St Leger

Ardross

Senior Jockey
A good renewal . Sea Moon , Census and Blue Bunting all impressed on their last outings . One gets the feeling that but for his commitments Hughes thinks Sea Moon has more gears than Census .

They look the first three to me in that order. The jocking off of Kingscote is odd on Brown Panther . Fallon has not shone in the Leger - his ride on Quiff for example was unspeakably crap.

Last edited:
I agree it's a very good St Leger. Why was Kingscote jocked off? Surely that's the end of him on Owen's horses altogether?

Is Blue Bunting or Brown Panther the e/w the bet? I'm inclined to think it has to be the filly.

Between Sea Moon and Blue Bunting for me. Sea Moon may have been flattered last time out but he was awesomely impressive visually. Blue Bunting has not received the accolades she deserves for a top class season so far. Decent renewal.

I'm sure the Hughes decision is political.Fallon is on a roll at the moment and if the horse is good enough he will get the assistance he needs from the saddle.
A well above average Leger.

Why was Kingscote jocked off?

He looked weak as a kitten in the finish at Newbury. Census not only had a better jockey by far that day he also got first run on Brown Panther. There is no way the Hannon horse should be half the price.

Last edited:
Brown Panther still has to back up that Ascot run. I would want the double figure prices available. The funny thing is after Ascot I thought he might be too good to be running in a Leger.

I'd agree with that. Brown Panther looks about the price he should be, Census is horrible value.

I'd favour the filly at the moment.

She is unlikely to get much shorter than the 4/1 currently avialale. As usual with there big races it will pay to keep your powder dry until the bookmakers look to take us on come the day of the race.

I'd put Richard Hills on the under rated list! New thread required or we will be accused of not taking the Leger seriously.

What about the three currently most over rated? Spencer, Fallon and Queally?

Queally undoubtedly !

Fallon is a light of former years for all his scrabbling for winners round gaff tracks

Spencer is riding pretty well .

About The jockey getting jocked off...

Reading between the lines, connections werent happy with the ride given to him in the German Derby. They didnt want him to go to the front at all that day and in his last race, Brown Panther arguably should have won, the jockey let Census get 1st run on him that day. So thats 2 rides in a row oln the same horse, I can see why they have jocked him off. Furthermore, even though the horse won at Ascot, Dascombe thought he kicked on too soon as well so.............its a combo of things i imagine.

Reading between the lines, connections werent happy with the ride given to him in the German Derby. They didnt want him to go to the front at all that day and in his last race, Brown Panther arguably should have won, the jockey let Census get 1st run on him that day. So thats 2 rides in a row oln the same horse, I can see why they have jocked him off. Furthermore, even though the horse won at Ascot, Dascombe thought he kicked on too soon as well so.............its a combo of things i imagine.

A fair analysis but apart from the German derby I do not think the criticism justified . In hindsight getting a long lead from Census at ascot was a good idea and Census was just the better horse at Newbury . Brown Panther had ages to get past and could not .

Last edited:

Where did you hear he thought he'd kicked too soon at Ascot?

As I was debating on Twitter last night, it defies all logic to not use your stable jockey in Group One races. If you don't think he's good enough to ride the best horses in the best races, you shouldn't be employing him as your stable jockey at all. I like Dascombe and the team up there but I feel this is a serious breach of loyalty and can only see Kingscote leaving at the end of the season.

Fallon is hardly Dettori or Moore either as Ardross eludes to, he's not ridden a Group One winner in the UK or Ireland since his return two years ago.

Spencer and Fallons current riding stats make some of these comments look ridiculous.

Both are top class jockeys and are probably riding better than anyone in the UK right now.

I'd agree with Spencer (possibly the best jockey riding this year) but as Ardross says, Fallon is just riding winners at gaff tracks all the time. Makes no sense to jock the stable jockey off for someone who's biggest success in the last two seasons was a German Oaks win.

That's only because of a lack of opportunity though. If nepotism wasn't so rife at Ballydoyle surely he could have ridden some of their G1 winners.

Back