoutes yard bleats about lack of prize money in the next 12 months (if indeed it was he as reported, who refused to indulge Investec).

Coming to David's point, as Clive suggests, interviewing a horse ain't easy. (albeit you might get more out of one than someone like Ryan Moore). All these interview fills do is allow the product to flow more coherently on television, (the, vital media afterall lets not forget) and anyone whose claiming that its an imposition is simply kow-towing to jockey propoganda.

I don't buy for one second that they're too tired. Do me a favour FFS. If Paula Ratcliffe can run 26 miles and give an interview, or a boxer get battered for 12 rounds and mumble away, or messers Nadal and Federer play for 5 hours in a Wimbledon final and both do gracious interviews, then someone who spends a few minutes on a horse can.

I seem to remember a 400m runner collapsing on the track and having a microphone put under their nose. Now as anyone knows, the 400m is a true lung burster and at current performance levels is right on the edge of the human range for what is a sprint. The athlete concerned gestured a bit and murmured for a bit of respite - "half a minute" she said, desparately gulping in oxygen. After about half a minute she nodded that she'd try and take questions, though clearly out of breadth she was trying to allow the viewer the chance to share in the achievement and in doing so was helping to promote her sport.

This excuse that they're at work etc is also bollox. Most normal people can multi task to the point that they can talk to someone whilst at work about an issue that isn't necessarily relevant to something they might be doing in 20 mintues time. Are we really being asked to believe that jockeys are uniquely consumed with racing that they can't do anythign other than think work, work, work. It's an excuse. What this excuse does to me is reveal a neurosis as to what they consider their work to be. Do they not consider the promotion of their sport and ensuring a decent PR for it to be part of their work? Clearly not. There's a difference between 'work' and 'a job', and jockeys don't seem to understand the notion of 'working the job'.

I'm afraid it's largely down to a sense of inbred arrogance within the industry, and limited horizons and perspectives brough about by entrenced conservatiove attitudes and a refusal to move with the times.

Top jockeys often have sponsors names on their silks these days. Do they turn that money away? You bet they don't. But they don't mind turning a camera away that would feature that sponsors name, and then they have the audacity to complain that prize money isn't high enough. Yet they don't seem to realise that sponsors will only provide money if they like the product, and that the product can attract exposure.

Any trainer with a bit of media savvy would use the opportunity as a two way dialogue and realise that being interviewed (often after a win lets not forget) actually puts them in the shop window. I wonder how pleased they'd be if only the horses name appeared in a racing result?

I'll give you a good example of someone who I thought handled it well on Imperial Cup day (and she hasn't been without her history in this area either) and that was VMW. She'd won a race and was being interviewed. She was asked a stock question by Thommo I think it was, about her prospects at Cheltenham next week.

She paused a little bit, and came within a whisker of giving a few names out but thought better of it. Instead she simply expressed the view that she felt she'd got a few well handicapped. Its a win/win scenario. She leaves a bit of a hint for punters to latch onto, the sense of privacy is protected (though in all likelihood owners would have known the targets and had their ante-post by then) and she's able to advertise her talents as a trainer. Not difficult and not particularly taxing was it?

The most disappointing thing I ever saw was when a winner returned to the paddock the presenter (Graham I think) spoke to all involved and when it came to the lass who did the horse (which I recall was Ask a good year ago now) when she went to say her comment on his good run (and she was probably the proudest of his achievement at the time) was cut off mid sentance by the presenter who rudely then started speaking to the jockey. Now lets face it even those not into racing in a big way would see that as ignorant.

We used to have Lesley Graham ramming mikes up horses' noses before they'd even turned for the horsewalk, so why can't we have someone on horseback, like the USA, and as she did it for a perhaps ill-advised while, and talk back in with the winning jockey? At any premier meeting, NH, Flat, or pony racing, the winning trainers should be willing to talk about their animals, before and after the big races. The jock can be asked to breathe heavily into the mike and thank his trainer, his mum, and his cocker spaniel for all I care about what they'll say - look, they're never going to say the horse is a bastid dog who had to be thumped the whole way, and if they had him they'd kick his arse from Shanghai to Angola, are they? And why not interview winning owners? No presenter - apart from the much-maligned and over-criticised Tommo actually ever goes up cheerfully to winning owners (yet they do in the USA and Australia), and gets in a few words with them, too. Whyever not?

I don't think it's something you can legislate for, in terms of jockeys earning a living, but it is something which sponsors should expect, perhaps on the presentation podium, for the huge amount of dosh they've ante'd up for these events.

I don't think it's anything to do with Flat versus NH - plenty of gabby trainers are dual purpose, and you can't stop Nicholls even if you want to - the man is a nonstop promoter of his yard (and I don't mean that in a bad way, just a fact). I don't buy any of that "NH is so friendly" guff because most of NH comprises the old huntin', shootin', fishin' fraternity and fraffly county types, most of whom prefer not to rub shoulders with the prole hoi polloi, thenkyew.

Strange isn't it, how opinions differ.

I wouldn't mind if I never saw another jockey interview in my life. I only remember one, given by K.Fallon, that was the least bit informative.

Some trainers are quite good at it but I would still rather see the horses beforehand rather than talking heads.

Nope, -- the usual pap where the BBC thinks 'funny' bookie GW & ex-snooker player JP are adding to the value; they're so clearly not. Some old tosh about a gipsy, too.
Not enough effort spent on showing the past performances of the contestants: hardly any, in fact.
Lazily and condesendingly produced for the BBC's idea of a soppy public. The production team have either got no idea or simply do not care.
Pretty much in line with the rest of the week's tat. Make that "year's".

You can't change peoples characters by whinging about it. Some people no matter what you throw at them are remorselessly quite pleased and will answer any gormless question at any time and not be cross or grumpy. Some people can not cope or do not have the patience to answer an utterly stupid question from a dribbling monkey like Luke Harvey or a gurning emptyhead like Lesley Graham. Some of those people will stop and give an interesting answer to certain interviewers because they recognise a fair question from a knowledgeable person, but if Rishi Persad says hows the horse? well ... how the **** do you think it is, its going to post for the derby.

If I've just legged my jockey up I want to go and watch the horse canter down and get a spot for the race on my own, I dont want to wait for a Ch4 commercial break to end while I hang round in the paddock with Nick Luck in order to listen to a 2minute long question tell him that the horse has been very well since Ascot and I think he'll stay the extra furlong. Another trainer will happily do it.
So be happy and pleased with those ones, be pissed off with the non-communicative ones, if you must but accept them for what they are. I dont care. You can't make all humans the same and to react in the same way and that to me makes it more interesting than a set of 'i'm quite pleased' robots that lazy journalists and program makers want to make their productions for them

I don't buy any of that "NH is so friendly" guff because most of NH comprises the old huntin', shootin', fishin' fraternity and fraffly county types, most of whom prefer not to rub shoulders with the prole hoi polloi, thenkyew.

Spot on, plenty of flat trainers go beyond what is required. John Gosden, Clive Cox and even Marcus Tregonning are excellent in that regard.

I'm not sure how anyone can question how important it is for the sport for the big names to be media friendly and indulge in communicating with the public via the media. It's vital for any sport or form of entertainment. Warbs has summed it up best, there are simply no excuses for not doing it.

Strange isn't it, how opinions differ.

I wouldn't mind if I never saw another jockey interview in my life. I only remember one, given by K.Fallon, that was the least bit informative.

Some trainers are quite good at it but I would still rather see the horses beforehand rather than talking heads.

Spot on Colin and if anyone knows the horse better than anyone else it's the lad who does it. They can speak for their horses. The funniest story I heard was an owner asking the lad what he thought of the horse and the reply was "he was crap" Sadly the lad got the sack for telling the truth.

Another constant source of frustration to trainers and jockeys is the amount of misquoting thats takes place after they have spoken. They give a few words to a journalist as required and the next day something totally different appears in the paper, or taken out of context. Again, to some interviewees this may be water off a ducks back but to others it is enough to make them not want to speak to those people again if they are incapable of getting it right.

This excuse that they're at work etc is also bollox. Most normal people can multi task to the point that they can talk to someone whilst at work about an issue that isn't necessarily relevant to something they might be doing in 20 mintues time. Are we really being asked to believe that jockeys are uniquely consumed with racing that they can't do anythign other than think work, work, work. It's an excuse.

Ah, so now Ryan Moore is expected to have a microphone in his face, giving an interview, whilst he's getting changed into his colours for the next race and weighing out? How's that for multi-tasking! Maybe the camera should have stayed in his face whilst he spoke to connections of the horse he was - shock, horror! - having to ride in the next race on from the Coronation Cup.

People forget that horses don't magically appear on a track already saddled up and with a jockey on board - they have to be prepared and supervised beforehand (now there's a controversial idea - maybe Stoute was too pre-occupied with supervising the care of his filly running in the Oaks, little more than an hour after the Coronation Cup, and looking after her connections, to be concerned with a press conference?) and the jockey has to get changed out of colours and into the next ones, weigh out, talk to the trainer of the horse he is riding next after weighing out, maybe he might even (media permitting) want to have a mouthful of water or go to the toilet prior to coming out to talk to connections of his next mount and receive their instructions.

I can tell you one thing - an hour before a horse of mine was running the last thing I'd want to do is have a bloody microphone shoved in my face whilst asked some dumb questions by journalists looking to bulk out their copy with as many quotes as they can garner [even though oft-misquoted]. Want to know how many times I've seen journalists crowd around a television set shoving their dictaphones at the speakers so that they can fill tomorrow's piece full of quotes that are being broadcast on Channel 4?

Racing is the sort of sport that when prize money dries up yet further due to its completely insular nature and inability to attract new audiences and sponsors, those affected will complain no end despite the fact they created the storm and stood out in it for about three decades.

You can't change peoples characters by whinging about it. Some people no matter what you throw at them are remorselessly quite pleased and will answer any gormless question at any time and not be cross or grumpy. Some people can not cope or do not have the patience to answer an utterly stupid question from a dribbling monkey like Luke Harvey or a gurning emptyhead like Lesley Graham. Some of those people will stop and give an interesting answer to certain interviewers because they recognise a fair question from a knowledgeable person, but if Rishi Persad says hows the horse? well ... how the **** do you think it is, its going to post for the derby.

If I've just legged my jockey up I want to go and watch the horse canter down and get a spot for the race on my own, I dont want to wait for a Ch4 commercial break to end while I hang round in the paddock with Nick Luck in order to listen to a 2minute long question tell him that the horse has been very well since Ascot and I think he'll stay the extra furlong. Another trainer will happily do it.
So be happy and pleased with those ones, be pissed off with the non-communicative ones, if you must but accept them for what they are. I dont care. You can't make all humans the same and to react in the same way and that to me makes it more interesting than a set of 'i'm quite pleased' robots that lazy journalists and program makers want to make their productions for them

Good post and totally agree. People who are supposed to be presenters can't do the job so why should everyone else be expected to be experts/comfortable in handling media experiences?

Any chance of just saving all the interviews for a one hour media session at the end of racing?

They put the winner of the big race up on a podium and have the press fire questions at them ala Formula 1 (as Alun has already alluded to).

As most of the presenters have personal connections and or are on the opposite side in the game to some of those they are interviewing or reporting on etc. does this not give them a slightly unbiased opinion and tantamount to a conflict of interests?

Back