St James Palace Stakes

Great write up GS. I also have begun to strongly fancy Evasive, as Mastercraftsman and Delegator are crazy prices, the former for ground concerns, and the latter for ability and overracing. I would also have never looked at MCM as a top miler, but I could be wrong. Evasive was short of work for the Guineas and has much more scope to come forward than MCM who has had a slog in the mud in the meantime. Great each way bet.

The Ballydoyle pacemakers will make this into a war going off with Mastercraftsman in third taking it up off the bend. I think he will win this and by some margin. No concerns whatsoever about the ground.

Fair enough - good to see a strong opinion!

I think he may well go well on it, but well enough to win is the thing. I'd imagine Evasive will be in a similar position and they'll be next to each other starting their runs - lets hope so!

I can't be on an odds on shot after reading this from when Mastercraftsman ran in France last year..and flopped badly at 4/9

He came into this unbeaten in four starts including the Phoenix Stakes and National Stakes (both Group 1s) and was also proven over the trip and on the ground, so this has to go down as disappointing but connections felt this was a race too many and his previous run on heavy ground had left its mark.

Runs tomorrow after a similar hvy ground romp..interval time is similar..could flop..so for that reasom..I'm out:)

Its not a strong race..

Stoutey is 1/31 with his 3yo's over a mile here..so I assume he is little more than chancing his arm with Evasive

Meehan is 1/41 with 3yo in general here..plus Delegator needs Good..not fast ground..according to Meehan

I'll have a few bob on Intense Focus..now this is a value price imo..16.0

Its not the best St James Palace I've seen :mad:

Last edited:
Mastercraftsman must not be missed tomorrow. He is a division above these others and must win unless he falls down a hole. There are no going concerns. He is best on this going. he won very easily last time and is in the form of his life.

Not at all. I warned everyone to steer clear of him in France. He had a very tough race in the National Stakes, which was when they should have ended his season. It is quite the oposite here. He has only just hit form.

Evasive may be worth a place. There's no value on anything else as far as I can see.

I'm not greedy at Royal Ascot. I aim to double my stake. We can do that here in one hit here... although I'll probably end up frittering it away on other races.

Struggling here, I'm at work and can't access betting sites. 5live don't seem to be involved either. Need a price update.

Had a small few quid on Delegator for an interest. Purely on the basis of how well he travelled at Newmarket only to run into a very good 'un.

Great guts from MC but he really must be one who excel on softer surely? Is it even possible he didnt like the ground?

What Gareth? Were they ridden on their merits, yes or no?

Sea the stars still by far the best miler seen this year; MCM needs soft ground to run to his best. Delegator and Evasive non stayers, former would be of massive interest in the July Cup.

Delegator for me is a sprinter, he comes there travelling but no quickening from him there. The winner and second were not getting away from the 3rd and Evasive and Intense Focus kept boxing on.

Great ride from Johnny and the winner very game but for me a mile doesn't suit Delegator especially on a stiff track and for me I would like to see him come back to 7f or 6f, especially if aimed at the Sprint Cup at Haydock where he would get a bit of juice.

I'm bored stupid by it Hamm. Complaining about Ballydoyle pacemakers, regardless of whether they go off too fast, too slow, just right, or whatever, has become beyond tedious.

Sea the stars still by far the best miler seen this year; MCM needs soft ground to run to his best. Delegator and Evasive non stayers, former would be of massive interest in the July Cup.

Not sure I agree on that, he was running on the one pace for my liking and just needs juice in the ground imo.

Were Bustino's pace makers ridden on their merits in the '75 KG? No, they were ridden to take the sting out of Grundy's finish. This AOB baiting is xenophobic imo and should stop.

I'm bored stupid by it Hamm. Complaining about Ballydoyle pacemakers, regardless of whether they go off too fast, too slow, just right, or whatever, has become beyond tedious.

Sort of agree but for me Set Sail was cooked there and given he was 4th in a French Guineas he certainly wasn't ridden to achieve that identical performance.

In some countries don't they declare as pacemakers ?? so there finishing position is void, I would personally like to see that with a couple of races and so on, as those type of horses are never betting propositions and is there really any worth for them in the betting ?

MCM was absurdly short today. One does wonder whether he would be better stepping up to 10f.

Delegator did seem to hang fire again a bit .

Good job STS has stepped up in trip - he would have cantered all over them .

Nothing to worry Paco Boy there !

Back