Sandown Coral Eclipse

Great race, the winner did well to win because he didn't like the fast ground one jot

Trainer says he's an out and out mile and a quarter horse so York, Leopardstown and Champions day look the likely targets

Mishriff was unlucky, we always seem to underrate him and a rematch at York will be interesting

Yes, I realised about two minutes after posting that Baaeed would probably go to York too.

Mouthwatering possibility.

Just watched the race [yet] again and Mishriff is a good five lengths better than the bare result.

It will be interesting to see how Desert Crown comes on from the Derby too.

After so many disappointing G1 races, Baaeed excepted, this is much more like it.

Well the 5s didn't last for Mishriff at York.

And Soumillan got 12 days for celebrating and almost put Buick and the Doyler over the rails.
Bit harsh really.

An enquiry was held to consider interference shortly after the line when the winner, VADENI (FR), ridden by C. Soumillon interfered with NATIVE TRAIL, placed third, ridden by William Buick and LORD NORTH (IRE), placed fourth, ridden by James Doyle. Soumillon was suspended for 12 days for careless riding as, when making a celebratory gesture and leaving only one hand on the rein, allowed his mount to drift right causing considerable interference to both NATIVE TRAIL and LORD NORTH (IRE), with Buick becoming short for room and having to take a check, resulting in LORD NORTH (IRE) on the inside being severely tightened up against the rail with Doyle taking a significant check to avoid the of heels of NATIVE TRAIL.

Well the 5s didn't last for Mishriff at York.

That 5 lengths he's going on about wouldn't that make him the best horse in the world witha rating of about 130 and make 4/1 absolutely huge.

Just asking your opinion I wouldn't have a bet in that race until the day.

Ground probably a tad too quick for winner who was sent on too soon.
Mishriff could not get a prep ace as ground not quick enough for him before this bar Royal Ascot which may have been too close.
Have to admire how he performs when he gets his ground though.
Sandown a trappy track ; they should have a false rail to allow clear passage.
Those small field high class Eclipse Stakes have often given scrappy races with lots of "What If "stories.
Nothing wrong with the 3 year old crop is the main message, roll on York and Leopardstown , hope the ground does not spoil it.

I got some of that 5/1 but not sure Mishriff was that unlucky. Soumi has said he went early because he saw Egan in a pocket, he would have waited if that hadn't been the case.

In Mishriff's favour for York is his track form and the extended 10f if it comes to Baaeed being the main oppo. Desert Crown a different matter of course. Hope all three turn up.

Last edited:
That 5 lengths he's going on about wouldn't that make him the best horse in the world witha rating of about 130 and make 4/1 absolutely huge.

With the melee toward the finish, it's crazy putting a rating on any of the principals,imo.

It's crazy him saying Mishriff was 5 lengths better than the end result.

Even if I lived on Zod I couldn't come up with that one.

It was a bit of a muddling race and at the end of the day in the cold light of day the result is the result and the best horse won

He wins in clear air.

As for York, a case of does Baaeed get the trip. He would have had the cigar out today approaching the 1 pole.

I think we can make excuses for horses all day but it worls 2 ways

Looking back at the form book and what Soumillon had to say
if it had been g/s or soft he'd have won a minute.

My take on Mishriff is he was slow to pick up and would have been even slower getting his act together on slower ground.

Vadeni has won despite hating the ground and that's that.

I can't see Mishriff beating Desert Crown or Baaeed who if I am being honest with myself look a class apart from yesterday's turnout.

However I am far from convinced the Baaeed is unbeatble. He's in fashion with the media for now but I see him as a bubble waiting to be burst and Desert Crown could be the thorn that does it.

Off a steady early pace, it's inevitable that the stragglers will finish fast at this level, and I've absolutely no doubt Mishriff was flattered because of it.
Bay Bridge was outpaced and still looks to need a proper test, maybe the King George, though I believe SMS may have Desert Crown pencilled in for that.
Wouldn't be backing anything for York race yet, though that's a much fairer track, and a proper perspective on the pecking order should be more apparent after it.

Testing:

sandown-park_20220702_1435 (racing-uk-production.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com)

(Works for me.)

Those don't look like fast closing sectionals although I'm not sure what the efficient closing percentage should be. The on-screen speedo was showing them slowing down, just as with the mile handicap earlier on the card. That strikes me as normal. Horses 90% of the time are slowing through last furlongs and the uphill finish here will slow them down all the more.

The nature of that final turn at Sandown should favour speed horses because they clearly slow down quite a bit in order to negotiate it safely so the kickers are at an advantage.

The more I see the race the more I'm impressed with Mishriff's effort. There's one TV angle that shows he loses at least two lengths - as well as momentum - and he does remarkably well to get so close.

Factor in Adele Mulrennan's paddock remark that he was clearly short of peak fitness and it becomes all the more meritorious. Desert Crown will have to improve a fair bit to get within sniffing distance of him.

Then there's Baaeed, of course...

Last edited:
Gosden’s take (even he doesn’t seem to think wfa counts)

“Great run, delighted with him. Just missed the break. We had wanted to follow Bay Bridge, but we just missed it so we wound up down on the rail, but he has run a fabulous race,” said Gosden, who trains in partnership with his son Thady.

“I am thrilled with the way he finished. David did everything right, just having missed the break and it was a super run. You have three-year-olds getting a lot of weight – never forget the weight they get – it is very handy when you have a three-year-old. And he has split the two three-year-olds, so I am absolutely over the moon with him.

“I think he is fit enough. He is not blowing much, but he has run a superb race against two star three-year-olds.

“Saudi did not go well. He got a whole load of sand down his throat.”

Oh! Can’t find a way to copy or do a screen shot, but they are there on RacingTV in the free results if you go there (which I expect you have already :))
Cheers, BJ - they clearly show that the pace only lifted from 3 out, rendering much less of a test than it could have been.

Gosden’s take (even he doesn’t seem to think wfa counts)

“Great run, delighted with him. Just missed the break. We had wanted to follow Bay Bridge, but we just missed it so we wound up down on the rail, but he has run a fabulous race,” said Gosden, who trains in partnership with his son Thady.

“I am thrilled with the way he finished. David did everything right, just having missed the break and it was a super run. You have three-year-olds getting a lot of weight – never forget the weight they get – it is very handy when you have a three-year-old. And he has split the two three-year-olds, so I am absolutely over the moon with him.

“I think he is fit enough. He is not blowing much, but he has run a superb race against two star three-year-olds.

“Saudi did not go well. He got a whole load of sand down his throat.”
But JG's hardly going to criticise his pilot is he, particularly in view of recent events?
A pace aware jockey should have realised there wasn't much early pace, and the rail wasn't the place to be. DE had ample opportunity, after about 4f, to extricate the horse, but continued his blind furrow until it was too late - not the first time he demonstrated poor positional sense yesterday, either.

Can post all the shyte you want after the race it changes nothing and proves even less.

Rowlands is a shockingly bad judge when it comes to picking winners and get's money for what???

He breaks the race down into 3 sections but if you change section A it affects section B which affects section 3
Change section 2 and that affects section 3 by which time you are totally none the wiser of what would have won.

Once you have analysed the figures you have to then find a race where they all meet again and then what?

No guaratee a thing will change which makes the whole exercise a waste of fookin time.

On the other hand sectionals do give weight (or not) to the visual impression we have gained.

Back