St Nicholas Abbey

I'm so sorry to hear that; he'd battled so hard. The people looking after him must be devastated; he seemed such a lovely character. That dratted colic again.

Gutted to hear this. I'd imagine the colic was to do with limited movement as a horses gut is so delicate.

So so so sad.

Nx

So so sad :(, I'd thought he looked really well considering all he'd been through in the last video update too.

RIP St Nick

THIS year's Investec Coronation Cup is to be run in commemoration of the most successful horse in its history, St Nicholas Abbey, who died in January.
St Nicholas Abbey won the race traditionally run on the eve of the Investec Derby in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Trained throughout his career by Aidan O'Brien, St Nicholas Abbey earned close to £5 million in a 21-race career for Coolmore Stud partners Sue Magnier, Derrick Smith and Michael Tabor that also yielded Group 1 wins in the 2009 Racing Post Trophy, 2011 Breeders' Cup Turf and 2013 Dubai Sheema Classic.
He was put down on January 14 after losing a battle against serious illnesses including a leg fracture and laminitis.
The June 6 contest will be staged this year as the Investec Coronation Cup (In commemoration of St Nicholas Abbey).
Andrew Cooper, head of racing and clerk of the course at Epsom, said: "In completing the unique achievement of winning three consecutive Investec Coronation Cups, St Nicholas Abbey left an indelible impression on all of us at Epsom.
"We followed his brave fight to recover from serious injury with keen interest and with our fingers crossed. We are grateful to Coolmore for allowing us to honour this magnificent racehorse at this year's Investec Derby Festival."

Back