Sprinter Sacre: should he run at further distances?

If it was about the money you wouldn't own horses in the first place. They should have a go - It isn't guaranteed that SS will get the trip (though I consider it likely). It will be fecking boring if all the good horses avoid him wherever he goes.

what if he finished 2nd in the Irish race,,£ wise it wouldn't be much different

is cc owner a bit short of money that we play this £ game all the time

if it is just about money then just race in the £ highest value races all season..oh no you can't in case SS is in one?...ffs

sorry but this £ stuff is starting to look like a chickening out excuse to me

have a go for goodness sake..the game is going to get so tedious if its all about dodging opponents

You think the owner is the only person who loses out ? The jockey the trainer the head lad the girl who looks after him etc etc all make less money if the owner makes the wrong decision.......simple for you and others like you.......you want entertained and don't give a hoot about anyone else.

Sorry if that is a bit blunt EC but it's a fact.

I hope they do run Cue Card and Flemenstar as I stand to win a huge some of money if Sprinter Sacre breaks the 200 barrier with Timeform before the end of next season but if I was Colin Tizzard I would go to Ireland where he'd be near unbeatable if SS and Flemenstar didn't run.

Isn't part of the reason behind the Tizzard's thinking that Cue Card may not have recovered enough from his RyanAir exertions, and that the Punchestown race would give him more time?

I hope they do run Cue Card and Flemenstar as I stand to win a huge some of money if Sprinter Sacre breaks the 200 barrier with Timeform before the end of next season

:lol: 3 gizillion baht?

Last edited:
I wish....I sent some money to the uk the other day and nearly dropped when I saw the exchange rate..44.6285 ..was 68 not that long ago.........you should buy shares in Waddingtons because pretty soon all the pound will be good for is playing Monopoly :lol:

Isn't part of the reason behind the Tizzard's thinking that Cue Card may not have recovered enough from his RyanAir exertions, and that the Punchestown race would give him more time?
Possibly Reet.........I couldn't swear to this but I think the only horse who won at Aintree after winning at Cheltenham few years back was Tidal Bay when he won the Arkle.

It could be with the softer going that horses will have taken more out of themselves than normal and a few upsets will be on the cards again

Not really, Bar.
IIRC, Colin Tizzard said right after the RyanAir that Cue Card might be best with time between his races - a while before SS ever became a player.

This is my thinking too. Possibly convenient, but a definate factor, you'd not want to bugger him up by attempting it if he isn't quite recovered enough.

What's the weather doing up there anyway - is there any chance it will be off??!

Last edited:
What's the weather doing up there anyway - is there any chance it will be off??!

Cold, slowly becoming less cold but most significantly staying predominantly dry over the next 10 days or so, say I with foolhardy confidence

No chance then that the meeting will be off and I'd forecast it to be run on rather sparse sickly turf and dead but in the circumstances goodish going

Judging by the posts on this thread and elsewhere one would be forgiven for believing that SS is a definite for the Melling. Unless I've missed some updates from Henderson et al isn't it still something around evens each of two Aintree or Punchestown and 66/1 both?

Finnys did last year as well
I was talking specifically about 2008 when the ground was on the softer side of good and the Champion Hurdle was run in high winds pretty shitty conditions much like this year....I just think it was pretty tough for a lot of the horses this year and expecting them to carry Cheltenham form forward to Aintree might be a big ask.

"Cue Card is on course for the John Smith's Melling Chase. He did some fast work today and he couldn't be in better form," the Ryanair winner's trainer Colin Tizzard is up for a clash with Sprinter Sacre next week.
good man

You think the owner is the only person who loses out ? The jockey the trainer the head lad the girl who looks after him etc etc all make less money if the owner makes the wrong decision.......simple for you and others like you.......you want entertained and don't give a hoot about anyone else.

i'm not really buying that Tanlic...dodging one horse is silly..you talk as though the other race is a gimme and guaranteed win money...that 2nd place money behind SS might look a lot more £ than an unplaced somewhere else

don't forget..NO horse is unbeatable..so you always have some chance of the win as well

you making a judgement about me at the end of that which is unfair as well..you have no idea what i do or don't give a hoot about tbh

for a start..its time the stable staff were paid properly never mind having to rely on horses winning big races..what they do is way more important than what any owner does..anybody can be an owner,,you just buy a horse..the people looking after them have what money can't actually buy..dedication for one

Last edited:
EC
owners are the key
they put the money
and without that money you dont have races

don't agree..nationalise the game then..instead of pi$$ing money at moron bankers..put the next 75 billion into buying some horses

the really important people here are those that CARE for the animals..the rest are an irrelevance to me....they can be replaced if need be

Last edited:
don't agree..nationalise the game then..instead of pi$$ing money at moron bankers..put the next 75 billion into buying some horses

the really important people here are those that CARE for the animals..the rest are an irrelevance to me....they can be replaced if need be
You're dreaming......there was no National Velvet and stables are not full of horse loving saints.Some real rough diamonds you wouldn't share a can of coke with work in yards and most would fail an exam to sell hamburgers.

Most trainers lose money year in year out you go tell them owners aren't important.

As for owners JP buys horses and has helped dozens of trainer. He also raises the odd Euro for charities.........63 million of them in the last 10 years. Jackdaw cost zillion to set up and you think people like him and others can be replaced? Nonsense! They're a hundred times more important than stable staff who are 10 a penny

Last edited:
You're dreaming......there was no National Velvet and stables are not full of horse loving saints.Some real rough diamonds you wouldn't share a can of coke with work in yards and most would fail an exam to sell hamburgers.

Most trainers lose money year in year out you go tell them owners aren't important.

As for owners JP buys horses and has helped dozens of trainer. He also raises the odd Euro for charities.........63 million of them in the last 10 years. Jackdaw cost zillion to set up and you think people like him and others can be replaced? Nonsense! They're a hundred times more important than stable staff who are 10 a penny

so..stable staff are rough as f00k, thick as last weeks gravy..and uncaring?

any owner can be replaced..lots of people with money out there..and if not..then bang 75 billion at it and we'll all own them

owners may be important to you...but they aren't to me.

I havent thought I was going to agree with Tanlic against EC in a post,
but I strongly agree with the former, owners are essential

to clean a barn you will find many people
and even someone like Luke harvey can ride or someone like Clive Brittain train a classic winner.

without the owners there is no money, without money there are not races.

That's economically illiterate. It's like saying that a business only exists because of shareholders and customers and staff are irrelevant. Absolute rubbish

Would the owners be in the game without the prize money, attention, crowds, atmosphere ,tv coverage and glory if none of these aspects existed? And where do these originate from?

It's rather like setting up a business with a product that no one wants and no knows exists. Who would buy into that in their right mind?

Of course there's money without owners. Wtf is the levy then? What are admission charges?

To give ne micro example, if owners lose lots of money overpaying for dud horses that because the competition between owners has determined that price not hat they are being philanthropic or charitable

My bet is that most owners lose most at the point of purchase and frankly that's down to their own market and little else. Top class horses would still be bred if the market collapsed (although obviously there is a level ). And it would take some collapse to justify turning gallieo into a tesco burger

Last edited:
If most trainers are losing money who the hell is funding them? Banks? I would love to broker some finance for a loss making horse racing trainer. No fcking chance. Can't even fund decent businesses in present climate

Constant loses inevitably lead to bankruptcy and how many trainers have been declared bankrupt recently? A few no doubt but what % ?

Clive you need to have a fair some of money in the bank before you can even get a licence to train. Most trainers are pretty wealthy before going into the game. Some have secondary incomes and a best make a modest profit, many have good landlords/owners who subsidise them by charging little or no rent some have overdrafts secured to land/property. If they are a good judge of horseflesh they can buy and sell a few horses to subsidise the training side of the business......Some get so fed up of subsiding their business/hobby they just walk away like Lenny Lungo did and he holds the record for the most winners trained by a Scottish trainer. One of my old fiends has been training for years and never makes a coin but he is also a Director/part owner of a his families tyre business..........there's more than one way of skinning a cat to keep doing something you really want to

Back