Sprinter Sacre Appreciaton Group

• Thread starter Thread starter ArkleSupreme
  • Start date Start date
A

ArkleSupreme

I will start a Sprinter Sacre Appreciation thread on the horse already nicknamed "Black Aeroplane" to chart his further progress for this NH season.

He starts at Cheltenham on Sunday where they had to reopen the race as so few entered originally !

Just hope the bookies don't start offering Frankel type odds about him each time he runs.....the last Great chaser to be 1/10 in any major race was Arkle in the 1966 Cheltenham Gold Cup.....will we see those sort of odds about Sprinter Sacre sometime in the future ?

Last edited:
reckon tanlic might have the odd post or two in this :lol:

looking forward to seeing his return on sunday, and more so to the tingle creek of course.

Paul Nicholls has been very buoyish about Sanctuaire for that race....it should certainly sort out who "the real deal" is !

yeah if sanctuaire puts in the same performance he did in the celebration chase then i think it could give something for ss to think about but a lot of people tend to think it'll play right into his hands and sanctuaire will be nothing but a pacemaker for him.

hope sizing goes for it as well.

Barry Geraghty rode the likes of Moscow Flyer and Kicking King and he already knows what Sprinter Sacre is all about....he will follow Ruby around and pick him off at his leisure...I am most confident about that.

Last edited:
If Doeslessthanme runs & there are no other entries, I'd guess he'll be 1/5, but without him more Frankel'ish at 1/9

I'm no odds on backer, but those prices look about right to me

If you want a financial interest in all his runs, then 9/4 to be undefeated (must run twice) with the Tote is no great value but should give a run for your money. Hope these are not famous last words!

Was at the season preview evening at Cheltenham Racecourse on Sunday and Lee Motterhead said for him the whole 2m chase season will be defined at the seven fences down the back at Sandown during the Tingle Creek when it is assumed Sanctuaire will bomb through them jumping long as he does and this could be the first time Sprinter Sacre has been under pressure with his jumping and potentially the first time he could make a mistake and if he does how will it affect the result that day and also his confidence for later in the season.

Moving to The Festival though Barry Geraghty thinks the only problem for SS is the Cheltenham hill after the winning post as it's not long enough to pull him up:)

Last edited:
Thanks,Perpetual.

Obviously,the bookies will take no chances though, unlike Frankel, he will always have at least 8 fences to negotiate so I hope they are not talking in terms of Frankelesque prices !

9/4 is still tempting, however,even though it is on the mean side .

Good retort....though only "Himself" is worthy of immortality !

Were you around when he was racing in the 60s ?

Was at the season preview evening at Cheltenham Racecourse on Sunday and Lee Motterhead said for him the whole 2m chase season will be defined at the seven fences down the back at Sandown during the Tingle Creek when it is assumed Sanctuaire will bomb through them jumping long as he does and this could be the first time Sprinter Sacre has been under pressure with his jumping and potentially the first time he could make a mistake and if he does how will it affect the result that day and also his confidence for later in the season.

Moving to The Festival though Barry Geraghty thinks the only problem for SS is the Cheltenham hill after the winning post as it's not long enough to pull him up:)

Wing-and-a-prayer flannel from Mottershead. Sacre will probably haul his way to the front after two fences, and jump them all ragged. He's too good and will make a mockery of the 3lbs the handicapper has between him and Sanctuaire.

I dont think Sprinter Sacre is worthy of this adulation yet. Cue Card was too close and in with too much of a chance coming to the last in last years Arkle for him to be getting quite this much respect. I think he is good, and Im not sure if Sanctuaire is the one to beat him, but I'm not convinced he is as bombproof as Master Minded or Moscow Flyer yet. (they werent)

You're right Hawk Wing. I mean, what has Cue Card done for that form since?

Last edited:
Interesting view,HawkWing....love the name and I took a big hit off Barry Dennis at Sandown when he won the Eclipse, backing him at 1/2 there,and he was certainly the best Derby runner-up since Dancing Brave....though Barry Geraghty has already remarked Sprinter Sacre is the best horse he has sat on, whilst he rode Moscow Flyer too,and the Henderson star has certainly been the more formidable jumper thus far.

Last edited:
Your right Hawk Wing. I mean, what has Cue Card done for that form since?

Yeah. Beat Edgardo Sol well. Cue Card is the only horse approaching top class that Sprinter Sacre has beaten. So full of speed that his only 2m run in a chase was in the Arkle and whose aim is the King George. There may be nothing to take him on but if people are talking about Frankel type prices, I'll definitely take my chance.

The owner of Edgardo Sol actually works for the same company as me and they didn't expect to beat Cue Card at Exeter though they hope to go for some big prize money races with him with view to getting substantial place money.

Back against Sprinter Sacre this season at your peril,however !

I dont think Sprinter Sacre is worthy of this adulation yet. Cue Card was too close and in with too much of a chance coming to the last in last years Arkle for him to be getting quite this much respect. I think he is good, and Im not sure if Sanctuaire is the one to beat him, but I'm not convinced he is as bombproof as Master Minded or Moscow Flyer yet. (they werent)
he's the most exciting, anticipated & probably talked about horse in jumps training atm. if anything he probably deserves a thread to debate over him and follow his progress over the season. this can be it.

If he only has to beat Edguardo Sol, he will easily win the Champion Chase. It wont neccesarily prove that he is a superstar though.

People thought Peddlers Cross was the bees knees and were wrong. But the defeat at Kempton didnt count for much. Toubab and French Opera likewise.

Amazing style but no Frankel yet.

I hope Sizing Europe comes back to Sandown - that would tell us probably more than anything about Sprinter Sacre and Sanctuaire- somehow I doubt he will come over though . I don't think the Champion Chase was Lynch's finest hour .

It was unfortunate that the final fence was dolled off in the Champion 2 mile chase otherwise the result may have been different !

And..yes...maybe I am talking through my pocket as I backed Sizing Europe to win that day !

Whether the last fence is in play or not will have little bearing on next years outcome,however.

I would recommend that you young fellas enjoy every minute of him you can because you may never see anything like him again.

All I can think of saying is he's the best I have ever seen bar 1 and within 12 months comparisons will be made by everyone and their uncles and it will be Sea-Bird V Frankel all over again

The fact he hasn't run at 3 miles is not to say he wont and even if he doesn't Frankel just proved you don't have to run in Derby and Arcs to become the greatest.

Arkle fans will always point out he had to give lumps of weight away but take Sundays race..........98lbs superior they say. They'd need Tweety Pie to ride them

The handicap that would bring Sprinter Sacre and others together has not been invented.

Back