Sprinter Sacre Appreciaton Group

• Thread starter Thread starter ArkleSupreme
  • Start date Start date
Agree Sandown's a unique test - no other course has 7 fences so close, with so little to break up the pace - and it can make veritable superstars of otherwise ordinary horses (Twist Magic, for instance).
Sanctuaire (imo) is one of those ordinary horses, and while he's OK bombing off in front of slow 2 milers like Somersby and Wishfull Thinking, no way will he be able to do the same to Sprinter Sacre.
The OH has just 3lbs between the two; I'd be surprised if it's not north of a stone before much longer.

Realistically how many times will he run this year 3 or 4? 9/4 is very skinny.ive been taking the Evens for QM though,think it will be more 2/7 come March.

Tanlic...at least we are both singing from the same hymnsheet regarding the undoubted prowess of Sprinter Sacre...hence my creation of this thread...though I will have to confirm that despite his brilliance aged 6...he still did not achieve as much as Mill House did at that age, albeit over different distances !

Mill House remains the greatest English chaser ever seen so far...and it took a total "freak" to end his reign, otherwise without an Arkle existing he would have equalled Golden Miller and won 5 Gold Cups too !

He never match the greatest of all time .king kauto !!! But is a very good horse and look forward to see him running against better opposition I just think sizing Europe will give him something to think about !!! The only two horses to win he same race 5 times Golden miller and the greatest of them all kauto star best mate ,arkle on 3 !!

Last edited:
Sprinter Sacre is impossibly good... I keep pinching myself, I can't quite believe the concentration of ability he has. We've really no idea about how good he might be. He's a natural. Many great horses are good at doing one or two things very well. It seems to me he has all of the bases covered. He's already better than anything in training and may well finish up as one of the best ever.

Last edited:
Arkle never won 5 gold cups he won 3 fact and is with the likes of best mate and cottage rake only golden miller and kauto star stand alone at the top with 5 but kauto is more impressive as these days horses are much faster and fitter than back in the 60 s

Arkle never won 5 gold cups he won 3 fact and is with the likes of best mate and cottage rake only golden miller and kauto star stand alone at the top with 5 but kauto is more impressive as these days horses are much faster and fitter than back in the 60 s

when did KS win 5 GC's?

Arkle and Best Mate equals?..odd comment for me that one

i doubt if horses today are that much faster..but lets say they are..took to its extreme then a selling plater from today might have won a GC..horses are judged on what they ran against..and most years the pack are of a similar level as a whole

Last edited:
And where is your evidence that horses are faster now than back in the 60s?

yes..i'd like to see someone show that..its easy to say but not easy to back up.

i would say that the best way to try and show it would be using an all weather surface rather than turf track records that are dependant on surface hardness

yes AW does speed up from time to time but when it does you tend to get a good few races from horses of a similar level running on it.

we have only had AW racing for a short period relatively but anyone wanting to prove that horses get faster should be looking there imo

was it mid late 90's when AW started?..if so then we are getting on 20 years so if horses do get faster it should show to some degree already

Last edited:
Kauto star and golden miller are the only two horses in history to win the same race five times I mean arkle won 3 gold cups but so did best mate and cottage rake I regard horses that can win the same race many times that no horse has ever done very highly , and i believe kauto star to be the greatest of all time and think in my opinion would of beaten arkle no problem

Kauto star and golden miller are the only two horses in history to win the same race five times I mean arkle won 3 gold cups but so did best mate and cottage rake I regard horses that can win the same race many times that no horse has ever done very highly , and i believe kauto star to be the greatest of all time and think in my opinion would of beaten arkle no problem

so it doesn't matter what they beat each time?

do you think See You Then was better than Sea Pigeon, Night Nurse and Istabraq then?

Last edited:
To me it doesn't matter if you win by a lenth as long as you win like football u only have to win by a goal ,you don't have score 25 a game you still get 3 points ! Of course it matters who you beat I'm not denying that ,to win 16 grade 1 races and was the highest rated chaser at 2 to 3 m 2 I just regard kauto star the greatest of all time and believe he would of beaten arkle around kemton no problem at all , I also do believe arkle raced in a weaker era that's for sure than now !

To me it doesn't matter if you win by a lenth as long as you win like football u only have to win by a goal ,you don't have score 25 a game you still get 3 points ! Of course it matters who you beat I'm not denying that ,to win 16 grade 1 races and was the highest rated chaser at 2 to 3 m 2 I just regard kauto star the greatest of all time and believe he would of beaten arkle around kemton no problem at all , I also do believe arkle raced in a weaker era that's for sure than now !

is see you then better than those though using your way of measuring horses

To me every one keeps going on about giving weight away kauto couldn't give weight away but he did beat his stable companion 9 lb and a 21 lenth beating why enter in a grade 2 or 3 race when you can win a grade 1 with more prize money if you or me owned a horse this good wouldn't you go for grade 1 I certainly would ,arkle 2012 is way over to me but kauto to get to 191of levels is astonishing and let's not forget mill house gave arkle weight and beat him I just think kauto is the better horse ,the reason I think horses are quicker these days is because most of the track records are held by horses today yes I knw ground comes in to play ect ,but that's my opinion

Last edited:
To me every one keeps going on about giving weight away kauto couldn't give weight away but he did beat his stable companion 9 lb and a 21 lenth beating why enter in a grade 2 or 3 race when you can win a grade 1 with more prize money if you or me owned a horse this good wouldn't you go for grade 1 I certainly would ,arkle 2012 is way over to me but kauto to get to 191of levels is astonishing and let's not forget mill house gave arkle weight and beat him I just think kauto is the better horse ,the reason I think horses are quicker these days is because most of the track records are held by horses today yes I know ground comes in to play ect ,but that's my opinion

but is See You then a better hurdler than Night Nurse, Sea Pigeon..and the equal of Istabraq

Yes because in my opinion the opposition was so poor what arkle faced 2 of his gold cups only 3 about run ,and what did he beat in his king George a horse that was a top 2 miler who couldn't get 3 miles if he tried ,he was made to look good but put in today races I'm sure he wouldn't of dominated like he did I'm sure of that

Frankel was retired at 4yo , he never won the Derby nor did he win the Arc or the Breeders but that doesn't mean he not one of the greatest flat hoses of all time.

Arkle broke a pedal bone or God only knows how many Gold Cup's he would won but certainly he'd have picked up the next 3 winners of the Gold Cup and carried them.

Horses may be a bit faster than your run of the mill chaser of the 60's and I am pretty sure Kauto Star certainly was but Arkle was no ordinary horse and inherited his speed from Nearco who was never beaten.

Arkle had speed to burn and with all respect you are talking shyte:p

Prove to me arkle can beat kauto star or vice versa ...... It can never be proved but all I knw is kauto holds the track record at kempton and demolishes arkles time so I doubt I'm talking shite like you tanlic , kauto could of won another 2 king George's but I don't want to hear what arkle could of done ,he didn't if flying bolt made to the 66 gold cup arkle wouldn't of won it anyway

Last edited:
Back