Simon Holt

Beidh Tine Anseo ...'a Gaelic name' ..he explained. He then went on to pronounce it something like 'Bay Tinny OnShow'

Bizarrely, there was no such problems with Pistolet Noir...

Oh, come on. Most of us have had some schooling in Latin, French or one of the other Romance languages - you're as bad as the Welsh for thinking some obscure, dead-to-the-wider-world lingo would be pronounced properly anywhere other than within its narrow confines. Let me hear you pronounce Qatar correctly and I might let you off for calling him an idiot. You did say idiot, didn't you, and not eejit?

Given that no commentator can be arsed to find out how to pronounce the name of the best jumper of the last 40 years correctly, it's hardly a surprise.

Seeming as no one can pronounce or spell my name correctly I would not lose much sleep over it either.

Last edited:
Krizon, I'm pretty sure you're joking but, just in case you're not, surely there should be a plater from Fontwell with a lovely owner who you should be crying over...

Fact is, if you draw down a wage to do a particular job, you have a responsibility to try and research and do the best you can do in that position. So, if your job involves pronouncing names, you have a responsibility to at least try and learn how a particular name should be spoken....it may not always work....and that's fair enough...but if it comes across like you've made no effort, and you qualify it by saying 'well, it's a Gaelic name' ...then, that's pretty pathetic. I'm sure the Simon Holt of 2000 might have looked it up but, alas, he's complacent now and doesn't need to bother. Which sums up C4...

Yes: it's 'Bigtime Arse Hole', I'm reliably informed by one of my dear Irish friends.

I agree with Bobbyjo - he's in a very powerful position in Irish politics and could have me taken out like a mere speck - except that he must also concede that Dessie Scahill is shite at pronouncing anything that isn't Irish...

Yes, of course I was winding y'all up a bit. I agree that commentators ought to get a pronunciation sheet on names before the races. Horses with Italian and French names are regularly mispronounced, too, and as for Chaparse trying to say anything that isn't the plainest English - forgeddaboudit! He can't pronounce simple English names, and it's really not smart that we can't be bothered to do that much, let alone wrestle with Welsh, Irish, German, Polish, Japanese, etc.

There are very few presenters, either, who bother to find out the correct pronunciation of horse or foreign trainer/owner/jockey names. I sent Chaparse an e-mail telling him how to pronounce a South African (actually, Afrikaaner) name correctly, and rebuked him for his dreadful guttural gargling of Jean-Pierre Guillambert at the same time. It's not Guillambercchhh, ffs, but he seems to find it unrelentingly amusing to wreck it.

Last edited:
'Beidh' can be pronounced Bye or Bay depending on where you are from - I say 'bye'

'Tine' - either TINN-a or CHIN-a is fine

'anseo' - is harder: on-SHH-uh is as close as I can suggest. The 'u' is pronounced like the 'u' sound in hush.

It means 'there will be a fire here' - bit strange.

Actually, when I went to attend Goff's sales a couple of years back, I bought an Irish-English dictionary beforehand, in order to be polite enough to greet the locals in their own language, say thank you, goodbye, etc. After translating what I thought was a reciprocal greeting in the comfort of my hotel room, I realise that I had been told to feck off back to my imperialist bastard roots, Cromwellian cow.

Actually, I found it under 'Everyday Phrases', Eggy! ;)

('Tis times like this I miss An Capall's input... )

Last edited:
What's the Gaelic for Give us yer money and feck off, Eggy?

(Seems to be a common sentiment in most countries for foreign visitors.)

Eggy... :lol::lol: believe me, it didn't even take up a page!

No, to be fair, the ladies in the shops were delightful, even if I left them pairiliseach with laughter after trying out 'good afternoon' on them. The hotel staff were lovely, too, but they were mostly Polish!

'Beidh' can be pronounced Bye or Bay depending on where you are from - I say 'bye'

When I went to school, "beidh" was pronounced BEG. It all depends on the dialect used. So you could find that he pronounces it right, in one dialect, but it still sounds wrong. I remember when Alhaarth was running and we all called him as it was spelt as opposed to Al-Har-reth (I think!!).

So given Bobby's break down, it translates to Bay Tinn O Shuu

So Bay Tin On Show, probably ain't a million miles off then ?

What drama, a commentator gets one letter out on a pronunciation , shock horror.

Mind you amazes me how many commentators are so thick to pronounce Vanadium as;

Va Neigh Di Umm when if they listened at school they would know it's Va Nad Di Umm, oh hang on Holt pronounced it right at Donny last year !

Beidh Tine Anseo has been called "Beg Tine Ants E-O" for most of the summer - I was glad to hear a pronunciation which was at least close to correct at the weekend. Commentators tend to ask the connections of horses about pronunciations. Current connections didn't name him and I took the opportunity of trying to educate Peter Scudamore when the horse ran at Cheltenham last month (he did ask, for advice, honest). Perhaps I'm the one to blame! :D

....and Thommo, nor anyone else, can get Voy Por Ustedes right - its pronunciation nor its meaning! I did explain it to Thommo last year and he was most grateful, but not sure it sank in.

Back