RUK Lambasts Trainers/Jockeys

It's a weeny bit off topic, but I waited forever and ever for the runner to bring the CD from the film truck to the winning connections' suite at Brighton this afternoon, following the win of SINBAD THE SAILOR. James, the charming assistant to John Hills, did some paperwork as we waited, and waited... finally, I sent out for word of where the darn thing had got to. It had been accidentally intercepted by one of the stewards (the runner thinking he was 'some bloke' delivering it to me!), to view re Ryan's riding of MICK IS BACK, for which he drew a 2-day suspension.

At the end of the day's racing, Richard Aldous, the Clerk of the Course, brought a smashed CD case to show me. "This is what Ryan did to the CD case," he said. "He chucked it across the weighing room and then went over and stamped on it."

Now, come on, who says the lad doesn't have a sense of humour?

I think a certain well renowned jockey of yore might have done somethng similar, if these goddamn cd things were around in his day?

Strange isn't it, how opinions differ.

I wouldn't mind if I never saw another jockey interview in my life. I only remember one, given by K.Fallon, that was the least bit informative.

Some trainers are quite good at it but I would still rather see the horses beforehand rather than talking heads.

Hear hear!

Ah, so now Ryan Moore is expected to have a microphone in his face, giving an interview, whilst he's getting changed into his colours for the next race and weighing out? How's that for multi-tasking! Maybe the camera should have stayed in his face whilst he spoke to connections of the horse he was - shock, horror! - having to ride in the next race on from the Coronation Cup.

You're just conjuring up extreme examples to suit a case now. For a start the word 'interview' needs taking in context, it's no different to a couple of banal questions the type of which football managers routinely field just after half-time. It's hardly an interview in any classic understanding of the word

A lot of pieces can also be shot in advance in simply edited into the coverage anyway, and since half of these so called interviews take place with the winner coming back in from the track, the idea that he's being chased into a weighing room is selected for effect I'm afraid.

One of the best ways of ensuring you aren't misquoted of course is to make your comments on live television. Most sports people get misrepresented by a mischeivous media at some point, as indeed we do in other areas of our lives, but view it as an occupational hazard. It's just a sad fact that the 4th estate don't allows uphold their end of the bargain. Funnily enough though, you have less chance of being so if you co-operate a bit. I've had reason to go 'on and off' the record with journos before now and have never had an 'off the record' comment reported or hinted at. They've even made copy amendments when I've had second thoughts about the senstivity of information i've disclosed, or the choice of words used. My experience on the most part is they've been pretty good and not wanting to drop a source 'in it', but every now and then will get something go wrong (normally a sub-editor trying to find an angle that doesn't exist).

I'll give you one example from the 1987 British GP, as title chasing Nigel Mansell sat on the grid about 20 minutes from the off, and under a lot more pressure than any rider would be in a horse race. The BBC approached him for a few simple words. As the microphone neared him it was obvious he was in conversation with his pit and going through what I could only describe as a pre-flight check list (probably quite intense and very important work).

The microphone clearly picked him having technical conversations, until he saw the BBC. He said "Just got to disconnect for a few minutes. Steve Ryder BBC wants a word". He completed some radio some sign off garb, and then cooly turned round Ryder and said "How are you Steve? enjoying the day?" before going on to talk briefly about his chances, and offer some reassuring words to his watching public. Mansell won the race incidentally.

It's very simple really, you just provide a Q&A session after racing for the more intense interviews as has been suggested. Football routinely does it with their superficial MotM awards. The match sponsor has the priviledge of naming the MotM and presenting them with a bottle of something after the game in the players lounge. The winner of the award is invariably the highest profile player regardless of how well he plays, because the sponsor wants a good PR photo to shovel into their corporate newsletter. Does the footballer say I've finished my work I'm paid to play football and now I'm off home? No. Again, they contractually bound and fined if they fail to, to attend post match sponsors events

Jockeys need to realise (as indeed some do) that the media is their shop window and without it their sport and livelihood withers. It's an uneasy Faustian pact they need to make, but its no different in principle to the same facing other sports people, many of whom are subject to infinately more intrusive media scrutiny than a 'borderline sport' like racing. For the most part the general sporting public have little interest in racing and it just passes them by. Jockey drunk in night club is immaterial when compared to footballer's girlfriend gets thrown on to table full of drinks, so they're hardly being exposed to the sharp end of media interest and interrogation (probably because few people outside of a cosy little group are interested).

What i do know is that any sport without profile will eventually suffer, and the fallout will go right the way back down the line. The media is the vehicle that provides that profile. Some people might not like the idea, and choose to adopt a short-term perspective laced as it is with a sense of pompous misplaced superiority, but other sports who already enjoy a natural advantage by having a better product in the first place are more obliging and more innovative in their inter-action and access. If racing thinks it can afford not to embrace the mass media because it's to good or to important, then I'm afraid its sadly deluded.

The other point I keep raising, to no avail, is the obligation to sponsors. I think it's critically important to differentiate between the two. Failure to engage with race sponsors should be penalised by some code of conduct. The media I can cut a lot more slack to because of other considerations, but all these advocates who seem to think that jockeys and trainers have no repsonsibility beyond the narrow confines of their next owner seem to be ducking out of this one. Like I've said three times now, they're the first people to complain at low prize money.

Last edited:
I'm not conjuring up extreme examples to suit a case - after having won on Ask, Ryan Moore had to debrief connections, weigh in, do the presentation, get changed into colours for the next race, most probably talk to the trainer in the weighing room after weighing out when he collected the saddle, before going out to the paddock to meet connections and receive instructions. As I said, he probably wanted a mouthful of water or something as well as a 5 minute sit down, he might even have wanted to have a dump!

It's also worth pointing out that racing was already running 10 minutes behind by this point and they were trying to catch up which will have been another 10 minutes cut off the time he had until going out for the next. It's no wonder he wasn't especially keen to hold a press conference straight after the race.

As a good example of how trainers are often misquoted, John Oxx was directly quoted in the RP as having said "it hasn't stopped raining in Ireland for two and a half weeks" when in fact what he said was "it hasn't stopped raining in Ireland for two and a half years" ! At which point is it acceptable for journalists to substitute their own words into direct quotes? It's no wonder no-one wants to talk to them, it's constant.

But Shadz, surely even you can see the need for connections of horses to interact with the media more for the greater good of the sport?

Not in the middle of racing if they don't want to. Besides which, every person has the right to refuse having a microphone shoved in their face; as has been said, many people are of the type that they detest such things. They're jockeys/trainers, not Hollywood actors, nor s racing an entertainments sideshow.

So when connections continue to refuse media interaction and sponsors flee, you won't mind the further drops in prize money I take it?

Not in the middle of racing if they don't want to. Besides which, every person has the right to refuse having a microphone shoved in their face; as has been said, many people are of the type that they detest such things. They're jockeys/trainers, not Hollywood actors, nor s racing an entertainments sideshow.

Very significant based on my comment about turning matters into a drama. I believe I may have found a like minded person in SL:)

He is right though - the racing press do often take things and sensationalise them into a drama where there is none. Even over mundane, silly things. Usually it's a tweaking of actual quotes and a twisting of those already tweaked comments and what they actually mean.

Last edited:
Basically don't believe the hype, after all they are the ones who get paid for churning out a load of bollie. The racing press/media just seem a bit more prone to leading everyone up the garden path. I can think of one or two prime examples that would make your hair curl and in racing, I would imagine on the grand scale of things the media part would be illegal too. Another case for another day eh! Something tells me Shadz (best way to put your name) may have an incling about one thing in particular. But I have to ask how do you know if I'm he or she. I haven't produced my form card?

Sorry, I have no idea if you're male or female Toobe, it's a reference I made without thinking about it. I call most things 'he'!

About as far removed as Mottershead, I'd say! :lol: Incidentally he's one of the worst, especially when it comes to flowery dressed up prose that means nothing. Incidentally, at least twice Mottershead has written about "hocks slipping off" horses - for God's sake!! One of those he used in a direct trainer quote!! No trainer would ever have said that as it's about as impossible for a hock to slip off as it is for an elbow to 'slip off' ! After the second incident I couldn't help but to point it out to one of his colleagues (a very approachable guy, get on well with him, somewhat rare in the journalist world even though there are some out there!) who was very interested and asked me to explain what would have really happened. He was also fairly surprised since he said Mottershead (having ridden) tends to know more about horses than a lot of the RP's journos. Not in this case, eh?!

Actually, maybe I'm being a little unfair. There are a lot of journalists I get on well with and have a lot of time for; unfortunately, same as in all walks of life it is somehow the worst culprits who tend to infiltrate and take over, giving them all a bad name.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll find that it's more likely to be the case that the bad ones tend to resonate more with you, and log in the memory bank. It's probably no different to football referees as few people remember the last good decision they saw, but can probably give a list of bad ones going back decades. Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty low regard for journalists, and racing journalists in particular have a greater opportunity to engage in borderline activity, they are a necessary evil though

Agreed a good one is worth their weight in gold. Some are better at the written word as oppose to being the "shoving the mike in the face brigade" As with the horse it would depend on whether they are in the correct race for their ability. Some are good allrounders and run on any ground! Sadly I don't think it helped when a certain jockey (won't say the name as I might be up for a court case otherwise) took one of them to court sometime back. Does that not seem more likely in part, responsible for the current problems. I was always brought up with the sticks and stones will break your bones type mentality, but I guess others may not be of such a constitution. A physical attack is far more damaging than anything ever said. If every politician had someone in court on the grounds of "But he said or wrote..." it would be laughed at, need I say more!

From the RP...

Tracks hoping to force Flat trainers to talk

By Lee Mottershead5.42PM 9 JUN 2009

A NUMBER of Britain's leading racecourses are formulating plans that would force the connections of runners in major Flat races to engage in media activity in an effort to improve the public perception of the sport and its participants.
If the radical proposals receive the approval of the BHA, it will become a condition of entry to certain designated contests that trainers agree to make themselves available to the media both before and afterthe races, regardless of whether their horses win or lose.
One informed racecourse source said: "Getting media participation as part of race conditions is very much on the industry agenda of major racecourses. It is a requirementof the participants in other sports and racing is thinking of moving in the same direction.
"It's all to do with selling the sport. We really see the advantage of pushing this through, but we need to bring other people with us."

If the radical proposals receive the approval of the BHA, it will become a condition of entry to certain designated contests that trainers agree to make themselves available to the media both before and afterthe races, regardless of whether their horses win or lose.

Who are they trying to kid? Never in a million years will this proposal be passed; it can't, it's bollocks. So the trainers have to make themselves available to the media minutes before their horse runs in a Classic? You're having a laugh. Even funnier is the thought that trainers have to make themselves available to the media for interview seconds after their favourite for a Classic/Group 1 has just been pulverised. There would be violence. It's a ridiculous idea. By all means make short press conferences after racing has finished compulsory for some races, but the suggestion here is farcical and will never happen.

I think its a fantastic idea and should certainly be looked into.

I dont think forcing them to talk "minutes" before the off (why do you keep trying to choose the worst possible example or timing?) is necessary but certainly at some stage as the race meeting progresses.

Brilliant idea indeed, it happens in every other sport. Why does insular, backward, ignorant, resistant to change racing need to be any different? (Answered my own question there).

I dont think forcing them to talk "minutes" before the off (why do you keep trying to choose the worst possible example or timing?) is necessary but certainly at some stage as the race meeting progresses.

I choose the worst possible example of timing to demonstrate just what a stupid idea it is. We all know that at times, people HAVE had microphones shoved in their face at such dumb moments - cue Thommo or Lesley Graham ramming a microphone in someones face on their way out of the paddock as their horse goes to post, or in the jockey's face before they've even pulled up. It DOES happen and it WILL happen with a lot more regularity if BHA rules force trainers to make themselves available to the media before and after races.

It's especially interesting that those who are so pro the idea don't have a lot of experience of preparing their own horses for races or quite realise the stresses and anxieties it entails.

Back